Kildare v Galway. Super 8s Round 2. 22 July 2pm #newbridgeornowhere

Started by Dinny Breen, July 16, 2018, 10:05:41 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Syferus

Quote from: Dinny Breen on July 27, 2018, 10:31:48 AM
Quote from: GaillimhIarthair on July 27, 2018, 10:20:47 AM
We are far from precious and it's a very long time since the media blew smoke up our asses in reference to our footballers - we were a shambles for years and failed miserably to adapt to an evolving football landscape in the mid 00s.  It's taken us a decade and a half to recover.  As you say, I'm delighted where we are at now, and it's great to finally be in with a shout at the business end of the championship - it's been far too long.

Exactly, Galway are a template for the Tipp's/Kildare's/Roscommon's/Cavan's. It's one thing getting your underage set-up sorted but you need then to get the physicality and crucially the mentality that brings to compete with the Mayo's, Kerry's, Tyrone's, Donegal's and Monaghan's on consistent basis. It's dog eat dog, get that right and then you can look having a pop at the GAA's team, Galway and Kildare have learned, pretty football will only get you so far.

We regularly beat that Galway team, while only serves to highlight their limitations. Their conditioning more than their system is what's impressive.

weareros

Quote from: Syferus on July 27, 2018, 01:04:53 PM
We are far from precious and it's a very long time since the media blew smoke up our asses in reference to our footballers - we were a shambles for years and failed miserably to adapt to an evolving football landscape in the mid 00s.  It's taken us a decade and a half to recover.  As you say, I'm delighted where we are at now, and it's great to finally be in with a shout at the business end of the championship - it's been far too long.

Exactly, Galway are a template for the Tipp's/Kildare's/Roscommon's/Cavan's. It's one thing getting your underage set-up sorted but you need then to get the physicality and crucially the mentality that brings to compete with the Mayo's, Kerry's, Tyrone's, Donegal's and Monaghan's on consistent basis. It's dog eat dog, get that right and then you can look having a pop at the GAA's team, Galway and Kildare have learned, pretty football will only get you so far.

We regularly beat that Galway team, while only serves to highlight their limitations. Their conditioning more than their system is what's impressive.

Define regularly. We met them 3 times in the championship in the last 3 years and it is Galway 2 Roscommon 1. We last met them competitively in the league 4 years ago and Galway won.

Unless you mean the FBD???

galwayman

Quote from: weareros on July 27, 2018, 01:47:38 PM
Quote from: Syferus on July 27, 2018, 01:04:53 PM

Define regularly. We met them 3 times in the championship in the last 3 years and it is Galway 2 Roscommon 1. We last met them competitively in the league 4 years ago and Galway won.

Unless you mean the FBD???
Galway have lost 3 championship games to Roscommon in 29 years - 1990, 2001 and 2017.
3 defeats out of 12 excluding draws.
Hardly a regular occurrence I would have thought.
In modern times - last years Connacht final is the only league or championship game that Roscommon have won unless I'm mistaken.

Rossfan

It's a wonder Syf didn't also mention his other mantra -that Kevin Walsh is a totally useless manager.
Davy's given us a dream to cling to
We're going to bring home the SAM

imtommygunn

Quote from: Dinny Breen on July 27, 2018, 08:15:49 AM
Quote from: imtommygunn on July 27, 2018, 07:59:54 AM
They may be cynical but it is hardly a new level dinny. That is a bit sensationalist  :D All the top teams are cynical inclusive of the dubs.

Just sticking to the narrative ITG.

I did wonder ;D

Syferus

Quote from: Rossfan on July 27, 2018, 03:19:53 PM
It's a wonder Syf didn't also mention his other mantra -that Kevin Walsh is a totally useless manager.

Please point me to where I ever said that. Thanks, grammar-man.

Kuwabatake Sanjuro

Quote from: Rossfan on July 27, 2018, 03:19:53 PM

I've had my doubts about Kevin Walsh ever since I seen Sligo put up the most pathetic performance I've ever seen in the championship in 2013 (As a Kildare man I've seen plenty including conceding 7 goals). They lost to Kildare by a mere 13 points to 4 but kept 14 men behind the ball all game and only scored from play at the very end when O'Hara came on but it was a farcical performance to exit a championship.

To be fair to him he has done well at Galway but with the talent available you would need to be a fair disaster to not have them in the top 8.

Rossfan

Ayf has memory loss to go with all his other ailments  I see.
You've been spouting about how bad Walsh is for years.
Davy's given us a dream to cling to
We're going to bring home the SAM

Syferus

Quote from: Rossfan on July 27, 2018, 07:07:56 PM

Show me where I said he was a totally useless manager or delete your post. Either or.

seafoid

Quote from: Syferus on July 27, 2018, 07:11:10 PM
Quote from: Rossfan on July 27, 2018, 07:07:56 PM

Show me where I said he was a totally useless manager or delete your post. Either or.

I will.sort you out Syf. Need a bit of tïme though. Kevin Walsh is useless and the Ros forwards are better than Galway's seem to be 2 of your favourite riffs.