The Greatest Irish Sportsperson Ever!

Started by Tony Baloney, December 31, 2009, 11:20:18 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

haze

QuoteYou are having a laugh, put Walsh up on the donkeys McCoy drives out wins on and see how good he is, Walsh gets steering jobs from Nicholls and Mullins most of the time, McCoy is a different league, Walsh knows it, that's why he stays at home and won't try for the English title

Well maybe i should have said that i slight preference for ruby walsh as a jockey rather than he is better. I did say that McCoy would be more worthy of a place in the top 10.

But to say McCoy is in a different league is pushing it in my opinion. Ruby will re-write the record books for Cheltenham winners.

And for years McCoy as Pipe's stable jockey also benefited from steering jobs

muppet

Quote from: longrunsthefox on January 01, 2010, 10:58:18 AM
Quote from: muppet on January 01, 2010, 01:48:00 AM
Quote from: Shamrock Shore on January 01, 2010, 01:27:47 AM
Without Michelle Smith De Bruin it's a meaningless poll  ;)

At least she used her own supercharged limbs.

Joey Dunlop ffs? There are a whole 3 provinces who think he made tyres.

because they think Ireland ends at the border says more about them... Was Mary Peters in the top 100?... although she did compete as British...

No, because bike racing is more popular in that part of the country and not because of the 1st political insult you can think of.
MWWSI 2017

mouview

If Vincent O Brien is worthy of being in the top 10 then he really should be no. 1 - absolutely no questions. His feats over jumps and on the flat and the influence he has had subsequently on the racing world was unparalleled. His status among his peers was unrivalled and he was held in the highest esteem globally. If Best is to be included, then he must be second. One of the greatest exponents ever of probably the most popular sport in the world. Harrington definitely third, for sheer consistency. 3 majors in probably the toughest individual sport is a great return; many great golfers would love to be able to boast thus. For the rest, Sean Kelly's inclusion at the expense of Stephen Roche is surprising but probably correct. BOD as our greatest player should be there on balance, but not as high; of all the sports in the top 10, excepting GAA, rugby is the most niche and least widely played. Same reasons for the great Joey Dunlop. Paul McGrath and Roy Keane worthy of inclusion but what price Pat Jennings or Danny Blanchflower? Sonia was our greatest athlete but was scarcely outstanding on the world stage; why not one of Mick Kinane, Pat Eddery, Kieren Fallon, Aidan O Brien, Ruby Walsh, Tony McCoy instead? Wee Barry - same reasons as for Sonia. If the top 10 are to have an international profile then I wouldn't include GAA personages.

Hardy

Quote from: mouview on January 01, 2010, 06:15:18 PM
If Vincent O Brien is worthy of being in the top 10 then he really should be no. 1 - absolutely no questions. His feats over jumps and on the flat and the influence he has had subsequently on the racing world was unparalleled. His status among his peers was unrivalled and he was held in the highest esteem globally.

I couldn't agree more. He's practically in a category of his own as regards international sporting status and dominance of his sport as an Irishman.

If it wasn't restricted to humans I'd put O'Brien and Arkle 1 and 2 and have a second divison competition for the rest.

muppet

Quote from: Hardy on January 01, 2010, 06:25:05 PM
If Vincent O Brien is worthy of being in the top 10 then he really should be no. 1 - absolutely no questions. His feats over jumps and on the flat and the influence he has had subsequently on the racing world was unparalleled. His status among his peers was unrivalled and he was held in the highest esteem globally.

I couldn't agree more. He's practically in a category of his own as regards international sporting status and dominance of his sport as an Irishman.

If it wasn't restricted to humans I'd put O'Brien and Arkle 1 and 2 and have a second divison competition for the rest.

There is no question regarding O'Brien's excellence, or that of his namesake either, but can a horse trainer really be our greatest ever sportsman when he isn't even involved in the action?

How can performances such (for exmple) as Paul McGrath v Italy, Roy Keane v Juventus, Stephen Roche v Alpe Duez or Barry McGuigan v Pedroza be compared with training a horse, albeit to the best standards? 
MWWSI 2017

INDIANA

Quote from: muppet on January 01, 2010, 06:32:30 PM

There is no question regarding O'Brien's excellence, or that of his namesake either, but can a horse trainer really be our greatest ever sportsman when he isn't even involved in the action?

How can performances such (for exmple) as Paul McGrath v Italy, Roy Keane v Juventus, Stephen Roche v Alpe Duez or Barry McGuigan v Pedroza be compared with training a horse, albeit to the best standards?

100% agree. The idea that somebody with a pair of binoculars sitting in the stand when the action is taking place can be Irelands greatest sportsperson is lunacy. O Brien was a genius but a coaching genius not a playing genius.

longrunsthefox

Wat the fuc  :o The horse just ran as horses do after getting a dig in the side or slap in the arse. Arkle didn't even know he was in a big race... just galloped

magickingdom

gaelic games gets 1 of the top 10  ??? bolix to that

longrunsthefox

I was surprised too a Gaelic footballer didn't make top 10. Mick O'Connell would probably have got that. 

mouview

Quote from: longrunsthefox on January 01, 2010, 06:46:33 PM
I was surprised too a Gaelic footballer didn't make top 10. Mick O'Connell would probably have got that.

For shame! Sean Purcell or nobody!

Hardy

Quote from: muppet on January 01, 2010, 06:32:30 PM

It's a reasonable question and that's why I was agreeing with mouview's complete statement, including the conditional clause highlighted. The conditions of entry would need to be more tightly defined to allow any possibility of reaching agreement.

For one thing, it depends on the definition of a competitor. Certainly, a horse trainer is closer to being a competitor in the event than, say, a football manager and most people would agree that the trainer's preparation of a horse is probably the most significant factor in its performance. There are unofficial trainers' championships. A horse's "nationality" for competitive purposes (e.g. Ireland v. GB at Cheltenham) is defined by the location of his trainer.

So if we allow O'Brien to be considered a "sportsperson" , there's no doubt (to my mind) that his achievements in his sport eclipse those of all other Irish sports people and those of all other participants in his sport, of whatever nationality.

Likewise, long...fox, I was aware that Arkle didn't qualify as a sportsperson and that was a bit tongue in cheek, but as a performer he was second only to O'Brien in his achievements, in my opinion. And I didn't see anything in the rules about self awareness as a qualifying condition.

Likewise, how can Kevin Foley's goal v. Dublin be compared with riding a bike or Ali v. Frazier be compared with Harrington's British Open win or Higgins potting a snooker ball?

INDIANA

Because they performed it. Horse trainers don't run in races.

Celt_Man

Quote from: haze on January 01, 2010, 12:47:52 AM
cannot believe joey dunlop merits top 3. Tony McCoy or Mick Kinane easily warrant a place in top 10 ahead of him

Little surprised there was no Gaelic footballer in the top 10

How the blazes is Joey in the Top 3... wouldn't have thought he merit a top 10 to be honest
GAA Board Six Nations Fantasy Champion 2010

Hardy

I'll try this answer:

How many people know who Adrian Mitchell is/was?

Minder

Quote from: Hardy on January 01, 2010, 10:50:42 PM
I'll try this answer:

How many people know who Adrian Mitchell is/was?

Poet?
"When it's too tough for them, it's just right for us"