Mayo v Sligo CSFC 21st May 2017

Started by Farrandeelin, May 08, 2017, 08:28:56 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Farrandeelin

Inaugural Football Championship Prediction Winner.

moysider

Things might change later but wouldn't be surprised if they go with Boland and Kirby for this.
Harrison will probably not make it and hearing Higgins is a doubt as well. That leaves our preferred 2 corner backs out. It will be interesting to see who the markers will be. Keegan and Durkan dropping back to last line like they did during league games? Cafferkey may well have to be started if Higgins and Harrison are out. Marren and Hughes are a handful for anybody.

macdanger2

Quote from: moysider on May 17, 2017, 12:13:32 AM

Things might change later but wouldn't be surprised if they go with Boland and Kirby for this.
Harrison will probably not make it and hearing Higgins is a doubt as well. That leaves our preferred 2 corner backs out. It will be interesting to see who the markers will be. Keegan and Durkan dropping back to last line like they did during league games? Cafferkey may well have to be started if Higgins and Harrison are out. Marren and Hughes are a handful for anybody.

Would prefer to see at least one of Newcombe & O'Donoghue start in the corners rather than playing half backs there.

Crete Boom

Quote from: macdanger2 on May 17, 2017, 09:25:05 AM

Would prefer to see at least one of Newcombe & O'Donoghue start in the corners rather than playing half backs there.

Chris Barrett will be in the mix to start at one corner spot.

galwayman

Quote from: Crete Boom on May 17, 2017, 03:40:10 PM

Barrett will hardly weaken the team. A very tight, tough & tigerish corner back.

Farrandeelin

When is Sligo's team due to be named. On Mayo G.A.A Facebook page it's due tomorrow night.
Inaugural Football Championship Prediction Winner.

MayoBuck

He'd be next in line after Harrison and Higgins you would assume. I've a feeling Rochford will move Durcan to corner back if Higgins is out too since we've several options for half back.

macdanger2

Yeah, I'd start Barrett even with everyone fit

moysider

Quote from: macdanger2 on May 17, 2017, 10:29:37 PM

Yeah, I'd start Barrett even with everyone fit

So would I. Problem is though that Barrett is so often injured as well down the years.

Dubhaltach

Quote from: macdanger2 on May 16, 2017, 09:43:11 PM
Any thoughts on teams??

I'd go with something like:

Clarke
Harrison Barrett Newcombe
Keegan Boyle Durcan
Parsons Kirby
Boland AOS Mcloughlin
Moran COC Higgins

Higgins playing sweeper

Can't see Boland starting ahead of Diarmuid.

Owenmoresider

Both teams named for Sunday, or at least for the programme anyway  ;)

Sligo:

Devaney
Donavan Harrison McHugh
Keelan Cawley B Egan J Kelly
O'Connor McIntyre
Ewing M Breheny Kyle Cawley
Coen Hughes Marren

Mayo:

Clarke;
Barrett Cafferkey Higgins;
Boyle Keegan Durcan;
S O'Shea Parsons;
Boland D O'Connor C O'Shea;
McLoughlin C O'Connor Moran

sligoman2

Anyone have an injury update on Sligo?

Hughes would be a huge loss if he is unable to play, McIntyre picked up an injury too apparently.

Missing your top midfielder and full forward would make this a very tough day for us (as if it's not tough enough already).

I expect us to put up a decent showing, we need to erase the scar of the 2015 Connacht final.  The reality is it's a mid-table division 3 team away against the All Ireland Finalists, but we somehow seem to put up a decent showing when nobody gives us a chance.
I used to be indecisive but now I'm not too sure.

sligoman2

Quote from: Owenmoresider on May 18, 2017, 01:39:54 PM

Sligo:

Devaney
Donavan Harrison McHugh
O'Connor McIntyre
Coen Hughes Marren

Mayo:

Clarke;
Boyle Keegan Durcan;
S O'Shea Parsons;

I can't see that being the starting team, Kevin McDonnell is too good to be warming the bench especially against a team of this calibre. 

Owenmore, you posted the team at the same time I had my questions above
I used to be indecisive but now I'm not too sure.

sligoman

Quote from: sligoman2 on May 18, 2017, 01:44:49 PM
Quote from: Owenmoresider on May 18, 2017, 01:39:54 PM

Sligo:

Devaney
Donavan Harrison McHugh
O'Connor McIntyre
Coen Hughes Marren

Mayo:

Clarke;
Boyle Keegan Durcan;
S O'Shea Parsons;

I can't see that being the starting team, Kevin McDonnell is too good to be warming the bench especially against a team of this calibre. 

Owenmore, you posted the team at the same time I had my questions above

They've just named the same team that started against New York. No chance that team will start. A lot will depend on who is available but if we had everyone fit I'd go with the following.

1. Devaney
2. Donovan 3. McDonnell 4. Harrison
5. Cawley 6. Egan 7. O'Kelly Lynch
8. McIntyre 9. O'Connor
10. Ewing 11. Murphy 12. C Breheny
13. Marren 14. Hughes 15. Kelly

Physicality is our weakness. I'd be worried if we start the likes of Johnny Kelly, Kyle Cawley and a few others right now, I've great faith in their ability but I don't think they'd be physically up to it just now. I'd also have worries about young O'Connor being thrown into midfield against a seasoned and proven pairing like Parsons and O'Shea but we're devoid of options here, Hughes is at his best in full forward but I think we may need him out around the middle to win some ball, not sure if he'll have the engine there but we'll need to alternate him in there with Murphy and O'Connor.

Hopefully Carew has been working on something to shore us up defensively and we can give a good showing on Sunday. What's the weather promised like?

Crete Boom

Interesting article here form Colm Keys which kinda captures what I am feeling heading into this championship, http://www.independent.ie/sport/gaelic-games/gaelic-football/colm-keys-can-mayos-longserving-core-of-heavy-lifters-put-the-shoulder-to-the-wheel-again-35732033.html.

I just don't know what to expect on Sunday i.e. will we play like the team in the first half of the league game v Donegal or the team in the second half of the league game v Donegal?