New York GAA is a joke.

Started by AZOffaly, August 20, 2013, 01:21:03 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

AZOffaly

Lads, I just saw a report there on the New York 'County' final, and it's an absolute farce. Now, firstly, I have no problem with a lad going off travelling, nor have I any issue with a lad on a J1 heading to the states, or any other country and enjoying himself and playing a bit of hurling or football. I also have no problem with the lad getting a job on the back of it to help him with his travelling. That's the precursor to my rant.

My problem is with lads scattering over to New York, Boston or anywhere else, en masse, for a few weeks to play a few games. They are not doing it for the good of their health, they are not exactly helping their clubs (I'm sure Burgess would love the Mahers in the Tipperary SHC) and they are doing local lads out of games for their brief bungee appearances.

I think the GAA are considering some changes here, but I think this is just completely exploiting a flaw in the rules, and how in the Jaysus can any lad in New York say 'we've' won anything when you see the teamsheets from the final..

Senior Hurling Final
Tipp get title in battle
Tipperary 2-18 Galway 1-17

In an excellent senior hurling final, Tipperary did just enough to take the title with a storming second half performance. Galway will feel that they left it behind as they had at least four goal chances that came for naught in the second half while Tipperary were far more economical at the other end. It was neck and neck in the first half with the lead changing hands on numerous occasions. Galway had the slightest of leads at the break, 1-09 to 1-08. Cormac Murphy had the Galway goal while Brian O'Meara had rattled the net at the other end. It continued in a close fought vain for much of the second half with the Galway defense doing Trojan work. Liam Butler was outstanding in the second half alongside Ger O'Halloran. However a lot of times their clearances came back down the field after Padraig Maher and David Tracey had intervened at the other end.

ritical to Tipp's cause was the high percentage of accuracy that their attack had in particular Shane Burke and Brian O'Meara. Burke hit the net with five minutes left to finally put breathing space between the sides. Galway did have two final attacks but they were both snuffed out be stops by Craig Harford in the winner's goal.

Galway 1 Gavin Lally 2 Andrew Keane  4 Ger O'Halloran 5 Richie Gaule 6 Andrew Shore 7 Mike Cunningham 8 Martin Fennelly 9 Liam Butler 10 Ger Kelly 11 Eoin Larkin 12 Robbie Jackson 13 Paul Gordon 15 Cormac Murphy Subs Martin Dolphin Robert Mitchell

Tipperary 1 Craig Harford 2 Donagh Maher 4 Paul Shutte 5 Colm Forde 6 Padraig Maher 7 Francis Kennedy 8 David Tracey  9 Cian Maher 10 John Sheedy  11 Brian O'Meara 12 Shane Burke 13 Paul Loughnane 15 Davie Loughnane Subs Pat Egan, Fintan Maher

Read more: http://www.irishcentral.com/sport/NY-GAA-report-Tipp-get-title-in-battle-against-Galway-220169771.html#ixzz2cVlGiRXW
Follow us: @IrishCentral on Twitter | IrishCentral on Facebook

magpie seanie

AZ - that's only the half of it. There are loads of lads I've heard of this year that went over and played without transfers or sanctions (I think most clubs hold their sanctions for the big county stars) and will land back and play for their clubs at home now. What do you do? Are they illegal?

The whole thing is a farce and New York, who get treated relatively the best of all the overseas units, seems to be the most lawless of all.

AZOffaly

I played in San Diego, and in fairness to them, they seemed to do it right. I was living in Arizona at the time, so they were my club, no harm no foul. In the summer they brought in a lot of young lads, for the full summer, had to be there by July 1 I think. Lads like Anthony Moyles came over to us for the craic when he was a young lad. All J1 fellas, and all were given work as chippies, builders whatever. They all had an absolute ball, played their football, swam, sunned themselves, drank a bit, chased women, stayed until September and then went away home. Over for the full summer, no messing.

To me that is fine. They were even there for challenge matches, a decent bit of training etc. They became one of the lads.

We played Roscommon from New York in a challenge match, as our club had Roscommon connections. They invited 4 of us, 2 regulars and 2 summer lads, €400 and a free flight every weekend to head up to New York and play for them. Absolute madness. Happily none of us went for the deal. It was a non runner for me due to the fact that I was working and living a normal life in AZ. But I was delighted two of our J1 lads also turned them down. It confirmed that they considered themselves one of us at that stage, or at least wanted to keep their word. I thought it was interesting that we were approached though. The cost alone would have been 4 x $400 each match, plus flights.

johnneycool

New York hurling was always a joke to be fair, this isn't a recent thing.

I presume some of these lads are out on a 2 month summer transfer, but how could the likes of the Tipp and Dublin lads be able to play out there? Dublin were only put out the other week, and Shore from Wexford and the Tipp lads in late July??

Do these transfers only affect clubs and not counties?

Syferus

Quote from: johnneycool on August 20, 2013, 03:05:15 PM

I presume some of these lads are out on a 2 month summer transfer, but how could the likes of the Tipp and Dublin lads be able to play out there? Dublin were only put out the other week, and Shore from Wexford and the Tipp lads in late July??

Do these transfers only affect clubs and not counties?

Why would transferring at club level effect county eligibility? If a player moves from a Mayo club to a Dublin one he suddenly doesn't become ineligible for playing for his birth county.

passedit

You may ask Tony Keady about that. Twas ever thus in both codes in New York, I remember playing a match in a thunderstorm out in Rockingham? (not Gaelic park anyway) because the opposition had flown in 11 of the Galway team for the weekend and wouldn't go for a postponement, this is more than 20 years ago.
Don't Panic

pullhard

It wasn't the year they near put Antrim out during and Ulster hurling championship semi...

The teams of the team sheet are amazing. I'm sure a few lads were gutted to have put in a few months training and got dropped few a bungee-ed players.

elk

At the end of the day none of these lads are on contracts and in most cases have already given years of loyal services to their clubs. Why should they not go and play in the USA or elsewhere and experience what different countries have to offer sports wise and workwise . Alot of them are students or unemployed so it could be chance of a new beginning for some. Surely you can't begrude anyone that. Yes their clubs suffer but sometimes you have to do what is right for yourself and if being good at any GAA sport gives you the vehicle to do so - GO FOR IT !

AZOffaly

Quote from: elk on August 20, 2013, 04:22:22 PM
At the end of the day none of these lads are on contracts and in most cases have already given years of loyal services to their clubs. Why should they not go and play in the USA or elsewhere and experience what different countries have to offer sports wise and workwise . Alot of them are students or unemployed so it could be chance of a new beginning for some. Surely you can't begrude anyone that. Yes their clubs suffer but sometimes you have to do what is right for yourself and if being good at any GAA sport gives you the vehicle to do so - GO FOR IT !

Read my first post. Absolutely nothing wrong with any of that. HOwever flying to New York for 3 weeks is not anything like what you have said above. The J1 visas? Absolutely. Unemployed, and taking up an offer in New York for the year, or for the summer? No problem. Heading off travelling for the year, and staying in Boston for the summer to play ball? No hassle.

Leaving Shannon for a 3 or 4 week stint with 8 or 10 other county players, doing the locals out of starting places, while at the same time hurting your club at home? Sorry, I have a problem with that.

elk

Quote from: AZOffaly on August 20, 2013, 04:30:36 PM

Read my first post. Absolutely nothing wrong with any of that. HOwever flying to New York for 3 weeks is not anything like what you have said above. The J1 visas? Absolutely. Unemployed, and taking up an offer in New York for the year, or for the summer? No problem. Heading off travelling for the year, and staying in Boston for the summer to play ball? No hassle.

Leaving Shannon for a 3 or 4 week stint with 8 or 10 other county players, doing the locals out of starting places, while at the same time hurting your club at home? Sorry, I have a problem with that.

Agreed, 3 - 4 weeks is taking the pi**.

Sleater

I remember back in the late 90's the GAA had a clamp down on county players flying out for long weekends just to play a game in New York. No proper transfers or anything. It made the national papers and all back then. It stuck with me as a lad in my class at college was one of those lads, but he was never higlighted as one of the illegal transfers - the club in New York flew him out and back 4 weekends in a row as they were a couple of replays included. And his girlfriend too as he said he couldn't travel without her, ha!.  He'd be back in class in college on a Tuesday as normal. At the time, his local club were not contenders for their local championship so it was a bit of craic for him and as for county football, he played for Waterford (later on played for Cork) so summer football was always short in Ireland. It does make a farce of the system. No harm with lads going over for the J1 but looks like some of the bullshit is back.

Rossfan

Quote from: AZOffaly on August 20, 2013, 04:30:36 PM

Ahh sure once they're not getting paid or endangering their amateur status  I'm sure it's all ok. ::) :-X
Davy's given us a dream to cling to
We're going to bring home the SAM