What's the Difference Between Black, Yellow and Red Cards?

Started by IolarCoisCuain, March 02, 2014, 07:38:23 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

IolarCoisCuain

Is anyone else struggling with this? From the games I've seen so far it's better for a player to get a yellow than a black card, which was surely never the purpose of the thing in the first place. I thought the black card was for persistent fouling, but this is clearly not the case. The pulled to the ground condition of the black card rule is, frankly, bizarre.

So, what do I have to do to get a black, a yellow or a red card? Put him crying, put him bleeding, put him in hospital? Is that how it goes? I'm totally confused.

Zulu

There are 5 distinct black card offences which can be seen on www.gaa.ie. Red and yellows are as normal.

J OGorman

Quote from: IolarCoisCuain on March 02, 2014, 07:38:23 PM
Is anyone else struggling with this? From the games I've seen so far it's better for a player to get a yellow than a black card, which was surely never the purpose of the thing in the first place. I thought the black card was for persistent fouling, but this is clearly not the case. The pulled to the ground condition of the black card rule is, frankly, bizarre.

So, what do I have to do to get a black, a yellow or a red card? Put him crying, put him bleeding, put him in hospital? Is that how it goes? I'm totally confused.

Read up on the black card on the gaa.ie website and the reasons a player will be shown it.
you do realise a player getting a black card has to leave the pitch?

BennyHarp

I was thinking the same today, watching the coverage of the Mayo v Kerry game, Kerry had just got their corner back black carded and the replacement (Pa Kilkenny I think) committed what I would consider to be the text book black card trip for which he was yellow carded. I think the refs are deciding to give yellow when they feel they they have given too many blacks already. It's all a bit confusing - but to be fair, the games have been superb and I think players are definitely thinking twice before they commit cynical tackles.
That was never a square ball!!

IolarCoisCuain

Quote from: J OGorman on March 02, 2014, 07:44:53 PM
Quote from: IolarCoisCuain on March 02, 2014, 07:38:23 PM

Read up on the black card on the gaa.ie website and the reasons a player will be shown it.
you do realise a player getting a black card has to leave the pitch?

That penny has dropped alright, slow though I am. That's why I started this thread. Getting a black card seems worse than getting a yellow, and something seems mixed up in that.

Benny here is closer to what I'm coming to. Here's the link to the rules: http://www.gaa.ie/about-the-gaa/rules-and-regulations/

Black Card Rule 2: You get a black card if you "deliberately trip an opponent with the hand(s), arm, leg or foot." Ok.

Yellow Card Rule 2: You get a yellow card if you "prevent or attempt to prevent an opponent from lifting or kicking the ball off the ground by striking an opponent's hand, arm, foot or leg with the boot." So I get a yellow and stay on if I kick someone in the shins, but I get my marching orders if I trip him with my hand. Is that a kicker's charter, or am I missing something?

Yellow Card Rule 3 is for "any other form of rough play" - that's a board church. There are also "noting" infractions that don't seem that distinct from the black cards, and what I'm saying is that the balance is wrong. A black card has a much bigger impact on a game than a noting or a yellow, and that seems wrong. If you get a yellow, your exuberance might be reduced, you're still there. If you're a team's top player and get black-carded, that's it, adios, gone. Wouldn't he be as well to mill someone entirely and make it worth his while?

The best new idea I've seen was the sin-bin but it was never given a proper chance. They might have to try it again before too long.

moysider

Quote from: BennyHarp on March 02, 2014, 07:46:12 PM
I was thinking the same today, watching the coverage of the Mayo v Kerry game, Kerry had just got their corner back black carded and the replacement (Pa Kilkenny I think) committed what I would consider to be the text book black card trip for which he was yellow carded. I think the refs are deciding to give yellow when they feel they they have given too many blacks already. It's all a bit confusing - but to be fair, the games have been superb and I think players are definitely thinking twice before they commit cynical tackles.

I thought the Pa Kilkenny challenge was mix of a leg across and shoulder thing. Yellow.

I think there is a misconception out there. That yellow is better than black. A black is better than yellow. A black has to be replaced. But a yellow is only another iffy foul or your down to 14 ( I m assuming a player on yellow who commits a black gets a red - or do they they Zulu?).

In Castlebar today I think the late black cards reduced Kerry to 14 because they had exhausted their bench. The p.a. and TG4 did not address it but I saw no sub for second black. These things will be a bigger issue in 5/6 months time of course.

Throw ball

The theory behind the black card is laudable but in many cases I think it is overly harsh. A sin bin would be better. In the Meath Armagh game the young Armagh midfielder making his debut was given a black card for a body check around the middle of the field. The Meath black card was for a rugby tackle as an Armagh player prepared to shoot for goal. Both decisions were correct in my opinion. However, I would have preferred if both players had been sin binned. For the situation were the foul is a direct goal scoring opportunity I feel a penalty should automatically be awarded too.

Jell 0 Biafra

If the idea is to stamp out tactical fouls, how about a 20 meter free in front of the sticks and possession returned to the team suffering the foul?

Whether or not this idea is passable, all you need to stamp out a pattern of behavior is to make the punishment for the foul more costly than the benefit.

tc_manchester

Hugh McGrillen commited a foul with about 10 minutes to go at Newbridge yesterday and you would have had no idea what the ref should give - black or yellow - if the fouled player stays on his feet is it a yellow but if he goes down is it a black? I was glad he got a yellow because I'd rather have had a tired man on the pitch as opposed to a fresh man at that stage of the game

BennyHarp

Quote from: moysider on March 02, 2014, 11:54:34 PM
Quote from: BennyHarp on March 02, 2014, 07:46:12 PM

I thought the Pa Kilkenny challenge was mix of a leg across and shoulder thing. Yellow.

I think there is a misconception out there. That yellow is better than black. A black is better than yellow. A black has to be replaced. But a yellow is only another iffy foul or your down to 14 ( I m assuming a player on yellow who commits a black gets a red - or do they they Zulu?).

In Castlebar today I think the late black cards reduced Kerry to 14 because they had exhausted their bench. The p.a. and TG4 did not address it but I saw no sub for second black. These things will be a bigger issue in 5/6 months time of course.

He clearly tripped him - obvious black card! The player himself put his hands on his head expecting to be put off and was relieved to get yellow. Had his team mate not being black carded a few minutes earlier then he would have been off.

oganly

Quote from: Jell 0 Biafra on March 03, 2014, 04:01:36 AM
If the idea is to stamp out tactical fouls, how about a 20 meter free in front of the sticks and possession returned to the team suffering the foul?

Whether or not this idea is passable, all you need to stamp out a pattern of behavior is to make the punishment for the foul more costly than the benefit.

Lads, I've recently completed the Gaa Referee Course for my sins.

The purpose of the rule is twofold -

1. The deal with cynical fouling. You can get a Black Card for three different cynical fouls: (a) Deliberate Trip of an opponent, (b) Deliberate Pull down of an opponent, ie Sean Cavanagh in Croke Park last year and (c) Deliberate Body Collide to take a player out of the movement of the play, ie if a player hand passes to a teammate and a defender steps into his running path to prevent him receiving the ball back.

2. To deal with Non Cynical Fouls - (a) threatening or verbal abuse or threatening gestures towards a player or opponent and (b) to remonstrate with a referee or match official.

It should be also borne in mind that the Black Card is more punitive than a Yellow. Yellow plus Black = Red. A player given a Black Card must be substituted (only if it's his first card in the game and only if he's one of the first three black cards to be received by the team during the game including extra time). If he's the fourth player he can't be replaced during ordinary time. He can be replaced at the start of extra time but if another player receives a black card he can't be replaced....

My only problem with the Black Card is the differential it creates between Football and Hurling. If you commit one if the Non Cynical Fouls above in Hurling its a Yellow Card but in Football you're off the pitch. 

Never beat the deeler

Quote from: oganly on March 03, 2014, 01:07:54 PM

1. The deal with cynical fouling. You can get a Black Card for three different cynical fouls: (a) Deliberate Trip of an opponent, (b) Deliberate Pull down of an opponent, ie Sean Cavanagh in Croke Park last year and (c) Deliberate Body Collide to take a player out of the movement of the play, ie if a player hand passes to a teammate and a defender steps into his running path to prevent him receiving the ball back.

2. To deal with Non Cynical Fouls - (a) threatening or verbal abuse or threatening gestures towards a player or opponent and (b) to remonstrate with a referee or match official.

It should be also borne in mind that the Black Card is more punitive than a Yellow. Yellow plus Black = Red. A player given a Black Card must be substituted (only if it's his first card in the game and only if he's one of the first three black cards to be received by the team during the game including extra time). If he's the fourth player he can't be replaced during ordinary time. He can be replaced at the start of extra time but if another player receives a black card he can't be replaced....

My only problem with the Black Card is the differential it creates between Football and Hurling. If you commit one if the Non Cynical Fouls above in Hurling its a Yellow Card but in Football you're off the pitch.

Thanks for that. Never realised the bit in bold
Hasta la victoria siempre

IolarCoisCuain

Quote from: oganly on March 03, 2014, 01:07:54 PM

Fair play to you horse. If you're out with the whistle, best of luck with it. A more thankless job than managing the County Mayo, and that's a hard station.

rosnarun

I think the best way to look at a black card it that its a yellow PLUS
yellow and black = red = yellow and yellow = black and black
If you make yourself understood, you're always speaking well. Moliere

BennyHarp

Quote from: rosnarun on March 05, 2014, 10:59:03 AM
I think the best way to look at a black card it that its a yellow PLUS
yellow and black = red = yellow and yellow = black and black

Thanks for clarifying this!  :o