The Many Faces of US Politics...

Started by Tyrones own, March 20, 2009, 09:29:14 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Gmac

Quote from: J70 on August 31, 2021, 12:36:37 AM
Quote from: Gmac on August 30, 2021, 11:46:23 PM
Leaving hundreds of American citizens behind enemy lines to fend for themselves is not success.
Biden is  a mumbling moron who should be in a retirement home .

How many are left?

What is their status?

Are they staying by choice? Are they dual citizens?

Evidently you know.
I know as much as that moron in the white house.

Main Street

According to Reuters (possibly a bastion of fake news)
'More than 114,000 people have been airlifted from Kabul airport in the past two weeks as part of the U.S. effort.  including 5,500 U.S. citizens. A small number of American citizens have chosen to continue to stay in Afghanistan, many of them so they can be with family members.

The Taliban have both communicated privately and publicly that they will allow for safe passage',

whitey

I see the mother of one of the dead Marines had her Instagram account deleted "accidentally" due to her criticism of the President

WOW!!!!!

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.newsweek.com/facebook-apologizes-mom-slain-marine-kareem-nikoui-deleting-instagram-account-1624718%3famp=1

J70

whitey

Quote from: J70 on September 01, 2021, 05:30:33 PM
Quote from: whitey on September 01, 2021, 05:17:10 PM
I see the mother of one of the dead Marines had her Instagram account deleted "accidentally" due to her criticism of the President

WOW!!!!!

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.newsweek.com/facebook-apologizes-mom-slain-marine-kareem-nikoui-deleting-instagram-account-1624718%3famp=1

"WOW!!!!!" ??

You're not outraged that big tech silenced the mother of a dead Marine for criticizing the President?

J70

Quote from: whitey on September 01, 2021, 05:41:21 PM

WOW!!!!!

"WOW!!!!!" ??

You're not outraged that big tech silenced the mother of a dead Marine for criticizing the President?

Outraged?

Without knowing what actually happened, no, I'm not. Are you?

Have other posts or memes or critics of Biden been silenced? Is there a campaign or policy? Or was this the work or error of a single screener?

Because I've been seeing plenty of insane, clueless, deranged nonsense on Afghanistan, Covid and all kinds of other issues from some right wing relatives on FB and Instagram.

whitey

Quote from: J70 on September 01, 2021, 05:52:10 PM

WOW!!!!!

"WOW!!!!!" ??

Outraged?

Have other posts or memes or critics of Biden been silenced? Is there a campaign or policy? Or was this the work or error of a single screener?

Because I've been seeing plenty of insane, clueless, deranged nonsense on Afghanistan, Covid and all kinds of other issues from some right wing relatives on FB and Instagram.

Yes-I'm completely outraged

Zuckerberg should be hauled in and have to explain explain exactly what happened and what sanctions have being imposed on the person who took it upon themselves to do this

They have already admitted it was an "error" and have restored her account

J70

Quote from: whitey on September 01, 2021, 05:56:40 PM
Quote from: J70 on September 01, 2021, 05:52:10 PM

WOW!!!!!

"WOW!!!!!" ??

Outraged?

Yes-I'm completely outraged

Zuckerberg should be hauled in and have to explain explain exactly what happened and what sanctions have being imposed on the person who took it upon themselves to do this

They have already admitted it was an "error" and have restored her account

Jesus.

Eamonnca1

Did the conservatives just quietly kill Roe v Wade?

J70

Quote from: Eamonnca1 on September 02, 2021, 10:46:28 PM
Did the conservatives just quietly kill Roe v Wade?

Pretty much.

We'll see now where the country is at now that abortion is going to be criminalized, with private citizens surveilling and suing women.

The GOP used it as a consequence-free way to drum up support for decades. If the support is out there for at least a moderate level of abortion rights, they might wish they'd left things as they were.

RedHand88

3rd trimester abortions are a crazy notion. Only 19% of Americans agree with it. Indeed only 34% agree with 2nd trimester.
Biden and the coastal metropolitan Dems are out of touch.

J70

Quote from: RedHand88 on September 03, 2021, 11:39:37 AM
3rd trimester abortions are a crazy notion. Only 19% of Americans agree with it. Indeed only 34% agree with 2nd trimester.

And the "heartland" "real American" GOPers who want to ban all abortions (because that's what a six week limit does), drive it back into the back alleys, and institute a system of spying and bounty hunting are in touch?

whitey

Quote from: J70 on September 03, 2021, 12:28:00 PM

And the "heartland" "real American" GOPers who want to ban all abortions (because that's what a six week limit does), drive it back into the back alleys, and institute a system of spying and bounty hunting are in touch?

It's a waste of time even discussing this

Those on the extreme right believe all Abortion should be banned in all circumstances and that life begins at conception

Those on the extreme left believe that there should be no restrictions on abortion and it should be allowed up until and including the due date (and that until you're actually born you're not a person)

And Jen Psaki when questioned about it yesterday, essentially told a male reporter yesterday to STFU

J70

Quote from: whitey on September 03, 2021, 01:24:42 PM

Those on the extreme right believe all Abortion should be banned in all circumstances and that life begins at conception

Those on the extreme left believe that there should be no restrictions on abortion and it should be allowed up until and including the due date (and that until you're actually born you're not a person)

And Jen Psaki when questioned about it yesterday, essentially told a male reporter yesterday to STFU

Personally, I believe life begins at conception (but obviously then you're into the discussion of what is a life). And I'm opposed to abortion in most circumstances.

However, I absolutely do not believe that society has any right to insist that a woman has to carry the child of a rapist or to put her own life in danger or force her to go through the trauma of seeing out a doomed pregnancy where the child is either going to suffer and die in utero or after they're born.

And I'm also not sure what my attitude would be if my currently young daughter comes home as a teenager, accidentally pregnant. Or if she was financially destitute or otherwise in hard times and in no fit state to go through a pregnancy.

Like all kinds of issues where division can be sewn and reaped, these laws affect actual, real human beings, not statistics.

And this idea that the right has that most women who seeks abortions are just heading out on their lunchbreak, willy nilly, with no thought or consideration or emotional distress, to use it as a handy means of birth control, is just ludicrous.

All that aside, what these laws REALLY mean is that well-off people, including many Republicans whose "resolve" will cease to exist when it visits their own lives, will continue to have access to abortion as they can just fly to the next state where its permitted, while it will be the poor who will be fucked over.

whitey

Quote from: J70 on September 03, 2021, 01:49:54 PM
Quote from: whitey on September 03, 2021, 01:24:42 PM

Personally, I believe life begins at conception (but obviously then you're into the discussion of what is a life). And I'm opposed to abortion in most circumstances.

However, I absolutely do not believe that society has any right to insist that a woman has to carry the child of a rapist or to put her own life in danger or force her to go through the trauma of seeing out a doomed pregnancy where the child is either going to suffer and die in utero or after they're born.

And I'm also not sure what my attitude would be if my currently young daughter comes home as a teenager, accidentally pregnant. Or if she was financially destitute or otherwise in hard times and in no fit state to go through a pregnancy.

Like all kinds of issues where division can be sewn and reaped, these laws affect actual, real human beings, not statistics.

And this idea that the right has that most women who seeks abortions are just heading out on their lunchbreak, willy nilly, with no thought or consideration or emotional distress, to use it as a handy means of birth control, is just ludicrous.

All that aside, what these laws REALLY mean is that well-off people, including many Republicans whose "resolve" will cease to exist when it visits their own lives, will continue to have access to abortion as they can just fly to the next state where its permitted, while it will be the poor who will be fucked over.

The definition of parenting and family has also changed over the past decades

I know 2 people who are in open adoption scenarios where the birth parents families are involved in the kids life (annual joint family vacations, etc)

One of my sons best friends is an African American kid adopted by a white gay man

Another kid in their class has 2 moms

Hundreds of thousand of people go through IVF every year, while there are millions of pregnancies terminated

I'm not for telling other people what to do, but there are alternatives to abortion that merit serious consideration