Man Utd Thread:

Started by full back, November 10, 2006, 08:13:49 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Cunny Funt

Was more that just the PSG result for getting the job full time. From 11 points off 4th to going 4th briefly played its part. The decision to appoint him full manager was made during an international break and off the back of two defeats (Wolves in the cup and Arsenal in the league) and perhaps the signs for a dip in form was there.

Last Sunday was United's worst league defeat in the terms of margin and performance since he arrived but it was still only a 3rd defeat in 17 EPL games and the other two defeats enough chances was created to earn at least a draw out of them, currently only Liverpool and Man City have gained more league points since mid Decemeber. 29 of the 48 goals conceded was under Jose and in comparison just 28 goals was conceded all of last season. The main difference between strolling into a Champion league spot and now struggling to gain one and United could miss out on 4th due to a bad GD.

seafoid

Quote from: mouview on April 23, 2019, 11:36:52 AM
Quote from: mouview on March 07, 2019, 11:28:13 AM

Still, considering the scratch team MU had out, it was some result. It could also be a bad one though, as it may actually make top-4 qualification a bit harder, if they now divide their concentration between the league, cup and CL. A result that surely guarantees the OGS will be in charge next season, which means that inside 24 months, MU fans will be wondering who the next manager is going to be.

As I pointed out after the PSG result.

Who knows, OGS may actually yet turn out to be the right man for the job. However, giving it to him on the (emotional) basis of a wretched VAR peno decision in Paris was never going to turn out good. He has shown no form for managing at the top level.
Tactics wise he reminds me of Anthony Cunningham
"f**k it, just score"- Donaghy   https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IbxG2WwVRjU

J70

Quote from: Tony Baloney on April 23, 2019, 01:08:40 PM
Quote from: mouview on April 23, 2019, 11:36:52 AM
Quote from: mouview on March 07, 2019, 11:28:13 AM

Still, considering the scratch team MU had out, it was some result. It could also be a bad one though, as it may actually make top-4 qualification a bit harder, if they now divide their concentration between the league, cup and CL. A result that surely guarantees the OGS will be in charge next season, which means that inside 24 months, MU fans will be wondering who the next manager is going to be.

As I pointed out after the PSG result.

Who knows, OGS may actually yet turn out to be the right man for the job. However, giving it to him on the (emotional) basis of a wretched VAR peno decision in Paris was never going to turn out good. He has shown no form for managing at the top level.
I'm clearly not a Man United fan, but I think every manager needs to be judged on their *own* decisions and let's face it OGS is dealing with a lot of dung left over from Mourinho. I would doubt the board, who will want results, will have selected him on popularity or emotion so the only way he can be truly judged is if he is given cash to make his own purchases and clear out a lot of the dead wood.

I've no idea whether his permanent appointment was the correct move, but he's there now and he clearly needs to be given time to rebuild the squad and first eleven. Fans have to be patient. Bar some miracle, he's not going to develop a title-challenging team next season or maybe even the following one, but as long as progress is being made, they should persist with him and ignore the short-term, knee-jerk bullshit, the same sort of fan and media gobshites who until very recently slammed and dismissed Klopp's outstanding work at Liverpool because "he's won no trophies".

Boycey

United fans have been patient with all the managers since Fergie and will be again with Ole. I've not seen a bad word against him from a United fan but last Sundays capitulation suggests an underlying problem, again!

magpie seanie

Quote from: Boycey on April 24, 2019, 07:55:50 AM
United fans have been patient with all the managers since Fergie and will be again with Ole. I've not seen a bad word against him from a United fan but last Sundays capitulation suggests an underlying problem, again!

Correct and right. There's no need to panic. People who know the club and the players knew the miraculous run was just that - miraculous. What we see in Solskjaer is not about the results. It's the willingness to do things the correct way, attempt to get the best out of the players and not whinge and moan - just get on with the job. The job is a big one and we all know that. Ole may not be able to pull it off but in my book and I think many others, he has earned his chance. That Everton game was a disgrace but we believe players will pay the price for it - it wasn't a symptom of the players hating their manager or the manager having downed tools.

In regard to players in and out I think the biggest decision is Pogba. For him to function he has to be in a team where he's carried to a point with a solid hard working central midfield creating the platform for him to do what he can do. Matic can't do the job any more. I think Fred should be kept because he has shown signs of life recently and McTominay can do a job as well but really - there's not enough strength in that pivotal area. I suspect OGS and co will want to persist with Pogba as he is a United boy and they'll try to build this platform. Recently, teams have keyed in on him because they can afford to. Rashford also looks really tired - seems to be running much slower than usual - and this has allowed defences to condense midfield and bottle up Pogba. Martial seems to have put the feet up since he signed the new contract which again doesn't help with sttretching defences.

Tonight I'd expect a bit of fight but United are not really a match for City. Conceding the number of goals they're leaking, most of them poor and easily avoidable, is an absolute killer for any team. Even on the good run United were leaking goals all the time.

seafoid

Quote from: magpie seanie on April 24, 2019, 08:54:52 AM

Correct and right. There's no need to panic. People who know the club and the players knew the miraculous run was just that - miraculous. What we see in Solskjaer is not about the results. It's the willingness to do things the correct way, attempt to get the best out of the players and not whinge and moan - just get on with the job. The job is a big one and we all know that. Ole may not be able to pull it off but in my book and I think many others, he has earned his chance. That Everton game was a disgrace but we believe players will pay the price for it - it wasn't a symptom of the players hating their manager or the manager having downed tools.

In regard to players in and out I think the biggest decision is Pogba. For him to function he has to be in a team where he's carried to a point with a solid hard working central midfield creating the platform for him to do what he can do. Matic can't do the job any more. I think Fred should be kept because he has shown signs of life recently and McTominay can do a job as well but really - there's not enough strength in that pivotal area. I suspect OGS and co will want to persist with Pogba as he is a United boy and they'll try to build this platform. Recently, teams have keyed in on him because they can afford to. Rashford also looks really tired - seems to be running much slower than usual - and this has allowed defences to condense midfield and bottle up Pogba. Martial seems to have put the feet up since he signed the new contract which again doesn't help with sttretching defences.

Tonight I'd expect a bit of fight but United are not really a match for City. Conceding the number of goals they're leaking, most of them poor and easily avoidable, is an absolute killer for any team. Even on the good run United were leaking goals all the time.

Former midfielder Paul Ince wondered whether the sudden downturn in United's performances might threaten Solskjaer's future.
"The way Man United are performing right now, you have to ask if Ole Gunnar Solskjaer is the right man," Ince said. "You cannot be getting embarrassed at Goodison Park like this."

Keyser soze

Quote from: magpie seanie on April 24, 2019, 08:54:52 AM

Not sure which is the mostest .. the self-delusion or the self-pity.

NAG1

Other fans seem to be obsessed with United at the moment.

Every United with any sesne knew that the team were never as bad as they showed under JM and never as good as they did under Ole to begin with. The truth lays somewhere in the middle.

The comfort that United fans (at least this one) can have is that Ole has an understanding of the club and how it operates and what is expected. So if they club are going to back him then I can see him turning it around but it will take time.

Interesting listening to Chris Sutton on 5 Live last night and he was advocating building the team around Pogba. I would have thought given his outspoken views he would have been looking to sell but made a good argument as to why he should be kept.

seafoid

Man Utd are the most valuable soccer club in the world

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Forbes%27_list_of_the_most_valuable_football_clubs

They should not be in this mess

Maroon Manc

I'm not sure what to with Pogba, if I thought selling him would lead to United bringing in 2 top players then I'd let him go but there's no guarantees we're going to get that right so I'm probably in the camp of keeping him and trying to get the best out of him.

Sunday was a disgrace, there's certainly an issue of a lack of character which can be put right the correct signings. When everything was going United's way earlier on in his reign there was no issues so I do think there's been an overreaction to Sunday's result.

I'm sure I read a stat where United had been out run in every game apart from 2 since Ole took over and he mentioned he wasn't happy with the fitness of the players so certainly plenty of blame has to go to the previous regime. I still don't think he's done a lot wrong tactically since he took over, he's got a lot more right than wrong and has done better in that regard than I was expecting. Realistically its going to take him a couple of summers to put together a team and squad capable of challenging for the title but with the right signings this summer there's no reason why United can't improve dramatically.

gallsman

Quote from: NAG1 on April 24, 2019, 11:16:38 AM

Discussing = obsessed  ::)

One of the biggest clubs in the world and have been in the doldrums for the last 6 years, with a series of misguided managerial appointments and a lot of money spunked up against the wall. It would be strange not to discuss them ffs

GetOverTheBar

Quote from: Maroon Manc on April 24, 2019, 11:42:16 AM
I'm not sure what to with Pogba, if I thought selling him would lead to United bringing in 2 top players then I'd let him go but there's no guarantees we're going to get that right so I'm probably in the camp of keeping him and trying to get the best out of him.

Sunday was a disgrace, there's certainly an issue of a lack of character which can be put right the correct signings. When everything was going United's way earlier on in his reign there was no issues so I do think there's been an overreaction to Sunday's result.

I'm sure I read a stat where United had been out run in every game apart from 2 since Ole took over and he mentioned he wasn't happy with the fitness of the players so certainly plenty of blame has to go to the previous regime. I still don't think he's done a lot wrong tactically since he took over, he's got a lot more right than wrong and has done better in that regard than I was expecting. Realistically its going to take him a couple of summers to put together a team and squad capable of challenging for the title but with the right signings this summer there's no reason why United can't improve dramatically.

The statement alone means he should go. He shows up when he wants - that's not good for Manchester United. When he scores he's dancing around like a clown making it a show v West Ham or whoever. It was no coincidence the game that got Solskjaer the job was one he was banned for (which I still believe he got sent off at OT v PSG so he wouldn't have to play in what he thought was a dead rubber 2nd leg).

He looks like he couldn't be bothered under Jose, now he looks like he's back strolling under Solskjaer. Man Utd certainly can't be carrying passengers anymore - they were ruthless under Fergie, it's time to be ruthless once more if you want to dine at the top table. Whilst he won't solve all woes, getting rid of him first and foremost would send the correct message.

Boycey

Quote from: gallsman on April 24, 2019, 11:59:45 AM

One of the biggest clubs in the world and have been in the doldrums for the last 6 years, with a series of misguided managerial appointments and a lot of money spunked up against the wall. It would be strange not to discuss them ffs

Whatever about obsessing there is very little discussion...

gallsman

Quote from: Boycey on April 24, 2019, 12:41:31 PM
Quote from: gallsman on April 24, 2019, 11:59:45 AM

Whatever about obsessing there is very little discussion...

Ah I disagree.

There's lots of discussion. It's just not necessarily of the highest, or any, quality.

Tony Baloney

Good to see the Man U lads aren't paranoid.