Darren Fay

Started by Jinxy, June 25, 2007, 12:07:32 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jinxy

I have stated on another thread that i think he has been the best full-back in the championship based on his 3 performances this season. Bcarrier disagrees. Neutral opinions required! If you don't think he has been the best, by all means tell me who has been better.
If you were any use you'd be playing.

Armagh Exile

Surely there is no call for this item.

Jinxy

???What's up with you?

Davitt Man

Fay was a great full back in his day and he seems to live off this now for example against dublin in the drawn game his man Keaney got man of match and everyone was raving about how good Fay was, now if a normal joe soap was marking keaney and he got man of the match everyone would be giving out about him. He did play well against dublin by making a few great blocks and that but is this enough to label him as full back of they year, i doubt it. Graham Canty could be the man but they havent been tested yet, next sunday we will see how he does against "Star"

magpie seanie

Best full back I've seen so far is Fay. Next would be John McKeon yesterday.

Jinxy

Yeah McKeon played Joyce fierce well yesterday. He has more of a corner back build though so I think he struggles a bit when he comes up against the big men.

Kerry Mike

There has been very few outstanding full back displays so far this year, McConnell has struggled for Dublin. Tyrone had to replace their full back after a few minutes and Joe McMahon will have it all to do to prove himself. Armagh and Mayo have shouwn gaping holes in ther full back line recently

Fay has done little worng to date but the summer hasn't really kicked off yet, Canty will hopefully be stretched to the limit next Sunday, he has done well traditionally on the likes of Gooch but if Donaghy can get into the game early it will be a bit test of both players character. Tom O'Sullivan struggled for a time against Waterford and will have his hands full in Mike Cussen's 6'7" frame next Sunday, as he sets out to make a name for himself in a long line of great Kerry full backs.

At this stage on what has been seen I would give the vote to Fay.,
2011: McGrath Cup
AI Junior Club
Hurling Christy Ring Cup
Munster Senior Football

Declan

QuoteMcConnell has struggled for Dublin

Have you been watching the Dubs matches Mike? Can't see how he has struggled myself in fact I think he's done OK for his first year. Caveat being he hasn't been fully tested yet.

Kerry Mike

Declan to be honest I have been glued to the Munster hurling the last few Sundays and have not seen the full Dubs games, so I might be wrong about McConnell, just what I saw of him I thought Sheridan and/or Geraghty won a good bit of ball off him. Lets just see how he gets on against a Kieran Donaghy or the like later in the the year though before building him up too soon.
2011: McGrath Cup
AI Junior Club
Hurling Christy Ring Cup
Munster Senior Football

SuperHans

Kevin McCloy showed yesterday how good he was. Held Smith scoreless and dont think McElroy scored either, got out in front to win some good ball. And this was in a derry team which was awful

BallyhaiseMan

Fay was good against Dublin in both games,
Very impressed with Ross McConnell to be honest,for a newcomer i think hes done very well.
McCloy is the most underrated Full back in the country,Great player but never gets the credit he deserves.
Looking forward to see Graham Canty,imo the best full back in the country get to grips with Donaghy at the weekend.

thebandit

Vinnie Corey. Muldoon got one meaningful touch of the ball yesterday. Packie Downey lasted until half time in Newry.

Full Back isn't even his best position, CHB would be, and he kicked 1-6 from full forward in the club championship against Blayney F****s last month. A beast of a man.

cavanmaniac

Anthony Forde.

End of thread.

ExiledGael

Barry Owens deserves a strong mention, but I was very impressed with Kevin McCloy in Casement yesterday.
Despite a woeful performance from all around him he still stood out.

Enjoyed when Tommy Freeman thought he was hard knocking O'Kane out over the line when he was already tumbling only for McCloy to run 20 yards to completely flatten Freeman with a shoulder. Good old fashioned full-back

Tyrone Dreamer

Conor Gormley played full back against Donegal and was brilliant throughout keeping Brendy Devenney very quiet. Probably the best full back display of the season so far. If Fay was fully fit which he's no were near, him Gormley and Canty would be some full back line.