Connacht minor championship

Started by sligoman2, June 22, 2016, 07:00:11 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

galwayman

Is Daniel Kenny injured? I would assume so given he featured heavily in the league and scored 2 goals last time out against Mayo.
It's hard to know what the Galway side are like tandard wise in terms of the rest of the country.
Possibly we don't have the same level of individual talent as the last few minor teams we've had.

Buckass

The Sligo Leitrim came was full of excitement, naivete and passion last night. Leitrim enjoyed the lions share of possession but, full-forward, Caleb Duffy aside were very wasteful. They had at least a dozen wides and hit four on the trot when on the ascendancy with the game all square with ten+ to go.
Sligo's forwards looked more purposeful on less possession but over-elaboration saw some good goal chances slip away. Sligo showed great resolve to get on top of a game that looked to be going away from them especially when Red Og Murphy, who took his goal well, was black-carded.Conall Ryan got MOTM and he was very good, especially toward the end, but for me cb Evan Lavin from Harps was the stand-out performer. His powerful runs and 1-1 from play were huge factors. His goal came right after a Leitrim goal in the second half that looked like it could bring the visitors through.
Two of the Leitrim goals were of the U-12 variety..a harmless point effort caught behind the line in the first half and a wing back stripped of the ball when trying to play out too close to goal. Cummins' defensive switching worked out better for Sligo who looked more compact in the second half- the leitrim ff line had acres in front of them in 1st half.
Midfield and the half-lines will need to improve on possession from kick-outs however. The hard work & better bench saw Sligo home to an extent.
All-in-all it's a good way to be entering a Connacht Final. There'll be no expectation. All the players from goalkeeper Davey (who made one fantastic point-blank save) on will have something to work on and good points to take confidence from. As Sligoman said it's healthy to see the spread of less-fashionable clubs represented and it augurs well going forward.

sligoman2

Is Conan Marren from Tourlestrane still minor age?

Is he one of the 2 lads you refer to Mano? 
I used to be indecisive but now I'm not too sure.

Mano

Quote from: sligoman2 on June 29, 2017, 12:45:45 PM
Is Conan Marren from Tourlestrane still minor age?

Is he one of the 2 lads you refer to Mano? 

Yea he is still minor. Big loss to this years group of minors.

magpie seanie

Good luck to our lads on Sunday. Tough ask but if they play up to their potential that's all that we can expect. Is there still All Ireland quarter finals at minor?

An Fhairche Abu

Quote from: magpie seanie on July 07, 2017, 09:30:57 AM
Good luck to our lads on Sunday. Tough ask but if they play up to their potential that's all that we can expect. Is there still All Ireland quarter finals at minor?

Yes the losing team will play the Ulster provincial winners in a Q-Final, gaa.ie gives it as:
Connacht Winners versus Ulster Runners Up
Ulster Winners versus Connacht Runners Up
Leinster Winners versus Munster Runners Up
Munster Winners versus Leinster Runners Up

cornetto

Galway 1-9
Sligo      0-7
20 mins left

Syferus

3-10 to 0-08 in Galway's favour, and Galway are down to 14.

Anyone want to apologise for jumping on me for saying Galway would slaughter Sligo with goals now? I can hear crickets..

Mano

Wow you are a genius to have predicted that. What does Nostradamus predict for Roscommon Galway later?

Syferus

Quote from: Mano on July 09, 2017, 01:22:32 PM
Wow you are a genius to have predicted that. What does Nostradamus predict for Roscommon Galway later?

U mad?

Mano

I think everyone on here know who is the mad one. Hardly a surprise given their hammering of Mayo. So what is your prediction their for the Rossies

Syferus

Quote from: Mano on July 09, 2017, 01:29:59 PM
I think everyone on here know who is the mad one. Hardly a surprise given their hammering of Mayo. So what is your prediction their for the Rossies

Don't have one lad. Does that upset you?

Mano

Not too confident then about your own county you clown. Hope Roscommon do well myself as I supported them in the 80's (Roscommon mother).

magpie seanie

Was looking at the club minor league tables last night and bar St Molaise Gaels, there's no north division club in Division 1 of the minor competition and I know the best team by far in Division 2 is also not from the north. There's a tremendous problem in and around Sligo town that there seems to be an omerta about. I was chatting to a guy involved in a club in that area and he reckons he will lose 7 players next year off his excellent U-14 squad.....they may never play gaelic football again. It's brilliant to see lads from smaller clubs doing well on county teams but our major population area has to provide players or we're goosed. Gaelic games might always be second fiddle around Sligo town but at the moment it's getting a serious trouncing and that should worry everyone.