The Horse racing thread

Started by maddog, December 19, 2006, 03:02:32 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Lecale2

hitzelsperger

does anyone go on the site www.gg.com and use the tips on it... some eye for pickin out winners!

Blacksheep

Blacksheep - a reckless and unprincipled reprobate!

Sandy Hill

Duo share championship glory  from Racing Post

by Tom O'Ryan

IT was the battle neither Jamie Spencer nor Seb Sanders wanted to lose - and neither did.

Who'd have thought it? Who'd have guessed? After seven and a bit months, thrills, as well as a spills, twists and turns aplenty – not to mention afinal dramatic day of action – the dynamic duo finished bang level on 190 winners apiece after the title went down to the very last race.

In the most closely fought battle since Steve Cauthen had inched out Pat Eddery 20 years ago after another titanic duel, Sanders, who had gone into the final day with a one-win lead, doubled it in the most extraordinary of circumstances; aboard Incomparable, who was gifted the 6f juvenile maiden after the erratic newcomer Omnicat had swerved and unseated Eddie Ahern inside the final furlong.

Spencer, though, battled back and, with Sanders, failing by just a short head on Borderlescott, it was the 2005 jockeys' champion who ended the day in style, completing a double on Generous Thought and Inchnadamph, the latter lifting the concluding 2m 1/2f handicap to force a dead-heat to this most gripping of duels.

"It's a great result - an amazing fairy story, really, for both of us," said Spencer.

"There's been lots of ups and downs along the way and it's been tough for us both. I've had tremendous support throughout the season, owners, trainers, and family, and have so many people to thank for helping me."

Sanders was equally ecstatic about the outcome. "I would have been devastated to lose," he admitted.

"It was nerve-wracking to come here today, mainly because I didn't know how I'd react if I missed out. To share it is a great relief. Now I've got to work out how I'm going to celebrate!"

Sanders, who also paid glowing tribute to everyone who had helped him in his quest - "if I started naming them all, I'd be here till midnight!" - added: "Racing is a tough game, but even though I'm a notoriously slow starter, a lot of doors opened-up for me this year, and they got wider and wider as the season wenton."

Spencer and Sanders, who, after being presented with their trophies by outgoing champion Ryan Moore, playfully sprayed each other with champagne on the winners' rostrum, will each take time out now to recover from their exertions and reflect on their achievement.   
"I'm not going to be riding very much for a while," said Spencer, while Sanders, who, having remarkably finished off at Wolverhampton last night, said: "I've got a riding trip to Mauritius organised later this month, but other than that, I'll be putting my feet up until the new year."

Thanks to the Racing Post and Racing UK, two worthwhile causes benefited greatly from the championship battle. Direct Aid For Africa, Spencer's chosen charity, and When You Wish Upon A Star, the charity nominated by Sanders, both received £1,900.

Paddy Power announced that they would pay out winning bets on both riders, while Stan James paid out on Sanders, clarifying on Sunday that they had their 'win on countback' approach had beenadvertised on the internet, text services and in betting shops for the past two weeks.

Greg Fairley, who has been race-riding for only two and a half seasons, secured the apprentices' title – won 12 years ago by Seb Sanders – with a final score of 65winners.

Hawick-born Fairley, the first Middleham-based winner since Jimmy Bleasdale 30 years ago, is attached to Mark Johnston's Kingsley House stable, where his father, Andrew is a work-rider.

Wearing a tartan tie to leave nobody in any doubts of his roots, Fairley said: "I'm particularly pleased to be the first Scot to win the title since Lee Newman (2000). It's unbelievable, really, a great thrill and I'd like to thank Mark and Deidre Johnston in particular, my parents, and everybody who has supported me throughout the season."

Aidan O'Brien clinched the trainers' title, while Godolphin were champion owners.

Another presentation was made during the afternoon - to Kevin Darley, who, after a 30-year career, which embraced 2,500 winners, retired from the saddle on a course where he had won the St Leger, three Racing Post Trophies, and where, in 2000, he himself was crowned champion.

Ever the professional, Darley was near the front of the crowd around the winning stage, when Spencer and Sanders, were crowned joint champions. "It was a great result," he said.

By the sound of the applause, which reverberated around Town Moor, everybody agreed with him. 

"Stercus accidit"

Louth Exile

It was great to watch, IMO flat racing rarely serves up high drama but there was bucket loads of it today with photo finishes and flat falls. There are very few other sports where you would see such sportsman ship. The two lads involved seemed genuinely happier to have shared the title than to have won it outright
St. Josephs GFC - SFC Champions 1996 & 2006, IFC Champions 1983, 1990 & 2016 www.thejoesgfc.com

Treasurer

Iktitaf out for rest of the season  :(

Homer

14 years of age and still running on the bridle. What a legend of a horse!

maddog

Its Crozan for me in the Paddypower. So that should narrow the field for the rest of you.

Louth Exile

Ruby took a bad fall and out for the day,  Liam Heard replacing him on  the red hot fav, Grannit Jack

My own NAP of the day is Sonnyanjoe in the 3.10, Brennan who is riding for a stable on fire says its his best ride of the three days. The post have napped him, He is getting nearly 2 stone from blazing bailey, juveneir is chaser out for a run and I think all the rest of them are out of the handicap
St. Josephs GFC - SFC Champions 1996 & 2006, IFC Champions 1983, 1990 & 2016 www.thejoesgfc.com

Homer

Ruby dislocated his shoulder.

Think Granite Jack should still take it but gonna have an E/W on Ponmeoath at 33 on betfair.

the Deel Rover

Quote from: Homer on November 17, 2007, 02:28:43 PM
Ruby dislocated his shoulder.

Think Granite Jack should still take it but gonna have an E/W on Ponmeoath at 33 on betfair.

i think i'll give that one a miss if you don't mind homer   :)
Crossmolina Deel Rovers
All Ireland Club Champions 2001

Homer

Granite Jack falls and L'Antartique takes it nice ride by Lee.

Homer

Quote from: Louth Exile on November 17, 2007, 02:18:28 PM
My own NAP of the day is Sonnyanjoe in the 3.10, Brennan who is riding for a stable on fire says its his best ride of the three days. The post have napped him, He is getting nearly 2 stone from blazing bailey, juveneir is chaser out for a run and I think all the rest of them are out of the handicap

Good shout LE. Well done!

Louth Exile

Quote from: Homer on November 17, 2007, 03:26:56 PM
Quote from: Louth Exile on November 17, 2007, 02:18:28 PM

Good shout LE. Well done!

Cheers Homer, had a couple of nice punts on it at 10/3 & 5/2, also had palarshan e/w in the big one, only lose so far has been Mc Coy in the juvenile.

A very bad day for the Nicholls yard, two good horses dead, top jockey with a dislocated shoulder and Heard didn't look too nimble coming away from the fall on G Jack either

Candyman

got word there for chicken soup... 8.45 @ Dundalk!!
although knowing my luck it'll be as good as one of Homers "tips"... ;)