Death Notices

Started by Armagh4SamAgain, April 05, 2007, 03:25:33 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

T Fearon

Ralph Milne Man Utd and Dundee Utd legend

Oraisteach

Al O'Donnell is my favourites folk singer.  So upset when I left his first album out in direct sunlight and it warped.  A great voice, rich with feeling.  Truly sad.

From the Bunker

Cycling great Mick 'Iron Man' Murphy dies after long and colourful life

(Unbelievably I had) Never heard of this man until today. Seems to have been some character.

http://www.rte.ie/sport/cycling/2015/0911/727279-iron-man-mick-murphy-dies/

muppet

Quote from: From the Bunker on September 11, 2015, 06:52:29 PM
Cycling great Mick 'Iron Man' Murphy dies after long and colourful life

(Unbelievably I had) Never heard of this man until today. Seems to have been some character.

http://www.rte.ie/sport/cycling/2015/0911/727279-iron-man-mick-murphy-dies/

This is f*cking brilliant. Image that now!

His 1958 win in the Ras Tailteann, which at the time was one of Ireland's leading sporting events, is the stuff of legend.
He came from nowhere to take honours having only taken up cycling the previous year and it's then that he earned his well-deserved nickname.

During the '58 race mechanical failure forced him to abandon his bike on a stage to Clonakilty in Cork and so as not to lose time he took a bike from a shocked local farmer herding his cows.

The old boneshaker had no gears and was too heavy, but Murphy buried himself to ensure that he didn't lose much time on the leaders and this kept him in overall contention.
MWWSI 2017

AZOffaly

Yogi Berra, famous old catcher for the Yankees, aged 90.  He was either deliberately or unintentionally one of the great phrase manglers in history, as well as a great baseball player.

Some of his gems.

In theory there is no difference between theory and practice. In practice there is.
It ain't over till it's over.
You wouldn't have won if we'd beaten you.
When you come to a fork in the road, take it.
Baseball is ninety percent mental and the other half is physical.
Nobody goes there anymore. It's too crowded.
Even Napoleon had his Watergate.
He hits from both sides of the plate. He's amphibious.
We made too many wrong mistakes.
It's like deja-vu, all over again.
I always thought that record would stand until it was broken.
I was in the invasion of Normandy in southern France.
You should always go to other people's funerals; otherwise, they won't come to yours.
I just want to thank everyone who made this day necessary.
So I'm ugly. So what? I never saw anyone hit with his face.

And

I never said most of the things I said.

deiseach

Mrs Berra: "Yogi, you are from St. Louis, we live in New Jersey, and you played ball in New York. If you go before I do, where would you like me to have you buried?"

Yogi: "I don't know, surprise me."

5 Sams

Quote from: deiseach on September 23, 2015, 11:17:46 AM
Mrs Berra: "Yogi, you are from St. Louis, we live in New Jersey, and you played ball in New York. If you go before I do, where would you like me to have you buried?"

I remember being at a conference in Pittsburgh in the 90s. Some US politician opened the conference with a typically slick speech and dropped in a few Yogi Berra quotes for a laugh. A Northern Ireland Minister (Jean Denton I think) got up to speak after the yank and started making references to YOGI BEAR...I shit you not. Sniggers all round in the audience.
The Aristocrat Years

AZOffaly

Please tell me she did a BooBoo joke?

5 Sams

Quote from: AZOffaly on September 23, 2015, 11:45:02 AM
Please tell me she did a BooBoo joke?
Do you know something AZ, it's 20 years ago now but I have a vague memory that BooBoo was mentioned by her alright!
The Aristocrat Years

Orior

Quote from: deiseach on September 23, 2015, 11:17:46 AM

I once heard a similar story....

Son: "Dad, you're not well, and we have to talk about this sooner or later. When you die, do you want buried or cremated?"

Dad: "Surprise me"
Cover me in chocolate and feed me to the lesbians

AZOffaly

That's a yogi ism as well

BennyCake

Brian Friel, playwright, aged 86.

CD

Quote from: BennyCake on October 02, 2015, 11:19:07 AM
A genius! RIP. Love his plays. If anyone fancies a short introduction to his writing, there are 5 short stories on bbc I player radio at the moment. Just search Brian Friel. Was just listening to them last weekend. Took my wife to Dancing at Lughnasa in the Lyric on our second date! I hope you Killyclogher men honour him with a statue at McGinns!
Who's a bit of a moaning Michael tonight!

Gaffer

Denis Healey!! (No relation to our hero David)

Labour Gov minister during 70s....You remember him....Big bushy eyebrows. Aye, that's him!
"Well ! Well ! Well !  If it ain't the Smoker !!!"

ONeill

Quote from: BennyCake on October 02, 2015, 11:19:07 AM

Taught Translations to a class of Asian lads in Birmingham in '98 and they loved it.
I wanna have my kicks before the whole shithouse goes up in flames.