Dublin v Kerry All Ireland Final 2019

Started by Hereiam, August 12, 2019, 01:27:08 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Cunny Funt

Quote from: easytiger95 on August 27, 2019, 04:50:57 PM

In terms of the match, anyone who thinks Dublin are going to have it easy are discounting a few factors

1. Dublin always start slow in All Ireland finals this decade, even against Tyrone last year the first 20 minutes were a mare (and I think Tyrone didn't have the firepower that Kerry have this year)
2. Dublin's fullback gives up nearly as many chances as Kerry's - for the past five years it has been mentioned as a weakness but no one has been able to exploit it fully (not since Donegal 14 and Kerry 13). A forward unit containing Clifford, Shea, Geaney, O'Brien et al are as good as that line has faced in years - getting possession in to them will be vital.
3. Kerry's defeat of Mayo was as impressive, in its way, as ours. They put them to bed very early and were never out of control. Allowances can be made because it was not knock out, but the divergence in the formline is not as big as the bookies would suggest.
4. The return of Sean Walsh could be a real fly in the ointment for that Dublin full back line. Cooper, Mick Fitz and Davey Byrne would need to have two men on him to contest the ball and win the knockdown and none of them are as good aerially as prime time Rory O'Carroll (given his performance in Tyrone he is not going to be first sub in).

So, I think if there is any ritual handpassing to be done, it will only be in the dying seconds. This has the makings of a shootout and I'm drooling at the prospect.

1. The "slow starts" was in no small part to the way both Mayo and Tyrone set themselves up defensively. Tyrone going into last years AI final was scoring on average 22 points per game, Kerry going into Sunday's final are also scoring 22 points per game.

2. Might give up chances but you have to work a lot harder for your scores v Dublin and their record this summer of just 12 points per game conceded speaks for itself, which includes just one goal conceded from open play all summer. In 2014 McGuinness exploited the the gaps that Dublin use to leave in their defence especially when turned over and that's an issue that Jim Gavin has long since repaired.

3. While impressive in closing out that game early (earlier than Dublin v Mayo) it can't be ignored that Kerry were well rested,playing at home against a Mayo team that was on the road a number of weeks,who had injuries and knew it wasn't a do or die game.

4. Tommy i presume you meant? I'll be surprised if he gets more than a sub role and the game could be over by the time he comes on. His influence in the semi final v Tyrone has been overplayed by the media. It was the improvement 2nd half of Geaney,O'Brien,Clifford that more or less won game for Kerry.

Like every other neutral watching i will be hoping we get a good competitive contest but there is a strong argument to be made that Sunday's final will be over as a contest at half time than a shootout game decided in the final quarter, so for many this final match up is not a prospect to droll over.

dublin7

I would say Dublin fans are more nervous this year than last year. Tyrone don't offer any threat to Dublin and that game was over at half time. No one I know believed they had a chance

Kerry have a punchers chance with their forwards and their ability to get goal. That's what makes it nervous for me. Like I said earlier a good start for Kerry can really set up the game for them, especially if Dublin have to push on and chase the game at any stage.

imtommygunn

Quote from: dublin7 on August 27, 2019, 07:57:31 PM
I would say Dublin fans are more nervous this year than last year. Tyrone don't offer any threat to Dublin and that game was over at half time. No one I know believed they had a chance

Kerry have a punchers chance with their forwards and their ability to get goal. That's what makes it nervous for me. Like I said earlier a good start for Kerry can really set up the game for them, especially if Dublin have to push on and chase the game at any stage.

I do wonder do the Dublin posters really believe what they are saying. Dublin should be 5 to 10 points better here. I'd love to see a tight game so hope I am wrong but can't see it. Yes Dublin a bit weaker in fb line than they have been but the Kerry defense is very poor and possibly the weakest in quite a few years in a final.

highorlow

QuoteDublin forwards are set in stone:
Howard - Kilkenny - Scully
Rock - Con - Mannion

I wouldn't say that Jim Gavin is ruthless, wouldn't be surprised if Costello starts instead of Scully.
They get momentum, they go mad, here they go

Wildweasel74

Scully been poor this Yr, so Alot of unseen work but not much scoring threat

TheGreatest

Quote from: imtommygunn on August 27, 2019, 09:13:10 PM

I do wonder do the Dublin posters really believe what they are saying. Dublin should be 5 to 10 points better here. I'd love to see a tight game so hope I am wrong but can't see it. Yes Dublin a bit weaker in fb line than they have been but the Kerry defense is very poor and possibly the weakest in quite a few years in a final.

All you have to do is look at the finals the this decade, all very tight games. Something goes wrong early, early goals, red card, finals are always different.

easytiger95

Absolutely I mean what I say. For all our recent successes against them, the "rivalry" from the 70s was completely one-sided once the final whistle blew in 77, and had been before Heffo's arrival. Kerry do not fear Dublin, in fact, I think their attitude towards us now is one of bewilderment that we didn't crumble away rather than awe at our achievements.

This is going to mean something very big in the Kingdom - derail the machine and you will have immortality a la 1955, 75 and 78. Fail and you will have infamy, always to be remembered as bit players as the greatest prize is won.

Undoubtedly Dublin are favourites, but I really don't think we are going to do this at a canter. Even if Kerry can't match us, Dublin will have their own stresses as posterity looms. They wouldn't be human if that didn't effect them a bit.

easytiger95

Quote from: seafoid on August 27, 2019, 05:48:06 PM
Quote from: seafoid on August 27, 2019, 04:26:53 PM
Quote from: easytiger95 on August 27, 2019, 04:01:38 PM
Quote from: seafoid on August 27, 2019, 02:55:46 PM
Quote from: easytiger95 on August 27, 2019, 01:48:33 PM
The system is broken, EasyTiger. Marie Antoinette didn't understand that either.

That clearly does equate me to her.

If you want to make a point about the broken state of the football championship there are plenty of threads you can use or you can start one yourself.

There are plenty of people who don't agree with your analysis. It doesn't make them blind/fools/elitists.
I never said anyone was an elitist or a fool.
I do think a lot of things are going to change in the coming years.
The French Revolution was similar. 

There are enough fans who have given up going to matches to fit the thesis.
Let's see how the attendances look for this year

No, you just compared me to an elitist and a fool. As did FTB. For a man who lives and dies by links and written evidence on this board, you're great for avoiding the implications of your own words.

As for the rest, the point remains the same. There are numerous different threads to expound your views on these matters. Is it too much to ask you discuss it on those and let the match be discussed here?
Using a quote by someone or comparing a situation to now does not imply anything about you. Sorry
I don't know anything about you.

The match will be over when the Dubs start the ritual handpassing

No you don't know anything about me, otherwise you wouldn't have have compared my lack of knowledge of the broken state of football, to Marie Antoinette's wilful ignorance of the state of the French citizenry prior to the revolution. There is a fairly big implication there. Sorry.
There is a link between the state of play before the French Revolution and GF now. It has nothing to do with you .
Get a grip

Perhaps you should read back how you expressed your thoughts and realise how I would think that. It's all in black and white. I even highlighted it for you. Happy for you to apologise/amend at any stage.

By the way, the French revolution was a rebellion on behalf of millions of beaten down oppressed people, faced with a homicidal regime, appalling living standards, curtailed life spans and the brutalisation of the human spirit. So your point is it was almost as bad as the perceived lack of fairness in funding to Dublin GAA???

Get a grip, cop on etc etc

The Hill is Blue

Quote from: TheGreatest on August 28, 2019, 10:12:27 AM

All you have to do is look at the finals the this decade, all very tight games. Something goes wrong early, early goals, red card, finals are always different.

I said it at the outset of this debate, the bookie's odds are ridiculous. This is a 50/50 match.
I remember Dublin City in the Rare Old Times http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9T7OaDDR7i8

clarshack

Quote from: The Hill is Blue on August 28, 2019, 10:30:42 AM

I said it at the outset of this debate, the bookie's odds are ridiculous. This is a 50/50 match.

Nonsense. If Tyrone had have kept playing the way they were in the first half they would and should have been beating Kerry by 6pts+. and Dublin are 6pts a better team than Tyrone. Dublin won't make the same mistake as Tyrone and should be winning this game pulling up. Don't underestimate how poor the Kerry defence really is.

rosnarun

Quote from: easytiger95 on August 28, 2019, 10:25:41 AM
Quote from: seafoid on August 27, 2019, 05:48:06 PM
Quote from: seafoid on August 27, 2019, 04:26:53 PM
Quote from: easytiger95 on August 27, 2019, 04:01:38 PM
Quote from: seafoid on August 27, 2019, 02:55:46 PM
Quote from: easytiger95 on August 27, 2019, 01:48:33 PM
The system is broken, EasyTiger. Marie Antoinette didn't understand that either.

That clearly does equate me to her.

If you want to make a point about the broken state of the football championship there are plenty of threads you can use or you can start one yourself.

There are plenty of people who don't agree with your analysis. It doesn't make them blind/fools/elitists.
I never said anyone was an elitist or a fool.
I do think a lot of things are going to change in the coming years.
The French Revolution was similar. 

There are enough fans who have given up going to matches to fit the thesis.
Let's see how the attendances look for this year

No, you just compared me to an elitist and a fool. As did FTB. For a man who lives and dies by links and written evidence on this board, you're great for avoiding the implications of your own words.

As for the rest, the point remains the same. There are numerous different threads to expound your views on these matters. Is it too much to ask you discuss it on those and let the match be discussed here?
Using a quote by someone or comparing a situation to now does not imply anything about you. Sorry
I don't know anything about you.

The match will be over when the Dubs start the ritual handpassing

No you don't know anything about me, otherwise you wouldn't have have compared my lack of knowledge of the broken state of football, to Marie Antoinette's wilful ignorance of the state of the French citizenry prior to the revolution. There is a fairly big implication there. Sorry.
There is a link between the state of play before the French Revolution and GF now. It has nothing to do with you .
Get a grip

Perhaps you should read back how you expressed your thoughts and realise how I would think that. It's all in black and white. I even highlighted it for you. Happy for you to apologise/amend at any stage.

By the way, the French revolution was a rebellion on behalf of millions of beaten down oppressed people, faced with a homicidal regime, appalling living standards, curtailed life spans and the brutalisation of the human spirit. So your point is it was almost as bad as the perceived lack of fairness in funding to Dublin GAA???

Get a grip, cop on etc etc
can we all agree that Easy tiger is not Marie Antoinette  and move on
If you make yourself understood, you're always speaking well. Moliere

imtommygunn

the scoreline doesn't always reflect the game. You were very comfortable last year. Kerry now are different to Kerry the last time you played them You're far better and they're worse. Only Mayo really ran you close.

It really isn't a 50-50 game. I would be happy to be proved wrong on that mind but I really think it's 60-40 (and maybe more) game.

seafoid

Dara O Se

"Dublin's bench is so strong, Bernard Brogan and Eoghan O'Gara probably won't make the 26."

You can't talk about the match without talking about why those 2 probably won't make the 26

https://www.rte.ie/sport/gaa/2019/0622/1056894-gaa-see-dublin-as-blueprint-for-future-not-the-problem/
"Costello rejects the suggestion Dublin no longer need financial support from Croke Park.
"We have huge challenges in Dublin. We have developing areas that we have no presence in: there are areas like Cherrywood, Hollystown and Adamstown."
"Dublin's dominance within Leinster has seen winning margins skyrocket as final attendances have halved in a decade, but Leinster Council CEO Michael Reynolds does not entertain the idea that the provincial championships are a lost cause.
"The Leinster Championship is quite vibrant outside the Dublin scenario. During the summer, you have some very good matches - the same in the other provinces," said Reynolds."

If it is a hammering and they do the ritual humiliation handpass routine to Kerry in Croke Park maybe the debate will open up.

"f**k it, just score"- Donaghy   https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IbxG2WwVRjU

easytiger95

Quote from: seafoid on August 28, 2019, 11:42:41 AM
Dara O Se

"Dublin's bench is so strong, Bernard Brogan and Eoghan O'Gara probably won't make the 26."

You can't talk about the match without talking about why those 2 probably won't make the 26

https://www.rte.ie/sport/gaa/2019/0622/1056894-gaa-see-dublin-as-blueprint-for-future-not-the-problem/
"Costello rejects the suggestion Dublin no longer need financial support from Croke Park.
"We have huge challenges in Dublin. We have developing areas that we have no presence in: there are areas like Cherrywood, Hollystown and Adamstown."
"Dublin's dominance within Leinster has seen winning margins skyrocket as final attendances have halved in a decade, but Leinster Council CEO Michael Reynolds does not entertain the idea that the provincial championships are a lost cause.
"The Leinster Championship is quite vibrant outside the Dublin scenario. During the summer, you have some very good matches - the same in the other provinces," said Reynolds."

If it is a hammering and they do the ritual humiliation handpass routine to Kerry in Croke Park maybe the debate will open up.

Because Berno is 35 and because Eoghan is 33 and has never nailed down a starting place and is inconsistent at the best of times - a great servant but he can shoot the lights out one day and the next have a nightmare. Con O'Callaghan has developed this year as a really physical full forward option and he has a lot more football in him then Eoghan (all due respect to him and the vital contributions he made over the years).