Tyrone County Football and Hurling

Started by Fear ón Srath Bán, April 01, 2007, 05:58:31 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Angelo

Quote from: GlenMan on July 18, 2019, 04:18:57 PM
Quote from: omagh_gael on July 18, 2019, 04:03:51 PM
Is this Darragh Canavan's last year at u20?

He's still U20 next year along with Matthew Murnaghan.

Of the Starting team from the Ulster Final the following are still U20 next year - Lorcan Quinn, Conor Quinn, Antoin Fox, Joe Oguz, Darragh Canavan, Tiarnan Quinn.

What's the story with Murnaghan?

He hasn't take any part in the Ulster Championship so far.
GAA FUNDING CHEATS CHEAT US ALL

southtyronegael

Sorry to hear that Peter Donnelly is leaving. Great lad who brought tyrones fitness to a new level. Good luck to him in his new job, he will be hard to replace. Which of the hartes is taking over from him anyway?

Jayop

Quote from: BennyHarp on July 18, 2019, 09:47:49 PM
Quote from: Jayop on July 18, 2019, 09:36:11 PM
Quote from: omaghjoe on July 18, 2019, 09:35:34 PM
That is a loss....when did that happen??.... I hadn't seen him around or mentioned alot lately...?

I heard on Newstalks podcast this morning I think so must have been just announced.

When does he take up that post then?

They didn't mention it iirc. Sure what does it really matter when he goes now. All the hard work in that area is already done for this year. Everything from here to the end of the Sr season is just topping up the hard work he and the players have already done.

The big positive I guess is that we know now in good time to get someone new in place for next year and we really need to target the very best that's out there. It's almost cliche now but or S&C really does allow us to be flat track bullies over teams just a little level below us and hopefully by the end of this summer it'll be what allows us to compete at the very top level.

Angelo

Quote from: Jayop on July 18, 2019, 10:07:54 PM
Quote from: BennyHarp on July 18, 2019, 09:47:49 PM
Quote from: Jayop on July 18, 2019, 09:36:11 PM
Quote from: omaghjoe on July 18, 2019, 09:35:34 PM
That is a loss....when did that happen??.... I hadn't seen him around or mentioned alot lately...?

I heard on Newstalks podcast this morning I think so must have been just announced.

When does he take up that post then?

They didn't mention it iirc. Sure what does it really matter when he goes now. All the hard work in that area is already done for this year. Everything from here to the end of the Sr season is just topping up the hard work he and the players have already done.

The big positive I guess is that we know now in good time to get someone new in place for next year and we really need to target the very best that's out there. It's almost cliche now but or S&C really does allow us to be flat track bullies over teams just a little level below us and hopefully by the end of this summer it'll be what allows us to compete at the very top level.

I think people vastly underestimate the full extent of Donnelly's work, he is absolutely vital in the tactical aspect of our play and he is the main orchestrator on the sideline. He is constantly shouting out instructions from the sideline.

Jayop

Fair enough, I was thinking purely in terms of S&C not in match stuff.

Angelo

Quote from: Jayop on July 18, 2019, 10:35:37 PM
Fair enough, I was thinking purely in terms of S&C not in match stuff.

Absolutely but I think the S&C is one only one facet on his work.

It's a big blow for Tyrone football across all grades.

Jayop

Quote from: Angelo on July 18, 2019, 09:48:43 PM

Think McCrory and Cavanagh the only players in their 30s in the squad.

Harte, Coney, McNabb and Mattie were all in their final year of minor in 2008 so either are now 29 or will turn 29 at some point this year.

Morgan, McCann, McAliskey and McNamee were all a year after that so are 28 or will turn 28 at some point this year.

Sludden, Richie Donnelly, HP McGeary and Grugan were minor in 2010 so are 27 or will turn 27 at some point this year.

McCurry, McClure, C McCann, Loughran, Brendan Burns are the year after that so would be 26 or will be at some point this year.

K McGeary, McLaughlin, R Brennan, Meyler, Hampsey and Cassidy were all in their final year u21 in 2015 so are 25 or will be at some point this year. Mark Bradley is in this bracket too and I think Ronan McHugh also falls into that age bracket.

F Burns and McShane had another year u21 after that so would be 24 or will turn it at some point this year.

O'Donnell, Mulgrew, Rafferty and McKernan are all 22 or will be at some point this year.

Gallen and Kennedy were u20 last year so are 21 or will be at some point this year.

Not sure if I missed anybody?

I think the squad needs a fair bit of freshening up for next season - the likes of C McCann, McClure, Loughran, B Burns, R McHugh, McNabb, Coney, Grugan are some of the guys who have had a number of years on the panel at various stages over the years and never really looked like nailing a starting spot. Maybe some of them have something to offer but I think they might see the writing on the wall like Ronan O'Neill did earlier this year. They're all mid to late 20s so they should have established themselves by now.

I think we have a few good prospects around the midfield area. Gormley has been impressive for the u20s, I'd say Conn Kilpatrick would have got a call up only for a bad injury during the club championship last year. Mattie McGleenan's young lad looks like he will be a big prospect in a few years time. Paudie McNulty might come back in next year. So I'd say a few of C McCann, McClure and Grugan may opt out or be cut.

I think there are a lot of lads who probably deserve a chance in the county set up next winter - a few who have caught my eye apart from those listed above would be Michael O'Neill (Ardboe) Nathan Donnelly (Killyclogher) Paul Donaghy (Edendork) Ryan Coleman (Moy) Emmett McNabb (Dromore) and a few others.

Cheers for the full run down Angelo. Really useful info to have given to surprising difficulty there is to find a lot of players ages anywhere on line. I was going by minor and u21 teams years for a lot of them but it's still kinda guesswork to be exact.

Agree we need a few lads to come in. I meant I think it's going to be very hard for them to break onto the starting 15 at the moment as the lads on that Colm aside are all of a very good age profile but we need to keep on refreshing the panel. One good thing about the current squad is I don't think there's anyone there that Mickey will hold onto for too long past their use like perhaps he did with the 2008 AI winning team. If a young buck is good enough now he's getting his chance by and large.

superstar_

Quote from: Jayop on July 18, 2019, 11:42:35 PM

Harte, Coney, McNabb and Mattie were all in their final year of minor in 2008 so either are now 29 or will turn 29 at some point this year.

Morgan, McCann, McAliskey and McNamee were all a year after that so are 28 or will turn 28 at some point this year.

Sludden, Richie Donnelly, HP McGeary and Grugan were minor in 2010 so are 27 or will turn 27 at some point this year.

McCurry, McClure, C McCann, Loughran, Brendan Burns are the year after that so would be 26 or will be at some point this year.

K McGeary, McLaughlin, R Brennan, Meyler, Hampsey and Cassidy were all in their final year u21 in 2015 so are 25 or will be at some point this year. Mark Bradley is in this bracket too and I think Ronan McHugh also falls into that age bracket.

F Burns and McShane had another year u21 after that so would be 24 or will turn it at some point this year.

O'Donnell, Mulgrew, Rafferty and McKernan are all 22 or will be at some point this year.

Gallen and Kennedy were u20 last year so are 21 or will be at some point this year.

I think the squad needs a fair bit of freshening up for next season - the likes of C McCann, McClure, Loughran, B Burns, R McHugh, McNabb, Coney, Grugan are some of the guys who have had a number of years on the panel at various stages over the years and never really looked like nailing a starting spot. Maybe some of them have something to offer but I think they might see the writing on the wall like Ronan O'Neill did earlier this year. They're all mid to late 20s so they should have established themselves by now.

I think we have a few good prospects around the midfield area. Gormley has been impressive for the u20s, I'd say Conn Kilpatrick would have got a call up only for a bad injury during the club championship last year. Mattie McGleenan's young lad looks like he will be a big prospect in a few years time. Paudie McNulty might come back in next year. So I'd say a few of C McCann, McClure and Grugan may opt out or be cut.

I think there are a lot of lads who probably deserve a chance in the county set up next winter - a few who have caught my eye apart from those listed above would be Michael O'Neill (Ardboe) Nathan Donnelly (Killyclogher) Paul Donaghy (Edendork) Ryan Coleman (Moy) Emmett McNabb (Dromore) and a few others.

Cheers for the full run down Angelo. Really useful info to have given to surprising difficulty there is to find a lot of players ages anywhere on line. I was going by minor and u21 teams years for a lot of them but it's still kinda guesswork to be exact.

Agree we need a few lads to come in. I meant I think it's going to be very hard for them to break onto the starting 15 at the moment as the lads on that Colm aside are all of a very good age profile but we need to keep on refreshing the panel. One good thing about the current squad is I don't think there's anyone there that Mickey will hold onto for too long past their use like perhaps he did with the 2008 AI winning team. If a young buck is good enough now he's getting his chance by and large.
Aiden McCrory, Ben McDonnell, Tiernan McCann are just names off players who always get chances and opportunities even though they are not good enough.
How, even still, Rory Brennan never established himself as a starter shows it is not always the best who get the chance or opportunity.

Angelo

Quote from: superstar_ on July 19, 2019, 12:17:32 AM

Aiden McCrory, Ben McDonnell, Tiernan McCann are just names off players who always get chances and opportunities even though they are not good enough.
How, even still, Rory Brennan never established himself as a starter shows it is not always the best who get the chance or opportunity.

Up until this year, Tiernan McCann has thoroughly deserved his starting spot with Tyrone.

McDonnell has also had a good year this year and lost his place on the back of a poor display against Donegal but has done fairly well off the bench in the subsequent games.

McCrory is much maligned, he hasn't got many starts in the past couple of years in any case.

Rory Brennan can feel a little harshly done in the past that he has been in and out of the side but he's currently enjoying a good run of games and has started the last 3 and looks to have nailed down a spot at corner back.

Every manager is going to have their favourites and have players they trust that not every supporter rates or vice versa.

GlenMan

Tiernan McCann isn't good enough? Are you insane?

Redhand Santa

I'm not sure he'll ever make it as a starter but as usual people are very quick to write players off before they are given a chance if they aren't a favourite of theirs. For a player only around 21/22 and getting his first proper chance at county football Ben McDonnell (outside of the Donegal game) has done rightly this year. He played well at half back in league games and has come of the bench getting scores in the qualifiers. For me he has done enough to at least justify his place in the panel. There is players outside of Errigal on the panel who have did a lot less over a number of years on the panel and don't get mentioned.

McRory is another one who gets unfair stick. He over a number of years did a decent marking job on decent players including for example Mark Poland and Rory Grugan. He struggled when put up against very good players and was limited going forward but always covered a lot of ground and stuck to his task. He has kept his head down even though he lost his place and if everyone on the panel had the same attitude as him Tyrone would be in a great place.

Very easy to knock boys who give an awful lot to the county team.

redzone

Anyone else watching Joe Oguz for the u20s and thinking this guy could go onto to be Tyrone star in the making. He's raw but he has all the ingredients

The_Slug

Quote from: GlenMan on July 19, 2019, 08:17:11 AM

Tiernan McCann isn't good enough? Are you insane?

He must have something against him GlenMan, McCann has been nominated for an all star the last two years in a row, that speaks for itself

Jayop

McKenna sending the aussie down the shop for a few shrimps for the barbie

https://twitter.com/GAA__JOE/status/1152206355782086656?s=19

Fuzzman

Apparently he's playing really well and is one of their main players now.
Would be amazing if he's come back at some point