The Official Tennis Thread

Started by Doogie Browser, January 26, 2010, 11:25:28 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Angelo

Quote from: Milltown Row2 on February 02, 2020, 01:55:14 PM
Quote from: Angelo on February 02, 2020, 12:47:06 PM
AO no 8 for Djokovic.

Poor enough final all told, Thiem will be disappointed he didn't take advantage of Djokovic in that form.

Your knowledge of tennis is like your knowledge of Tyrones efforts in Ulster club championship.

Novak is unreal, to beat a fitter younger player who beat Nadal on the way says something about the man

I thought I called it pretty well. Thiem was a level or two below how he played in the QF and SF. He had 6 hours more on court and a day's less rest than Djokovic before the final.

He's certainly the player on tour at the minute who unsettles Djokovic the most.
GAA FUNDING CHEATS CHEAT US ALL

Milltown Row2

Quote from: Angelo on February 02, 2020, 02:20:10 PM
AO no 8 for Djokovic.

Poor enough final all told, Thiem will be disappointed he didn't take advantage of Djokovic in that form.

Your knowledge of tennis is like your knowledge of Tyrones efforts in Ulster club championship.

Novak is unreal, to beat a fitter younger player who beat Nadal on the way says something about the man

I thought I called it pretty well. Thiem was a level or two below how he played in the QF and SF. He had 6 hours more on court and a day's less rest than Djokovic before the final.

He's certainly the player on tour at the minute who unsettles Djokovic the most.

This lad will win but the trio won't be hanging up the rackets just yet. Novak is the younger of the three and could possibly catch them. I think he had the best record against the other two
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

Angelo

Quote from: Milltown Row2 on February 02, 2020, 02:57:44 PM
Quote from: Angelo on February 02, 2020, 02:20:10 PM
AO no 8 for Djokovic.

This lad will win but the trio won't be hanging up the rackets just yet. Novak is the younger of the three and could possibly catch them. I think he had the best record against the other two

Djokovic has a winning record head to head against Nadal and Federer but Nadal has a winning record head to head against Djokovic and Federer at slams.

The problem for Djokovic is that the next gen coming through all excel on hard courts bar Thiem who is more at home on clay. Djokovic had a really handy draw, Tsitsipas flopped early doors and the only real tough tie he had on paper was a weary Federer.

I don't think Nadal can beat Djokovic on hard courts anymore, he's had to adjust his game in the past few years and he doesn't have the legs to live with Djokovic like he would have in his prime. Djokovic's biggest threat on hard courts will come from the likes of Thiem, Tsitsipas and Medvedev - maybe Shapovalov if he can kick on too.

How the draw pans out will decide the future slams, do Djokovic, Nadal and Federer have the reserves to come through 5 setters from the QF stage anymore unlikely. If the likes of Zverev, Medevedev, Thiem and Tsitsipas play up to their seeds then that means the big 3 will have to do it the hard way to win slams.

nrico2006

Be interesting to see who ends up on top of the GS list, Federer unlikely to add many more, if any. Nadal will likely add a RG title for most of his remaining years too and could pick up one or two others. The sky is the limit for Djokovic though, should be on top in two years unless something goes spectacularly wrong.
'To the extreme I rock a mic like a vandal, light up a stage and wax a chump like a candle.'

Milltown Row2

Nadal would need to be injured to lose French, Wimbledon is Fed's best chance for him. Again he'll need to be injury free, he was unlucky this time as he was injured against Novak
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

Angelo

First next gen winner on the way.

Djokovic defaulted after blasting a ball at the line judge.

mrdeeds

Quote from: Angelo on September 06, 2020, 09:36:47 PM
First next gen winner on the way.

Djokovic defaulted after blasting a ball at the line judge.

Hardly blasted.

square_ball

Boycey

I wonder when her claim will go in  :)

Roesider

Just saw that footage. Jesus Christ did she make a meal of it. it was an underhand as well.
I bet if had been a different player the ejection would not have happened.

Orior

I would have just caught the ball.
Cover me in chocolate and feed me to the lesbians

gallsman

Quote from: Roesider on September 10, 2020, 07:11:57 PM
Just saw that footage. Jesus Christ did she make a meal of it. it was an underhand as well.
I bet if had been a different player the ejection would not have happened.

Horseshit. Anyone other than Djokovic, Federer, Serena etc they wouldn't even have got the the on court explanation.

As for the line judge, taking a tennis ball to throat could cripple anyone if it hits you square on the windpipe.

Angelo

First next gen winner is on the way in any case.

Medvedev or Thiem will now have contested 4 of the last 5 slams so the tide is turning, think it's very likely the decider between them this evening. Zverev is capable but don't think he has the resolve of Medvedev or Thiem who have slam final experience.

If you asked me two years ago who went end up top of the pile I would certainly have said Djokovic but he was quite lucky to dig out his last two slams in five setters against Thiem and Federer and the fact that the next gen are all excelling on Djokovic's favourite surface is a worry for him.

When Nadal closed in on Federer at the US Open and Djokovic followed up at the Australian it seemed unlikely Federer would stay at the top but Covid has really upset the apple cart. The French Open looks set to be a much stronger field than the US was so should be much more interesting.

Both Nadal and Djokovic will be desperate to avoid Thiem on their side of the draw, Thiem will likely have to beat both to win RG and he's capable of that, he's playing outstanding tennis in the past 18 months and is young and fresh enough to do it.

I don't think Nadal can take both Djokovic and Thiem in the one weekend now and I don't think Djokovic is strong enough on clay to beat the two best clay courters back to back either. It looks set to be a Thiem v Nadal/Djokovic final depending on how the draw goes.

Angelo

Thiem wins his first slam, first player to come from 2 sets down in a US Open final since 1949.

Mikhail Prokhorov

great drama, fair play, both tried to throw it away, have no doubt jokes would have prevailed against either had they not canned him

thiem will be a threat in paris but still fancy rafa