Maigh Eo v Doire

Started by Tubberman, June 19, 2017, 08:56:48 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

From the Bunker

Thinking this is going to be a short Championship season this year for Mayo. Even though we were in the same boat this time last year there was still and air of being caught on the hop by Galway! This year is different. We were fore-warned with Galway this year. Our Injury list is mounting and it looks like father time is catching up with a few former dependables. The mood in the county is different. Last year there was more defiance going into the back door, this year most don't have the stomach for the longer journey. The feeling is our chance is gone and who could disagree with them? Friends, work Colleagues, Neighbours would be just as happy if Mayo lost on Saturday and gave us a year off from our now annual September misery and let us spend all that Money on a good holiday.

joemamas

Quote from: From the Bunker on June 29, 2017, 01:07:51 PM
Thinking this is going to be a short Championship season this year for Mayo. Even though we were in the same boat this time last year there was still and air of being caught on the hop by Galway! This year is different. We were fore-warned with Galway this year. Our Injury list is mounting and it looks like father time is catching up with a few former dependables. The mood in the county is different. Last year there was more defiance going into the back door, this year most don't have the stomach for the longer journey. The feeling is our chance is gone and who could disagree with them? Friends, work Colleagues, Neighbours would be just as happy if Mayo lost on Saturday and gave us a year off from our now annual September misery and let us spend all that Money on a good holiday.

You should tell all of them to be careful what they wish for.
Six years ago we got beaten by Longford.
I would also remind all of them how this bunch of players have worn the Mayo jersey with great pride for that entire period and that they should be supported and respected accordingly.

macdanger2

Just as happy my hole, on Saturday we'll bate Derry in revenge for 07 and inflicting Joe brolly on the world.

3rd round, we'll bate Meath for 96, the ref who shall not be named and that bollix o'rourke.

4th round we'll bate cork for 89 & 93.

QF we'll bate Galway for redeveloping salthill amongst other things.

SF we'll bate Kerry for well, loads of years and that bollix Spillane.

In the final, we'll bate Dublin, again for multiple years, all their unfair advantages and that smug bollix Gavin.

Maigh Eo abú

PW Nally

Quote from: macdanger2 on June 29, 2017, 02:21:41 PM

Just as happy my hole, on Saturday we'll bate Derry in revenge for 07 and inflicting Joe brolly on the world.

3rd round, we'll bate Meath for 96, the ref who shall not be named and that bollix o'rourke.

In the final, we'll bate Dublin, again for multiple years, all their unfair advantages and that smug bollix Gavin.

Maigh Eo abú
My thoughts exactly. Them Parke bucks fierce dour old hoors.

twohands!!!

The thing is if Mayo are to get beaten in the qualifiers there's an argument to be made that the sooner the better in terms of giving lads a break/rest/fitness/a summer where the whole focus wasn't on football.

From the Bunker

Quote from: macdanger2 on June 29, 2017, 02:21:41 PM

Maigh Eo abú

That bit there reminds me of the McAteer Carlsberg ad from 2002 World Cup! :)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=auoToogktZQ

macdanger2

Any word on teams? We've announced Thursday afternoon for the past two matches I think

Lar Naparka

Maybe I'm a bit slow and missing something but, for the life of me, I don't know what the fuss over Clarkie's kickouts is all about.
Divil a bit of a word about the hoors outfield who are supposed to gain possession when he does hoof it out.
I mean we can all marvel at the quality and accuracy of Cluxton's delivery- almost inch perfect to someone who is waiting for it. But he didn't lick it off the bushes. He reputed to arrive at training sessions at least an hour early to work on his free taking and kickouts.
Furthermore, it's obvious that the Dublin outfield players waiting for the ball know where it's going to go. There has to be some form of code between them to explain the accuracy of his kicks and the distance they will travel.
I've seen plenty of Mayo outfielders caught on the hop and react too slowly when the ball is sent in their direction. To cap it all, Mayo have a goalkeeper coach, (Peter Burke, isn't it?)
WTF is he supposed to be doing?
Bottom line for me is that we do have a problem with Clarke's delivery but he alone can't be blamed.
It shouldn't take rocket science to come up with a solution.
Nil Carborundum Illegitemi

DennistheMenace

Fancy Derry for this but I'm biased.

Fuzzman

I see Brolly is back on the wind-up and he's back on Mayo's case again.

http://www.independent.ie/sport/gaelic-games/gaelic-football/keith-higgins-is-out-which-in-a-way-is-a-blessing-joe-brolly-thinks-mayo-are-vulnerable-in-the-qualifiers-35881553.html

He knows how bad Derry are and how they are far more interested in club football than the county scene yet he's stirring it up again knowing this is a team who should have beaten Dublin last year at the first chance despite scoring two ogs.
Even if it was in Derry, Mayo would still win easy. It's a team that got relegated to Div 3 against a team who are consistently in the AI semifinals at least.

Mayo at a canter lads 

Hound

The first qualifier game in particular seems to be dangerous for teams coming off unexpected defeats.

Nothing against either team and may the best team win, but I'd love to see Kerry v Mayo in the quarter-finals. A real pity they haven't faced each other in the last 2 years after the super games between them in 2014. 

moysider

Quote from: Fuzzman on June 30, 2017, 02:24:12 PM

http://www.independent.ie/sport/gaelic-games/gaelic-football/keith-higgins-is-out-which-in-a-way-is-a-blessing-joe-brolly-thinks-mayo-are-vulnerable-in-the-qualifiers-35881553.html

He knows how bad Derry are and how they are far more interested in club football than the county scene yet he's stirring it up again knowing this is a team who should have beaten Dublin last year at the first chance despite scoring two ogs.
Even if it was in Derry, Mayo would still win easy. It's a team that got relegated to Div 3 against a team who are consistently in the AI semifinals at least.

Mayo at a canter lads

I reckon a lot of people would agree with those points Joe makes there.

rosnarun

Mayo at a canter lads 
more fool any one who reads it.

there no excuse for mayo not to win this game and I don't believe they will lose it
derry seem to be a poor team going back ward where as I think mayo were beaten by a very good galway team who would put it up to any one in the country bar maybe Dublin at their best  who I don't think any one would live with . where as derry are probably the 8th or 9th best team in ulster at the moment
even by the  headline besmirching the good name of Keith Higgins reassures me the man knows nothing and not worth reading
If you make yourself understood, you're always speaking well. Moliere

From the Bunker

Quote from: moysider on June 30, 2017, 03:02:47 PM

Mayo at a canter lads

I reckon a lot of people would agree with those points Joe makes there.

+1

Walter Cronc

Mayo at a canter lads 

Thanks for the valued input there. We can sleep soundly.