Leinster SFC

Started by Catch and Kick, May 18, 2017, 11:30:16 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

stevecw

Quote from: Shamrock Shore on May 22, 2017, 12:16:56 AM

Great stuff by Carlow. Is Steve CW still here? Always flew the flag and had some well written insights.

Game v Dubs should be in Carlow. This nonsense of having it in Portlaoise, that couldn't host the Dubs last year. I hope they don't get hockeyed.

You have a great memory to remember me, fair play! Think I posted once after we drew away to Westmeath in the 1st league game to tell people we were up to something this year! Then we went out a week later and lost at home to London, so I crawled back into my shell.

To be honest for once we had a bit of confidence going into a championship game. It's by far the strongest panel we've had in my lifetime...got about 90% of the best players involved compared to the usual 50/60% at best.
After the London disaster we won 4 of the next 5 games, including wins away to Wicklow & at home to Limerick & Wexford.

A few of the lads here might know of Steven Poacher from Down, he has been a vital part of the team this year. Every player i have spoken to raves about him & the difference he has made to training. His gameplan along with Turlough O'Brien and the other selectors has really worked. It's a defensive set up, based on breaking fast and hitting a big target man Foley, and off him plays Broderick who kicks points from anywhere.

Once Carlow got Broderick back fit & switched to that gameplan, we have beaten Waterford, Limerick, Wexford twice. Broderick ended up 2nd overall highest scorer in the league after missing almost 2 games.
Sunday was amazing, still hard to believe we actually went out and won a Leinster championship game against a good Wexford side. Last win for us in Leinster was v Louth in 2011, and before that was v Wicklow in 2006 I think!

It was so well deserved, missed 4 other easy goal chances and should have won by a lot more really. Murphy owned midfield, and was unplayable.
Midfield with Brendan & the lightning fast Sean beside him, will be 1 area of the pitch where Carlow might have an advantage over Dublin. Apart from that well hopefully we can compete as best we can. I'm sure Poacher will have some plan set up to limit the damage.

It's a showcase live on Sky too for the likes of Brendan Murphy who is among the top 5 midfielders in the country to be finally seen on a big stage. Same for Paul Broderick, and incredible corner forward with the most amazing left foot. 2nd top scorer on this years league despite missing 2 games, scored 10 points v Wexford. Hopefully they play at their best and make it competitive for as long as possible.

I can't wait anyway....just hope after this we can regroup and have a go at the qualifiers no matter what.

PW Nally

Fair play Steve, your posts have always been honest and reliable over the years. Hope you get another win or 2 before the year is out.

Dinny Breen

Neil Flynn (Hammer) and Ben McCormack (surgery on his foot) both probably gone for the summer. Two of the best corner forwards in Division 2.  Add in the Division 2 teams form lines in the Championship (Derry, Fernanagh, Cork and Clare) and the wise bet this weekend will be Laois to turnover Kildare. Flynn and McCormack worth on average 10-15 pts between them.
#newbridgeornowhere

Jinxy

Sickening reverse-arrogance from Kildare as usual.
If you were any use you'd be playing.

seafoid

Quote from: Jinxy on May 29, 2017, 12:51:02 PM
Sickening reverse-arrogance from Kildare as usual.
No natural plamas
"f**k it, just score"- Donaghy   https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IbxG2WwVRjU

Kuwabatake Sanjuro

To be fair there isn't a great deal of confidence in the county, our league form dipped a fair bit when the 2 lads were missing and Laois have their tails up after hammering Longford. If Dan Flynn gets his usual pre championship injury then there definitely will be no hope.

seafoid

Quote from: Kuwabatake Sanjuro on May 29, 2017, 07:26:06 PM
To be fair there isn't a great deal of confidence in the county, our league form dipped a fair bit when the 2 lads were missing and Laois have their tails up after hammering Longford. If Dan Flynn gets his usual pre championship injury then there definitely will be no hope.
Galway only beat the flourbags by a point as far as I remember
And they have a good defence
Plus Laois are D4 next year

I was watching the D2 final. Only 2 points in it. Kelly and Slattery aren't bad
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6LJLqUW8KFM
"f**k it, just score"- Donaghy   https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IbxG2WwVRjU

Cunny Funt

The Dubs taking no chances against Carlow.

Kuwabatake Sanjuro

Put John Small or Philly McMahon back in instead of Scully and that could be their September team.

Zulu

That's two frees in front of the posts for good physical defending.

Gold

Carlow no 9 is a baller
"Cheeky Charlie McKenna..."

Zulu

Ah here ref! The guy slipped and wasn't touched and gets a free? Carlow seem to be happy to hold the ball in their own half whereas going at the Dubs could see greater reward.

Gold

Sean Murphy is my new favourite player

Gold

Carlow are damned if they go all out attack. It's hard but fascinating to watch

bennydorano

Is the fix in? Only game this weekend with no betting available on Skybet