Taggart Brothers Vs Ulster Bank court case

Started by God14, December 16, 2014, 01:50:08 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

God14

Fascinating court case unfolding in Belfast between the Taggart brothers (of the now defunct Taggart Holdings) & Ulster bank.
Many lads on here following it?

JoG2

Taggart the builders? Held a wedding in Drumsurn that cost an obscene amount of money shortly before leaving a tonne of subbies completely busted. Up sticks and carry on thier shenanigans in Thailand and now seem to be back in business here under the name Taggart again...I hope they get the book thrown at them. Crooks of the highest order

cockahoop

Quote from: JoG2 on December 16, 2014, 02:39:18 PM
Taggart the builders? Held a wedding in Drumsurn that cost an obscene amount of money shortly before leaving a tonne of subbies completely busted. Up sticks and carry on thier shenanigans in Thailand and now seem to be back in business here under the name Taggart again...I hope they get the book thrown at them. Crooks of the highest order

thats the boys alright,i know one man personelly who went bust because of these crooks,hope they do get the book thrown at them but like most of that sort they will wriggle out of it some way.

yellowcard

Smacks of a pair of greedy developers trying to wriggle their way out of a large financial debt. Feel sorry for unsuspecting borrowers who are in negative equity on their homes but these big developers wanted more and more off the banks when they were giving it out. Seems grossly unfair that they can leave workers lower down the food chain standing high and dry and now sue the bank for damages.

bannside

At the risk of this coming across as excessively naive,  I'd say some of the sub contractors who were owed money might actually just be the ones praying hardest on behalf of the brothers for a favourable financial outcome.

If they win this case wouldn't you be the first at their door if you were a sub contractor who lost out previously.

I don't know the lads but I do know a few people who do know them - and wouldn't be surprised if they do win this, then a few others will do ok too.

Yes greed has a big part to play but these guys were self made entrepreneurs who might just have enough clout to help kick start some kind of recovery in the trade sector.

angermanagement

Quote from: cockahoop on December 16, 2014, 02:42:06 PM

thats the boys alright,i know one man personelly who went bust because of these crooks,hope they do get the book thrown at them but like most of that sort they will wriggle out of it some way.

I'm sure the same boys had no problem taking money of the Taggarts when things were going well. It was Ulster Bank that closed up shop not the Taggarts.

Don't be surprised if the Taggarts win this case it's the banks who I would describe as the crooks of the highest order.

God14

Quote from: angermanagement on December 16, 2014, 04:15:11 PM
Quote from: cockahoop on December 16, 2014, 02:42:06 PM

I'm sure the same boys had no problem taking money of the Taggarts when things were going well. It was Ulster Bank that closed up shop not the Taggarts.

Don't be surprised if the Taggarts win this case it's the banks who I would describe as the crooks of the highest order.

That's how I see it Angermanement. When you consider the case against the backdrop of the Tomlinson report, I can definitely see where the Taggarts are coming from.

Bensars

Quote from: bannside on December 16, 2014, 04:05:27 PM
At the risk of this coming across as excessively naive,  I'd say some of the sub contractors who were owed money might actually just be the ones praying hardest on behalf of the brothers for a favourable financial outcome.

If they win this case wouldn't you be the first at their door if you were a sub contractor who lost out previously.

I don't know the lads but I do know a few people who do know them - and wouldn't be surprised if they do win this, then a few others will do ok too.

Yes greed has a big part to play but these guys were self made entrepreneurs who might just have enough clout to help kick start some kind of recovery in the trade sector.

That original company has been wound up ?? Debts would have been with company. Cant imagine any payout from a busted company

gallsman

Quote from: Bensars on December 16, 2014, 04:47:34 PM
Quote from: bannside on December 16, 2014, 04:05:27 PM

That original company has been wound up ?? Debts would have been with company. Cant imagine any payout from a busted company

Was curious about that myself.

bannside

Legally and technically they wouldn't have to pay anything from a busted company to a busted company according to the letter of company law.
But I'd like to think if they were successful here they might ...just might...be morally troubled enough to make some restitution of some kind. Even if that had to be in a personal capacity. Is that really out of the question?

brokencrossbar1

Quote from: bannside on December 16, 2014, 06:08:24 PM
Legally and technically they wouldn't have to pay anything from a busted company to a busted company according to the letter of company law.
But I'd like to think if they were successful here they might ...just might...be morally troubled enough to make some restitution of some kind. Even if that had to be in a personal capacity. Is that really out of the question?

Are you mental in the head or something?  Holy f**k the nativity of it all!

The Subbie

Seriously? To quote a Joe brolly tweet from earlier today, what a sheltered life you must have lead up to now.

The Taggart company or multiple companies under the Taggart umbrella has went bust and with that goes the chance multiple subbies had of ever getting a penny on the various amounts owing to them.

Its always Tax man first,banks second and every one else third in these situations, by the time the first two have feasted on the carcass there is very little left.

Finally you don't know too many contractors if you think that they might be morally troubled, the level that these boys were operating at is not usually inhabited by people with with a well calibrated moral compass.

TabClear

Quote from: brokencrossbar1 on December 16, 2014, 06:11:07 PM

Are you mental in the head or something?  Holy f**k the nativity of it all!

Tis the season I suppose BC  ;)

yellowcard

To quote John McEnroe 'You cannot be serious'. When did morals enter the vocabulary of property developers. If they win the case and you believe they will suddenly have their moral conscience pricked and re-imburse  all their creditors then you are living in cloud cuckoo land. This is about trying to restore their own wealth (even if it was paper wealth) not about fighting on behalf of stricken creditors.

bannside

Put yourselves in their position. Say it's you and all of a sudden you manage to pull off a shock verdict against the bank and suddenly find yourself flush again.

In your conscience you know you screwed over ( by accident or design) some good hard working honest subbies - who were once good friends and neighbours. Because that's the reality here in many individual cases.

Would you take your money and run, or would you attempt at least to make some kind of meaningful financial gesture of the kind that would at least show you had some moral compass?

I know many wouldn't bother to do this - but I'd be heartened at least to know that some of you would/might. That's all.