Huge explosion at Texas fertilizer plant.

Started by Carmen Stateside, April 18, 2013, 05:24:27 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Carmen Stateside

Been an eventful few days in the States here.  Hundreds injured in a massive explosion and many feared dead.  Explosion has destroyed many homes around the plant. They are fearing a second pit exploding in plant.
http://www.kwkt.com/news/caught-camera-fertilizer-plant-explosion-near-waco

Gabriel_Hurl

That's unbelievable - there's no way 80 homes can be flattened without serious loss of life

Carmen Stateside

They are expecting a lot of deaths now. Prayers to all involved.

Carmen Stateside

Things are only to get worse, scores of first responders to the initial fire are unaccounted for.  Can't imagine anyone who was anywhere close to that explosion surviving.

seafoid

I guess Fox are saying it was Muslim fertiliser

muppet

Quote from: Gabriel_Hurl on April 18, 2013, 05:26:40 AM
That's unbelievable - there's no way 80 homes can be flattened without serious loss of life

Some explosion that in a residential area.
MWWSI 2017

give her dixie

Horrific explosion all right, and sadly there will be a high loss of life.

I have heard an audio clip on BBC radio during the night of a father and daughter who stopped to video the fire, and they filmed the actual explosion from a distance. The following link is for the video, and it is very scary indeed.

https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?v=243210262488908

I only hope it was a fire that started accidently, and not something more sinister.
next stop, September 10, for number 4......

Bingo

Seen that clip on the news, the fear in the girls voice is very vivid.

I'd be surprised if the death toll for this isn't very high, seems that the damage isn't confined to the plant itself but to the wider area in addition to the first responders.

God help them all.

give her dixie

I just read this article about another massive explosion in Texas involving fertilizer. Tuesday past was the 66th anniversary of the deaths of 581 people.

http://www.history.com/this-day-in-history/fertilizer-explosion-kills-581-in-texas
next stop, September 10, for number 4......

EC Unique

Measured same as a 2.5 magnitude earthquake! Mental!

Harold Disgracey

I believe the explosion registered on the Richter scale. We all know the damage a 500lb fertiliser bomb can do, I dread to think of the devastation caused by 54,000lbs of the stuff. What kind of an idiot would allow a fertiliser plant to be built so close to a residential area?

seafoid

Quote from: Harold Disgracey on April 18, 2013, 10:36:23 AM
I believe the explosion registered on the Richter scale. We all know the damage a 500lb fertiliser bomb can do, I dread to think of the devastation caused by 54,000lbs of the stuff. What kind of an idiot would allow a fertiliser plant to be built so close to a residential area?

Probably some kind of Texas Republican one percenter who believes that Government is a sin, the environmental laws are the spawn of Satan and that all regulation is just red tape that gets in the way of making money. 

Carmen Stateside

Keep the politics out of this lads and lassies.  As a old guy said earlier on the news, this was just an old plant that needed refurbished.  Awful awful tragedy.