A United Ireland. Opening up the discussion.

Started by winghalfback, May 27, 2015, 03:16:23 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

omaghjoe

Quote from: Applesisapples on August 16, 2019, 09:22:54 AM
Quote from: omaghjoe on August 15, 2019, 05:09:34 PM
The free at point of service is a rallying call for Corbyn. IT will run the NHS into the ground

One free appointment per year for checkup and a charge if you need additional. U13 and O60 obviously should be given more/completely free. Would be a good starting point

As for antibiotics dont get me started, if you take a sick wean to the doctor they'll tell you its a virus and then proceed to superscribe antibiotics!!! 7 years trainng for that... WTF
Bullshit and disingenuous, GP's train for 4 years after graduation and none of us would put up with the crap they have to go through to get there. I have never met a GP yet who would dish out unwarranted Ab's. There is a shortage of GP's for very obvious reasons.

You have a 5 year degree +2 years training to become a doctor that was the 7 I was talking about. Not sure what it is after that to become a GP.. presumably another 2?

Im sure you have never meet a GP who would admit to prescribing "unwarranted Abs" especially in their professional circles but i can guarantee you they are prescribed for viruses. Usually introduced with "well normally I don't like to prescribe antibiotics, but....." I am quite sure if they were pushed on it they would say have an answer like "The patient was showing signs of possible infection and required an immediate course of ABs....."

seafoid

https://www.rte.ie/news/2019/0816/1069255-new-settlement-on-the-island/

Quoting 2014 figures, the economists say the North contributed £1bn to UK Defence spending and £1bn towards the British national debt.

They add: "Furthermore, there will undoubtedly be some loss of public sector jobs in administering functions that would no longer exist in a post-unification scenario eg: HM Revenue and Customs which will reduce subvention costs further, although the net effect will be dependent on the success of former public sector workers finding re-employment."

There are also significant disparities in social welfare systems.

For example, an unemployed individual aged over 26 is entitled to a maximum of €193 per week in the Republic.

The equivalent payment in the North is £73.10 (€79.78).

Séamus McGuinness and Adele Bergin also found that incomes in the North were far behind wealthier regions in both Great Britain and Ireland.

That is partly explained by low productivity levels.

In an analysis of educational standards across the regions of Britain and Ireland in 2015, Northern Ireland had the highest population of share of individuals without qualifications and was the poorest performer in terms of graduates

Pension payments are also higher in the South.

"f**k it, just score"- Donaghy   https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IbxG2WwVRjU

markl121

Quote from: omaghjoe on August 16, 2019, 03:42:46 PM
Quote from: Applesisapples on August 16, 2019, 09:22:54 AM
Quote from: omaghjoe on August 15, 2019, 05:09:34 PM
The free at point of service is a rallying call for Corbyn. IT will run the NHS into the ground

One free appointment per year for checkup and a charge if you need additional. U13 and O60 obviously should be given more/completely free. Would be a good starting point

As for antibiotics dont get me started, if you take a sick wean to the doctor they'll tell you its a virus and then proceed to superscribe antibiotics!!! 7 years trainng for that... WTF
Bullshit and disingenuous, GP's train for 4 years after graduation and none of us would put up with the crap they have to go through to get there. I have never met a GP yet who would dish out unwarranted Ab's. There is a shortage of GP's for very obvious reasons.

You have a 5 year degree +2 years training to become a doctor that was the 7 I was talking about. Not sure what it is after that to become a GP.. presumably another 2?

Im sure you have never meet a GP who would admit to prescribing "unwarranted Abs" especially in their professional circles but i can guarantee you they are prescribed for viruses. Usually introduced with "well normally I don't like to prescribe antibiotics, but....." I am quite sure if they were pushed on it they would say have an answer like "The patient was showing signs of possible infection and required an immediate course of ABs....."

Having worked as a pharmacist in both the north and the south, the southern gps are mad for prescribing antibiotics, especially in odd or substandard doses that appear to be given just to get the patient out of their hair. Any weekends I work where I'm dealing with out of hours doctors, every single script that comes in is an antibiotic. Feels like when people are paying the 40-50 Euro to see the out of hours, the doctor feels obliged to give an antiobiotic instead of telling the patient to go home and rest.

Denn Forever

I wish it was 40-50 euro.  Here(Cavan) it is 90 euro for doctor on call.
I have more respect for a man
that says what he means and
means what he says...

markl121

Quote from: Denn Forever on August 18, 2019, 03:28:11 PM
That's mental. Had a woman telling me the doctor on  charged 50 if paying by card or 20 if paying cash. Cowboys

armaghniac

Quote from: markl121 on August 18, 2019, 03:36:49 PM
That's mental. Had a woman telling me the doctor on  charged 50 if paying by card or 20 if paying cash. Cowboys

A doctor on call is going to take as long getting there as actually seeing the patient. You wouldn't be seeing 3 or 4 in an hour.
If at first you don't succeed, then goto Plan B

markl121

Quote from: armaghniac on August 18, 2019, 04:07:44 PM

A doctor on call is going to take as long getting there as actually seeing the patient. You wouldn't be seeing 3 or 4 in an hour.

I'm more getting to the point he's charging 20 cash which is obviously going into the back pocket

armaghniac

Quote from: markl121 on August 18, 2019, 05:27:30 PM

I'm more getting to the point he's charging 20 cash which is obviously going into the back pocket

A whole 20! Who wouldn't want to be a doctor.
If at first you don't succeed, then goto Plan B

Rossfan

So a United Ireland is to be decided by anti biotics and prescriptions :o
Davy's given us a dream to cling to
We're going to bring home the SAM

markl121

Quote from: armaghniac on August 18, 2019, 05:48:29 PM
Quote from: markl121 on August 18, 2019, 05:27:30 PM

A whole 20! Who wouldn't want to be a doctor.

He's getting paid well by the Hse to provide the out of hours service also. The rest isn't documented. But sure tear you on

t_mac

Quote from: Rossfan on August 18, 2019, 06:40:29 PM

Do you not think health care for all citizens is important.

t_mac

Quote from: Applesisapples on August 16, 2019, 03:03:05 PM
Quote from: t_mac on August 16, 2019, 10:15:53 AM
In my surgery they have left a prescription at reception for antibiotics without seeing me, they have also done this for other members of my family, this is from a triage of a minute over the phone.
Presumably not before ascertaining that you actually need them.

With a minute phone call, some haven't been taken and the underlying issue has cleared. I presume they are just under so much pressure they try to clear backlogs

BennyCake

Quote from: Rossfan on August 18, 2019, 06:40:29 PM

Similar issues swung the Scottish referendum a few years ago.

seafoid

Quote from: smelmoth on May 10, 2019, 08:46:40 PM
Quote from: general_lee on May 10, 2019, 08:04:25 PM
Quote from: dec on May 10, 2019, 05:44:04 PM
Quote from: general_lee on May 10, 2019, 05:32:09 PM
I know fine rightly a lot of them won't like it, and they're welcome to move to Britain if it is that unbearable.

Should that have been the attitude of Unionists towards nationalists?

"You're welcome to move down south if you find Northern Ireland so unbearable."

Well the thing is, many people from the north *did* move, many were forced to do so.  That was and still is the attitude among some of the more loyal citizens in NI today. Luckily, Unionists will never have to face what Irish nationalists endured back when they ran the show in the north. So if they don't like the democracy the option to flourish in post-brexit Britain is always there for them
I will agree that some were forced but a tiny fraction. The majority who left NI left for the same reason as they left RoI and the poorer regions of Europe

The rest of your "free to leave" rhetoric I will leave to those indulging in Orbanesque politics

Nationalist emigration was higher than Unionist for many years . This was by design.
"f**k it, just score"- Donaghy   https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IbxG2WwVRjU