The Greatest Irish Sportsperson Ever!

Started by Tony Baloney, December 31, 2009, 11:20:18 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Hoof Hearted

easy. surprised he wasn't top 3 even. is it 14 years consecutively now he has been top jockey. thats phenomenal consistency. ( a couple of big words there to start the new year) !
Treble 6 Nations Fantasy Rugby champion 2008, 2011 & 2012

haze

cannot believe joey dunlop merits top 3. Tony McCoy or Mick Kinane easily warrant a place in top 10 ahead of him

Little surprised there was no Gaelic footballer in the top 10

Minder

Great jockey,Walsh is better in my opinion. Oh and the sport is fixed
"When it's too tough for them, it's just right for us"

Minder

Quote from: haze on January 01, 2010, 12:47:52 AM
cannot believe joey dunlop merits top 3. Tony McCoy or Mick Kinane easily warrant a place in top 10 ahead of him

Or hurler, the Brits are out to get us

Schkite

Quote from: Minder on January 01, 2010, 12:57:48 AM

Ring was in it was he not?

Wee Barry would merit a spot too.

barelegs

Pretty sure Paul McGrath was 10. He was in there somewhere anyway. I'd have thought that Barry McGuigan should have been in there with a shout.

Not a word of Michelle Smith either- how many other Irish sports people hold 4 olympic medals?  :P

Minder

Quote from: barelegs on January 01, 2010, 01:06:33 AM
Pretty sure Paul McGrath was 10. He was in there somewhere anyway. I'd have thought that Barry McGuigan should have been in there with a shout.

Not a word of Michelle Smith either- how many other Irish sports people hold 4 olympic medals?  :P

The funny thing is there are some boyos don't think she was doped up.

Niall Quinn

10. Paul McGrath
09. Vincent O'Brien
08. Christy Ring
07. Sonia O'Sullivan
06. Sean Kelly
05. Roy Keane
04. George Best
03. Joey Dunlop
02. Brian O'Driscoll
01. Padraig Harrington
Back to the howling old owl in the woods, hunting the horny back toad

haze

QuoteGreat jockey,Walsh is better in my opinion. Oh and the sport is fixed

I agree walsh is a better jockey but purely based on McCoy's unbelievable and potentially  insurmountable number of winners i think its more plausible that he could make the top 10

Anyone surprised with Kelly over Roche? I wonder has those doping allegations a number of years ago impacted on people's opinion of him or was Kelly always regarded as a superior rider

Shamrock Shore

Without Michelle Smith De Bruin it's a meaningless poll  ;)

muppet

Quote from: Shamrock Shore on January 01, 2010, 01:27:47 AM

At least she used her own supercharged limbs.

Joey Dunlop ffs? There are a whole 3 provinces who think he made tyres.
MWWSI 2017

longrunsthefox

Quote from: muppet on January 01, 2010, 01:48:00 AM
Quote from: Shamrock Shore on January 01, 2010, 01:27:47 AM

At least she used her own supercharged limbs.

Joey Dunlop ffs? There are a whole 3 provinces who think he made tyres.

because they think Ireland ends at the border says more about them... Was Mary Peters in the top 100?... although she did compete as British...

Onlooker

I live a long way from the border, but I have huge admiration for Joey Dunlop.  He was certainly one of the all times greats of Irish sportsmen.  BTW, I have never been on a motorbike.  I read an article lately criticising the omission from the list of Dr. Pat O'Callaghan, Olympic Gold Medalist in the Hammer in 1928 and 1932 and deprived of a huge chance of another gold in Berlin in 1936, by political interference by Britain to prevent Ireland's participation in those Olympic games.

Istabraq

Quote from: haze on January 01, 2010, 01:26:39 AM
QuoteGreat jockey,Walsh is better in my opinion. Oh and the sport is fixed

I agree walsh is a better jockey but purely based on McCoy's unbelievable and potentially  insurmountable number of winners i think its more plausible that he could make the top 10

Anyone surprised with Kelly over Roche? I wonder has those doping allegations a number of years ago impacted on people's opinion of him or was Kelly always regarded as a superior rider
You are having a laugh, put Walsh up on the donkeys McCoy drives out wins on and see how good he is, Walsh gets steering jobs from Nicholls and Mullins most of the time, McCoy is a different league, Walsh knows it, that's why he stays at home and won't try for the English title

Tony Baloney

Quote from: Minder on January 01, 2010, 12:57:48 AM

Christy Ring. Were you pissed when you posted this?