We Need To Talk About Dropping The Knees Into Players On The Ground

Started by Taylor, June 26, 2017, 09:38:55 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

lenny

Quote from: yellowcard on June 26, 2017, 11:27:59 AM
In Brollyland it's ok when Down do it, they are simply anarchist's and create chaos. If Tyrone had committed the same tackles and adopted the same defensive structure it would have been rotten, filthy negative tactic's that have no place in the modern game. I don't have any real issue with what Down done on Saturday evening, it's not that different to what most counties do in the modern game but it's the complete hypocrisy from Brolly.

Dropping the knees into someone on the ground is cowardly and dangerous. It should be a red card and it's scandalous for brolly to praise it.

Fuzzman

I've not seen this incident in the Down game. Is it on Youtube or anywhere?
Can anyone describe what happened?

I think most people know that Brolly (and others) see what they want to see at times and Tyrone people are used to it now.
It will be funny if Jim Gavin & Dublin don't do any more RTE interviews as well as Tyrone. It could be an awkward summer for RTE.

square_ball

Quote from: Fuzzman on June 26, 2017, 11:36:51 AM
I've not seen this incident in the Down game. Is it on Youtube or anywhere?
Can anyone describe what happened?

I think most people know that Brolly (and others) see what they want to see at times and Tyrone people are used to it now.
It will be funny if Jim Gavin & Dublin don't do any more RTE interviews as well as Tyrone. It could be an awkward summer for RTE.

I'd say that's why Spillane was thrown under the bus last night. RTE will want to get the Dubs back on side ASAP.

blewuporstuffed

Quote from: AZOffaly on June 26, 2017, 11:27:40 AM
Quote from: stephenite on June 26, 2017, 11:26:25 AM
The referee can't be expected to see everything, however why couldn't there be an independent review conducted back at HQ and any issues can be handled retrospectively?

Would take a lot of pressure off match day officials to get everything right on the day. Any incidents can be corrected after the fact (e.g.) turn a yellow to a red

I'd agree with this.

We need some sort of 'citing' panel similar to they use in rugby and AFL.

From memory, for the Ricey one, he received a ban (which they appealed) even though the referee gave him a yellow at the time.
Seems to be far to many loop hole and inconsistencies in our disciplinary system.
I can only please one person per day. Today is not your day. Tomorrow doesn't look good either

yellowcard

Quote from: lenny on June 26, 2017, 11:33:25 AM
In Brollyland it's ok when Down do it, they are simply anarchist's and create chaos. If Tyrone had committed the same tackles and adopted the same defensive structure it would have been rotten, filthy negative tactic's that have no place in the modern game. I don't have any real issue with what Down done on Saturday evening, it's not that different to what most counties do in the modern game but it's the complete hypocrisy from Brolly.

Dropping the knees into someone on the ground is cowardly and dangerous. It should be a red card and it's scandalous for brolly to praise it.

I'm simply saying that there is no consistency in the analysis. If indeed there was a knee drop by a Down player, it was skirted over and eulogised as 'anarchy' in an affectionate manner by Brolly. Instead he comes out with happy clappy rubbish about chaos and stating that it doesn't matter if it's illegal. If they had been playing with a different set of jerseys the analysis would have been completeley different. 

blewuporstuffed

exactly.

Like any incident it can be missed by a referee in real time, but the fact that neither of those incidents shown in the clips resulted in a  ban that actually stuck shows the issues we have withe disciplinary laws.
I can only please one person per day. Today is not your day. Tomorrow doesn't look good either

J70

Quote from: Taylor on June 26, 2017, 10:52:14 AM
No issue with TSG mentioning these incidents at all......the issue is the CCCCCCCC seem to go after players in many of the instances only after TSG have brought it up.

TSG didnt highlight this incident or call for retrospective bans - this is the chance for the CCCCC to show TSG have no influence

Given that TSG airs live and then has highlights the same evening as most of the games, what opportunity is there for the CCC to do anything BEFORE Spillane and co. have their say?

And if they don't, in the case of the Down-Monaghan game (I haven't seen the incident), do anything, will that be because the ref didn't put it in his report or because RTE didn't make a stink?

And if its the latter, then are we saying that they SHOULD leave these things alone if the ref hasn't raised it?

Or do we expect the CCC to go through EVERY match to see if there was anything missed by the ref?

Taylor

Quote from: J70 on June 26, 2017, 11:53:46 AM
Quote from: Taylor on June 26, 2017, 10:52:14 AM
No issue with TSG mentioning these incidents at all......the issue is the CCCCCCCC seem to go after players in many of the instances only after TSG have brought it up.

TSG didnt highlight this incident or call for retrospective bans - this is the chance for the CCCCC to show TSG have no influence

Given that TSG airs live and then has highlights the same evening as most of the games, what opportunity is there for the CCC to do anything BEFORE Spillane and co. have their say?

And if they don't, in the case of the Down-Monaghan game (I haven't seen the incident), do anything, will that be because the ref didn't put it in his report or because RTE didn't make a stink?

And if its the latter, then are we saying that they SHOULD leave these things alone if the ref hasn't raised it?

Or do we expect the CCC to go through EVERY match to see if there was anything missed by the ref?

I have no idea as to the answer of this but how many incidents where RTE have kicked up a stick have been ignored? Not many. It seems if TSG deem it serious enough the CCCCCCC will visit/revisit the incident

johnneycool

Watched the game on TV and that was the only incident where I thought that a Down defender had over stepped the mark in a nasty way and was totally uncalled for. Not sure if Brolly meant to use this clip to display the fact that Down were up for it but it can't be condoned by anyone.
The ref issued O'Hagan a yellow for it, not sure what the rule book says about kneeing someone although I'd have thought a red is more merited for it as its certainly a premeditated thing. Granted it wasn't in and around the head and neck like the two clips shown in this thread. That's a red straight away and a box in the mouth from the next teammate on the scene.
There was another incident where McKernan I think with a chest high tackle with his arms, yellow yes, but Farney lad made a bit of a meal of it unless McKernan is a beast of a man in the gym.
Other than that I thought the Down defence's tackling was pretty good over the game and turned over plenty of ball due to it.

Avondhu star

Down not going to be a soft touch anymore. The slow learners are catching up
Lee Harvey Oswald , your country needs you

straightred

Quote from: johnneycool on June 26, 2017, 12:21:29 PM

Watched the game on TV and that was the only incident where I thought that a Down defender had over stepped the mark in a nasty way and was totally uncalled for. Not sure if Brolly meant to use this clip to display the fact that Down were up for it but it can't be condoned by anyone.
The ref issued O'Hagan a yellow for it, not sure what the rule book says about kneeing someone although I'd have thought a red is more merited for it as its certainly a premeditated thing. Granted it wasn't in and around the head and neck like the two clips shown in this thread. That's a red straight away and a box in the mouth from the next teammate on the scene.
There was another incident where McKernan I think with a chest high tackle with his arms, yellow yes, but Farney lad made a bit of a meal of it unless McKernan is a beast of a man in the gym.
Other than that I thought the Down defence's tackling was pretty good over the game and turned over plenty of ball due to it.

Go back and watch the double assault on McManus and corey in the first few minutes. The ref booked the lad for the tackle on McManus but the full back got off with his lunge at Corey. I thought at the time it was a black for blocking him off but looking at it again it could have been red. As the saying goes he was laying down a marker but sometimes you can go too far and thats were you need the ref and linesman to be alert. They weren't.

omagh_gael

How the Down man didn't receive a black card for the 3rd man tackle on Corey is mind blowing.

Like J70 said above, some of the criticism of the CCCC is a bit unfair considering there would be a strong possibility that they would have reviewed it anyway. By virtue of being on immediately, or shortly, after the game then it makes the Sunday Game look like the tail wagging the dog.

In amongst the hyperbole in the week after the Connolly incident someone in the podcast media (may have been OTB) quoted a journalist who scrutinised the CCCC. The vast, vast majority of their work was done away from the public spotlight and the vast, vast majority of their decisions were accepted and not challenged. Listening to some commentators you'd swear there was a turnover rate approaching 100% when it came to the CCCC.

This is not me saying they're perfect or near it but there is a strong case for a review of both the rulebook and the disciplinary course after controversial incidents.

Surely someone could be employed to review video footage of all the games over the weekend and with technology put together a short series of clips for the referee to review during the week that may have been missed or misinterpreted by the officials during the game.

Aristo 60

The money knee was only resting in that bank account player's back.

Owen Brannigan

As bad as some the actions in the Down game, none were nearly as bad as the assault on John Mac. 

Quote from: brokencrossbar1 on June 26, 2017, 10:41:27 AM
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=FQFCW1QeUcY

Worse one of these that I can remember. It's a dangerous and cowardly act.

The other coward in this incident was the referee who issued a yellow card.  Topped only by the moral bankruptcy of those who appealed the eventual red card under the guise of complaining the disciplinary committee had over stepped the mark in extending the yellow to a red.  At least Connolly was willing to take his punishment.

The extract below refers to the video action above and is taken from Harte by Mickey Harte.

So, this deliberate action that could have broken John Mac's neck 'wasn't pretty' according to Mr Harte who also thought that 'Ryan had landed with his knees on McEntee's chest'?

Taylor

Quote from: Owen Brannigan on June 26, 2017, 01:50:52 PM
As bad as some the actions in the Down game, none were nearly as bad as the assault on John Mac. 

Quote from: brokencrossbar1 on June 26, 2017, 10:41:27 AM
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=FQFCW1QeUcY

Worse one of these that I can remember. It's a dangerous and cowardly act.

The other coward in this incident was the referee who issued a yellow card.  Topped only by the moral bankruptcy of those who appealed the eventual red card under the guise of complaining the disciplinary committee had over stepped the mark in extending the yellow to a red.  At least Connolly was willing to take his punishment.

The extract below refers to the video action above and is taken from Harte by Mickey Harte.

So, the assault that could have broken John Mac's neck 'wasn't pretty'?

Nothing like raising the dead bringing this up.

Has there been any word on revisiting the incident from Saturday night yet?