Death Notices

Started by Armagh4SamAgain, April 05, 2007, 03:25:33 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

seafoid

Quote from: Shamrock Shore on February 22, 2017, 03:25:20 PM
Quote from: From the Bunker on February 22, 2017, 02:22:53 PM
Cardinal Dessie was just a weak character, who also seemed to have no overall concept of how much damage his actions had on a lot of people. The weakness of character of the clergy seems to be an over riding factor. It would have taken a brave man in the clergy to say no or to be a whistleblower. Sometimes people are not bad or malicious they are just natural cowards who end up in the wrong place at the wrong time with difficult decisions to make.

The same can/could be said of cardinal brady.

Well said. I would not suggest that Connell was inherently evil - he was a bookish academic that was promoted way above his station. However, that said, his actions in frustrating the legal process, and basically lying to State authorities, all to protect Mother Church, is appalling and stains whatever "good name" he may have had.

Dying does not absolve him of this in my eyes.

It would seem men with red hats can do no wrong with some people.
The irony is that he didn't protect the church. He undermined it.

From the FT :
It is not complicated. Any half-competent flak knows the drill. Own the bad news. Make sure colleagues and partners are prepared; go public quickly, clearly, and completely; be accountable; be available. Candour is a sign of respect

"f**k it, just score"- Donaghy   https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IbxG2WwVRjU

T Fearon

So we have all done the right thing at all times,have never turned a blind eye to things we knew instinctively were wrong to protect our own reputation or that of an organisation we belonged to?

Sadly it is human instinct to cover one's back,without thinking through the consequences.Desmond Connell deserves a fairer judgement than one defined by his mistakes,serious as they were.

ziggy90

Quote from: T Fearon on February 20, 2017, 09:06:30 PM
Roger Hynd wasn't a patch on fellow Birmingham player Kenny Burns when it comes to toughness.

Apparently Steve Hewlett died while listening to Bob Dylan.Wonder was it Knockin on Heaven's Door

I saw with my own eyes Roger Hynd chase Kenny Burns the length of the St Andrews pitch, Kenny was shitting himself!!
Questions that shouldn't be asked shouldn't be answered

longballin

Quote from: T Fearon on February 22, 2017, 06:38:12 PM
So we have all done the right thing at all times,have never turned a blind eye to things we knew instinctively were wrong to protect our own reputation or that of an organisation we belonged to?

Sadly it is human instinct to cover one's back,without thinking through the consequences.Desmond Connell deserves a fairer judgement than one defined by his mistakes,serious as they were.

'Truly I tell you, whatever you did not do for one of the least of these, you did not do for me," according to your church... don't see the bit about ah sure it's human instinct...

Puckoon

Loathe to reply to you Tony but can even you not see the difference in turning a blind eye between a shopkeeper on the border and a priest in the Church?

T Fearon

I am not saying it's right,but the human instinct is to conceal.I am sure in his latter years Desmond Connell had regrets,and my Church preaches contrition, repentance and God's forgiveness.It also teaches that no one should judge another

longballin

Quote from: T Fearon on February 22, 2017, 09:41:03 PM
I am not saying it's right,but the human instinct is to conceal.I am sure in his latter years Desmond Connell had regrets,and my Church preaches contrition, repentance and God's forgiveness.It also teaches that no one should judge another

Concealing paedophiles is not a human instinct - it is evil.

The Subbie

No one should judge another ??? WTF were the Magdelene laundrys all about then ??
You are one sick puppy.

The facts are that Dessie enabled the most vile abuse on children imaginable.
Dessie knew it was going on, was told it was going on & did nowt .
Nothing. Not a f**king thing.

But in your eyes as long as he gets a good funeral that's ok then, and you wonder why , in these thankfully more enlightened times that mass attendances & vocations are dropping ?? It's religious fundamentalist behaviour by the likes of you - actually similar in tone and content to some of Arlene's bigoted ramblings - that drive people from the catholic faith the world over.

Good job Tony, well done on that.

T Fearon

He made a serious error of judgement,didn't consider the impact on the victims and wrongly thought he was protecting the Church.But if he reflected laterally and repented I am sure God forgave him.

The inescapable question again arises,why didn't the people who told Desmond Connell about the abuse,not tell the Police? Surely these people are culpable too.

Puckoon

Whoaaaa! Now we're getting somewhere Tone. Can you apply these few sentences to some of the nonsense you've spouted over the board about homosexuality, sex before marriage, and divorce - in regards to "your" church?

T Fearon

What do you not understand? Church teaching based on scripture says all these things are sinful,this cannot be changed on the grounds of liberalism or so called compassion nor "modernised" They are sinful,full stop.

Hardy

Quote from: T Fearon on February 24, 2015, 11:01:18 PMIf a gay couple wanted to rent a room to clearly spend a night in that room as a normal heterosexual married couple,yes I believe the owner of a B&B should have a right to refuse their custom.

sid waddell

Quote from: Hardy on February 23, 2017, 12:10:10 AM

Quote from: T Fearon on February 24, 2015, 11:01:18 PMIf a gay couple wanted to rent a room to clearly spend a night in that room as a normal heterosexual married couple,yes I believe the owner of a B&B should have a right to refuse their custom.

The great thing about people like Tony is that they're always so easy to expose as complete hypocrites.

longballin

Tony on same hymn sheet as DUP - fundamentalist hypocrite

T Fearon

Being non judgemental is not the same as declining to facilitate sin.