The home of hurling

Started by Asal Mor, July 17, 2012, 01:43:12 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Cyril Farrell fan

Lots of passion from the home of hurling today. Not much hurling when it mattered though!  :o

seafoid

4 all Irelands in 30 years. The cats have won over 3 times that.
"f**k it, just score"- Donaghy   https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IbxG2WwVRjU

johnnycool

Liam Cahill mustn't be trusted by the head honchos when they seem to have went after Sheehy.

Has Cahill blotted the copybook somewhere?

Antrim Coaster

Liam Sheedy was calling the shots on the line for Antrim this year.

Perhaps he got his mojo back after he had left the Tipp hotseat previously

AZOffaly

Quote from: johnnycool on September 21, 2018, 10:30:53 AM
Liam Cahill mustn't be trusted by the head honchos when they seem to have went after Sheehy.

He may be on the back room team. I think he may want it when paudie Brendan and seamie retire....

clonadmad

Quote from: AZOffaly on September 23, 2018, 12:40:25 PM
Quote from: johnnycool on September 21, 2018, 10:30:53 AM

He may be on the back room team. I think he may want it when paudie Brendan and seamie retire....

He wanted it this time round too

seafoid

https://www.irishtimes.com/sport/gaelic-games/hurling/liam-sheedy-excited-by-the-challenge-of-guiding-tipp-back-to-the-top-1.3730667

Liam Sheedy excited by the challenge of guiding Tipp back to the top

Former manager back at the Premier helm and looking forward to the task ahead

Liam Sheedy's second term in charge of Tipperary gets under way against the All-Ireland champions on Friday evening at the Gaelic Grounds (7.30pm) and the Portroe man can't wait to get started.

He said the GAA landscape had changed enormously since he stepped down in 2010 shortly after guiding the Premier County to All-Ireland success.

But now he's back in the hot seat and, while he is mixing the post with his job as provincial director of Bank of Ireland in Munster, Sheedy said he's up to the task.

"It's really enjoyable. I love being in around the dressing room. I love being in around good players. I love being in a set-up that is starting to come together as we go on a journey. Who knows where it will take us? Wherever it takes us, it won't be for want of trying.

"In the last two years I have been back working in Munster versus working in Dublin. You just can't manage the Tipperary team if you're operating around the M50 or up in the inner sanctum. The journey time up and down is really tough.

"It is going to require me very disciplined in terms of managing my time. Obviously being provincial director with Bank of Ireland, trying to manage an inter-county team is not easy. It might feel professional but there is a day job to be done as well. There are 168 hours in the week – I've got to be very selfish with my time and manage it well.

"I would see it as being an exciting project. Obviously the competitive terrain that you find yourself in is as strong as it has ever been and as competitive as it has ever been. You see the way the three teams from Munster represented themselves in the All-Ireland semi-final stages.

Limerick got their hands on it but the other two were probably saying we were so close. That is the arena you find yourself in.
"The bottom line is Tipperary right now are outside the top six. If I look at my short-term goal it is how can we catapult ourselves into the top six and look to get into the quarter-final stage."

The change to the Munster championship is one of the major differences from his previous stint as manager but off the field things have altered dramatically as well.

New level

"I even see from my time versus now, the game has moved on, the whole size of your backroom team. It's going to a new level all the time. I don't know where it will stop but we'll try and catch up with it over the next few months.

"It's very, very full-on. these players are willing to do whatever it takes to be successful. You see the hurling championship now, it's probably at its most competitive as it's ever been at. Which is great for the game.

"I think the game of hurling has moved to a whole new platform and level versus other sports. Not just in Ireland. I really do feel it has taken off. I know it's challenging asking players to play four games in 21 days but I think some of the tweaks they've made for 2019 will make that better.

"You've got to manage energy, you gotta manage time and you really gotta manage quality. With all the boxes you're trying to tick in terms of the physical side, skill side, and the whole belief systems, there is a lot to get through. Managing that is a big deal."

Delivering another All-Ireland for Tipperary is the primary task, of course, but doesn't feel he's under any extra pressure having come back into the job after securing a previous title.

"Anyone that is involved in a team is anxious to get to the summit – that's just a given. I don't feel any pressure. Not an ounce of it. I'm free as a bird. I'm going in, working with a new team. It's 10 years on, a new group of players. I'm going go give it 100 per cent to get the team to play to its potential. Wherever that takes us, it takes us. But I'm excited about it. It's an absolute honour and a privilege to manage your own county."

He gets his first taste of it again on Friday evening in the Gaelic Grounds in what he hopes will be the first step towards relieving Limerick of the All-Ireland crown.

AZOffaly

seafoid

https://www.irishtimes.com/sport/gaelic-games/hurling/liam-sheedy-tipperary-are-little-bit-behind-physically-1.3742325

Returning Tipperary hurling manager Liam Sheedy believes his squad have fallen behind in the physical stakes, but he thinks they need an all-round improvement in their standards to be competitive in 2019.

Back at the helm for the first time since 2010, Sheedy will hope to bring Tipp back into the All-Ireland final for the first time since they defeated Kilkenny in the 2016 decider, but after watching on as a supporter in 2018 he thinks there is definite room for improvement.

"We feel physically we are little bit behind some of the other teams in terms of our conditioning so we've a few tough weeks and months ahead of us," said Sheedy.

"One thing I would say, and I know it's early days, but these boys certainly seem up for work and they can look forward to the new year and the National League. Before you know it you'll be in the beginning of May and it'll be charged championship time, so we have plenty of work to do in the mean time.

"It's about building in every position. I'd be happy that in Tipperary we are a proud hurling county and we are looking to really prepare to the best of our ability. Whatever that takes us it will take us but I do think I am happy with the panel that has been assembled.

seafoid

Tipp and KK are both hungry this year so it should be a cracking championship

johnnycool

Quote from: seafoid on January 29, 2019, 10:27:51 AM

Early days for both, but Kilkenny have injected some serious pace in their forwards, Cork backs were awful though.

A dryer sod may still cause Tipp problems and Clare messed up by allowing Paudie Maher to be the free man and really needed to go toe to toe with Tipp. Giving Tipp that sort of platform to rain ball down in on Seamus Callanan and Jake Morris was never going to end well and when Kelly saw red Tipp were always going to drive on.

By the looks of the Limerick lads they've beefed up a bit and not in a good way, buy maybe someone ordered too small a set of jerseys for them on Sunday.

Tony Baloney

Quote from: johnnycool on January 30, 2019, 12:27:26 PM
Quote from: seafoid on January 29, 2019, 10:27:51 AM

Early days for both, but Kilkenny have injected some serious pace in their forwards, Cork backs were awful though.

A dryer sod may still cause Tipp problems and Clare messed up by allowing Paudie Maher to be the free man and really needed to go toe to toe with Tipp. Giving Tipp that sort of platform to rain ball down in on Seamus Callanan and Jake Morris was never going to end well and when Kelly saw red Tipp were always going to drive on.

By the looks of the Limerick lads they've beefed up a bit and not in a good way, buy maybe someone ordered too small a set of jerseys for them on Sunday.
The AIF session must have gone on til Xmas.