Started by Tyrones own, March 20, 2009, 09:29:14 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Milltown Row2

Quote from: RedHand88 on August 27, 2021, 01:02:57 PM
Quote from: J70 on August 27, 2021, 12:52:15 PM
Quote from: RedHand88 on August 27, 2021, 11:09:50 AM
Taken from twitter

He's the president america deserves, but not the one it needs right now

BTW I don't have a horse in this race, I just thought this was funny before the usual suspects jump on me and call me a fascist.

You've been called a fascist here?

Given that Trump set the whole thing up and as recently as a couple of months ago was making a big public deal of how Biden was way too slow in getting out of Afghanistan, you'd have to wonder what rock someone who really thinks Trump would be doing a better job has been living under for the past five years.

Yes, I have. All because I had reservations about Biden and that the "anybody but Trump" brigade should be careful. Feeling vindicated now.

Blaming Trump is completely missing the point. Its deflection from the real problem. Trump was right about withdrawing, Biden was right about withdrawing. Its the way it was actually carried out that is the issue. The Biden administration massively massively underestimated the Taliban and it has resulted in catastrophe.

How can anyone underestimate the Taliban? They've defeated the Russians and now NATO, even Rambo joined them (when it was ok) maybe the key here was not just saying they were leaving but also the Afghan security lads saying f**k this malarkey
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

Main Street

I read that the bould Rudi has put his foot in mouth again. Answering questions about his drinking problem. "It's extremely insulting. There's no proof of any kind that I take too much alcohol. That's ridiculous." :D

J70

Quote from: RedHand88 on August 27, 2021, 01:02:57 PM
Quote from: J70 on August 27, 2021, 12:52:15 PM
Quote from: RedHand88 on August 27, 2021, 11:09:50 AM
Taken from twitter

He's the president america deserves, but not the one it needs right now

BTW I don't have a horse in this race, I just thought this was funny before the usual suspects jump on me and call me a fascist.

You've been called a fascist here?

Given that Trump set the whole thing up and as recently as a couple of months ago was making a big public deal of how Biden was way too slow in getting out of Afghanistan, you'd have to wonder what rock someone who really thinks Trump would be doing a better job has been living under for the past five years.

Yes, I have. All because I had reservations about Biden and that the "anybody but Trump" brigade should be careful. Feeling vindicated now.

Blaming Trump is completely missing the point. Its deflection from the real problem. Trump was right about withdrawing, Biden was right about withdrawing. Its the way it was actually carried out that is the issue. The Biden administration massively massively underestimated the Taliban and it has resulted in catastrophe.

Where did I blame Trump?

I questioned what basis there is for the notion or even presumption that the withdrawal would have gone any better under Trump.

whitey

There's plenty of blame to go around

John Bolton has now come out and blamed Trump

Gmac

Quote from: whitey on August 28, 2021, 11:22:12 AM

that's probably why he's on cnn now . Bolton would like the US fighting permanently in the Middle East .

Gmac

Joe and co just killed 9 people including 6 children in a rocket attack ,they tried to say they killed members of isis first . The lies and incompetence are unbelievable, are the taliban providing them locations to target ? or killing people for them in other words.

Gabriel_Hurl

Where was your condemnation when the previous fella was airstriking the fuck out of the place killing scores of children?

QuoteIn January of 2019, a strike in Helmand killed ten children.
Two months later and hundreds of miles away in Nangarhar, ten young cousins lost their lives.
The pattern continues: in July of that year, a farmer in Baghlan lost his wife and six children.

https://www.thebureauinvestigates.com/stories/2020-06-03/the-families-paying-the-price-for-the-war-in-afghanistan

Spare me your faux-outrage bollocks

omochain

Why do you bother your arse responding to GMAC? He is disingenuous, misinformed and comes from Queen's County.

seafoid

Quote from: whitey on August 28, 2021, 11:22:12 AM

https://www.ft.com/content/5a35e66f-ccf1-4625-a248-3c425b77a4e8#comments-anchor

Since at least 2014, the role of US forces there, who by 2020 numbered only 2,500, was simply to act as a backstop for the Afghan forces, not to nation build. With that relatively modest military commitment acting as a keystone, the Afghan army had been able to contain a well organised and well-funded Islamist insurgency.

The goal was that the military stalemate should lead to a peace deal. But why would the Taliban have ever agreed to that when the US was adamant that it would leave on August 31, come what may? We know now that Biden's timing was driven not by conditions on the ground, but by the terms of President Trump's February 2020 deal with the Taliban, which he modified and implemented. That resulted in an unnecessary cliff-edge type withdrawal, and the shambolic exit which has culminated in the chaos at Kabul airport.
"f**k it, just score"- Donaghy   https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IbxG2WwVRjU

seafoid

The Afghanistan clusterfuck is a great example of this :

.https://www.ft.com/content/3749175a-4c17-11ea-95a0-43d18ec715f5
More broadly, Trump['s short-term transactionalism and willingness to use all available instruments of US power creates an unstable and unpredictable world not just for governments, but also for businesses.
"f**k it, just score"- Donaghy   https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IbxG2WwVRjU

Main Street

I think Biden and the US army have adjusted to the radically changed circumstances and managed the exodus with a stubborn dedication and efficiency. For the most part the Taliban have kept to the plan, no USA citizens were killed by them and some 100,000 Afghani 'collaborators' were allowed to leave in peace via the airport in a matter of days. Except for that one horrible incident, the Taliban ensured the  entry to the airport was kept safe from attack amidst the total chaos of thousands of Afghani civilians wanting to flee. The USA had lost the war and wanted to exit, Trump's administration negotiated the terms of the surrender and Biden was completely ok with those terms. I didn't think Biden had the guts to hold his ground on principle against a concerted mass media campaign of disapproval. 

Gmac

Leaving hundreds of American citizens behind enemy lines to fend for themselves is not success.
Biden is  a mumbling moron who should be in a retirement home .

Gabriel_Hurl

Gmac

J70

Quote from: Gmac on August 30, 2021, 11:46:23 PM
Leaving hundreds of American citizens behind enemy lines to fend for themselves is not success.
Biden is  a mumbling moron who should be in a retirement home .

How many are left?

What is their status?

Are they staying by choice? Are they dual citizens?

Evidently you know.