O Garas letter to Indo Editor in reply to Myers Article

Started by SLIGONIAN, February 19, 2010, 08:55:12 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

SLIGONIAN

O'Gara letter to Editor: Why I refuse to be scapegoated by Kevin Myers

Friday February 19 2010

I HAVE to reply to the scurrilous article by Kevin Myers (Irish Independent, February 16), although it takes a lot for me, as a professional sportsman, to react to a newspaper article.

However, rugby is my place of work and whether it's with Munster, Ireland or the Lions, I take my work very seriously.

I do not accept being castigated by a journalist who I suspect knows nothing about rugby but somehow appoints himself as an 'expert'. This falls well short of the journalistic standards I would expect from one of our main national newspapers.

Ireland was well beaten last Saturday by a French team that was better on the day. I am but one of that Irish team and I'm well known for taking my share of responsibility, regardless of the outcome of any game.

I know only too well the build-up to Saturday's game __ and indeed to other recent internationals __ in relation to my position.

I am well able to analyse any game of rugby and would often be accused by those whom I most trust of being my own harshest critic. However, in relation to last Saturday, I will not be scapegoated by Mr Myers or any journalist who wants to write in that fashion.

Any article needs to be balanced and I would suggest to you, Mr Editor, that that is the least you should demand from your journalists, whether freelance or otherwise.

Ronan O'Gara
ROCHESTOWN, CORK

http://www.independent.ie/opinion/columnists/kevin-myers/kevin-myers-its-an-irish-characteristic-we-are-comfortable--with-failure-its-a-familiar-condition-and-it-suits-us-2064681.html

Having read both I can see where Myers is coming from but he does go over the top. How can you criticise a several triple crown winning team and grand slam champs so heavily? If any team had a winners mentality its this group. I do think we self destructed in the 1st half but sure it happens. Im sure our lads will come good again. O Gara shouldnt respond to this IMO, whilst Myers was unfair in some of his comments and kinda right in others, its just his opinion and its a pity a man like OGara lets it get to him.
"hard work will always beat talent if talent doesn't work"

AZOffaly

I agree that O'Gara shouldn't have reacted to Myers. It's grist to his mill. However, I do have to say that Myers in general is the sort of pseudo intellectual who feels obligated to enlighten the ignorant masses with his wisdom that makes me dry heave.

Zapatista

Read O'Gara's letter but have no interest in reading Myers. I hear enough crap daily without intentionally adding to it by reading another Myers piiece. THe time I've wasted reading and reacting to him in the past is already been a heavy price to pay.

Declan

Can understand how O'Gara feels alright but would question the wisdom of replying via the letters page.

AZOffaly

Jaysus Sligonian, will you change your signature? That'll drive us crazy reading threads with a big picture after every post.

SLIGONIAN

Quote from: AZOffaly on February 19, 2010, 09:52:33 AM
Jaysus Sligonian, will you change your signature? That'll drive us crazy reading threads with a big picture after every post.

Im experimenting, give me a few minutes, ah the fun ahead of me :D

magpie seanie

I'm sure Myers will love this but my sympathy is with O'Gara on this one. I'm sure he didn't take the decision to reply lightly. As Sligonian rightly said, this team and indeed the Munster teams O'Gara has been involved with do not share the loser mentality with the general population. They are proper professionals with real ambition and the cojones to really go after what they desire. This has been proven many times not least with the trophies won.

Olaf

Very ill-advised.

Will Healy, Flannery, O'Leary and even Kidney or the whole Irish team be writing into the paper?

Did Mullin do so in '92?

I don't know how  much Myers knows about rugby but as I read it (with his particular reference to O'Gara) he says that he  is a poor tackler and , in conjunction with O'Leary  has not/does not make the best use of the talented backs outside him. Pretty accurate as far as I can see.

Canalman

Very silly of him imo to engage KM this way. There can and will be only one winner here.

saffron sam2

Quote from: Olaf on February 19, 2010, 10:19:58 AM
Very ill-advised.

Will Healy, Flannery, O'Leary and even Kidney or the whole Irish team be writing into the paper?

Did Mullin do so in '92?

I don't know how  much Myers knows about rugby but as I read it (with his particular reference to O'Gara) he says that he  is a poor tackler and , in conjunction with O'Leary  has not/does not make the best use of the talented backs outside him. Pretty accurate as far as I can see.

How much do you need to know about rugby to make that statement?

(Myers I mean, not you)
the breathing of the vanished lies in acres round my feet

Doogie Browser

Myers is a p***k, O'Gara should know better but he has got some fierce press this past 3/4 years.

SLIGONIAN

Considering what ROG has done the press hes got is unfair, the man has done extroadinary things across the white line in all fairness. If he has one weakness its his interpersonal skills and coping with his fame, it came across heavy in his autobigraphy. He seems to be insecure about his rugby skills too when he shouldnt be. Why not have the cop on not to engage myers and as Zapistata says if he annoys you that much dont read his article. I have to say I can see how he pisses people off, but i actually like his way with words and agree with some of what hes said, but dont get me wrong he goes overboard and is way off the mark in some points. To try and compare our politicians or any other Irish team with this Rugby Ireland team is foolish. He also likes to talk down to the readers from his self appointed pedestal which again will annoy people. I dont take his call outs serious though and he clearly likes to wind people up.

brokencrossbar1

I didn't read the article but I listened to Myers on the Ton Dunne show about it yesterday and I nearly went off the road!  I agree with his point that there is sometimes an acceptance of not doing everything to win and accepting being second best, but he picked the wrong example by focusing on this Irish team.  12 games unbeaten at international rugby is a pretty fine record and many of these players have won Heinekin Cups into the bargain.  They are a team of winners as is Kidney and to be honest I think what happened to them this year so far is that the weight of expectance on them has been very heavy.  The whole competition that is running about Joe Soaps giving their team talks, the idea of Back to back Grand Slams, two provincial teams being in the coal face of the European cup.  Myers writes from the comfort of his office about something that he has limited knowledge.  If you are to make statements pick good evidence to back up your point. 

TacadoirArdMhacha

Quote from: saffron sam2 on February 19, 2010, 10:42:11 AM
Quote from: Olaf on February 19, 2010, 10:19:58 AM
Very ill-advised.

Did Mullin do so in '92?

How much do you need to know about rugby to make that statement?

(Myers I mean, not you)

Virtually nothing. I wouldn't say I know enough about rugby to comment constructively on this board, never mind a national newspaper yet I know of that widely accepted view of O'Gara from listening to RTE's pundits and readin the occasion newspaper article.
As I dream about movies they won't make of me when I'm dead

magpie seanie

Yes, his tackling is not the best but to say picking him meant Kidney didn't want to win is scandalous.