Promising Players for Mayo 2018

Started by mrhardyannual, September 30, 2017, 12:56:34 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tubberman

Quote from: galwayman on January 15, 2021, 06:12:25 PM
Quote from: macdanger2 on January 15, 2021, 03:16:28 PM
With Barrett (& the steadying influence of Clarke) gone and Harrison out injured, Horan will need to have a good look at how he sets up the full back line. Keegan & Mullin played there this year but both look better out the field. Who else will be in the mix:

O'Hora - again probably better as a half back
McBrien?
Brickendon?
Coyne?
??

That's looking pretty light

Edit: Drake? Eoin O'D?
Would Harrison not be back for 2021? I know he was really good in his first year or two with Mayo but honestly in the years since I felt he was there for the taking. He seemed to regress quite a bit.
Eoin O Donoghue looked to me to be a future All Star. Surprising that he wasn't involved this year.
No doubt there is a story behind it I'm sure.

Rumour is that Harrison's injuries are fairly long term and he mightn't be back at all.
Drake retired last year.
Eoin O'D has looked like next in line for several years but has never got much of a look in from Rochford or Horan for some reason. Hard to keep at it when you're not getting a run I'd imagine, so hopefully he gets his chance this year.
"Our greatest glory is not in never falling, but in rising every time we fall."

rosnarun

time to revisit this
Eoin o d is no longer on the panel , #dont think theres a story just horan didnt pick him . maybe under the next manager , if andy and Aidan  pick him
a lot of the new faces have slipped under this radar
Hession
Eoghan Mclauglin
carney
Donnacha McHugh
aidan orme
and hopefully sam callinan

Kinda show the gap between horans and the supporters thinking and horan has been proved right often enough now to get the benefit of the doubt
If you make yourself understood, you're always speaking well. Moliere

Never beat the deeler

Quote from: rosnarun on February 24, 2022, 12:59:51 PM
time to revisit this
Eoin o d is no longer on the panel , #dont think theres a story just horan didnt pick him . maybe under the next manager , if andy and Aidan  pick him
a lot of the new faces have slipped under this radar
Hession
Eoghan Mclauglin
carney
Donnacha McHugh
aidan orme
and hopefully sam callinan

Kinda show the gap between horans and the supporters thinking and horan has been proved right often enough now to get the benefit of the doubt

David McBrien
Hasta la victoria siempre

Never beat the deeler

Didn't want to derail the D1 thread, and not sure if anyone frequents this board at all, but just looking at the squad for the last (regular) league game

Quote1.Rory Byrne – Ruairi O Broin – Castlebar Mitchels

2. Lee Keegan – Laoi MacAogáin – Westport

3. David McBrien - Dáithí Mac Briain - Ballaghadereen

4. Padraig O'Hora – Pádraig O'hOra – Ballina Stephenites

5. Oisín Mullin - Oisín Ó'Maoláin - Kilmaine

6. Aidan O'Shea – Aodhán O'Se – Breaffy

7. Stephen Coen  © – Stiofáin O'Cadhain – Hollymount/Carramore

8. Jordan Flynn – Siuirtán Floinn – Crossmolina Deel Rovers

9. Matthew Ruane - Maitiú Ó Ruáin - Breaffy

10. Conor Loftus – Conchur O'Lachtnáin – Crossmolina Deel Rovers

11. Jack Carney - Sean O'Cearnaigh – Kilmeena

12. Fergal Boland - Fearghal Ó'Beolláin - Aghamore

13. Aiden Orme – Aodhán Orme – Knockmore

14. Jason Doherty - Séasáon Dochartaigh - Burrishoole

15. Ryan O'Donoghue – Riain O'Donnachadh - Beal a Mhuirthead

SUBS:

16. Colm Reape - Coilm O Reabaigh - Knockmore

17. Brendan Harrison - Breandan Ó Hearchaí - Aghamore

18. Paddy Durcan - Padraig Ó Durcáin - Castlebar Mitchels

19. Michael Plunkett – Micheal Pluinceid – Ballintubber

20. Rory Brickenden - Ruairí Brickenden - Westport

21. Enda Hession - Éanna Ó hOisín - Garrymore

22. Kevin McLoughlin - Caoimhín MacLochlainn - Knockmore

23. Conor O' Shea – Conchur O'Se – Breaffy

24. James Carr - Seamus Mac Giolla Cheara - Ardagh

25. Paul Towey – Pol Tuathaigh– Charlestown

26. Darren Coen - Darán Ó Cadhain - Hollymount Carramore

A few ramblings:
- I believe JH is looking to develop a horses for courses solution for defence. Because of our running game our fb line will always be asked to defend one on one in acres of space so matchups are critical

JH seems to be developing a kicking game, and looks like he may be accommodating more kick passers. Jordan Flynn has shown what he can do in this space and just needs to get a bit more consistent. Boland is one of our best passers and JH even tried him at wing back but I think 12 is where he should be. Conor Loftus similar, but I doubt we would see them both come championship time. Kev Mc in a similar role does well as an impact sub and it feels like he's being phased out. Could be totally off on this point, he prob doesn't need a lot of game time to be right.

Diarmuid needs to be at 11. We need to stop using him as a great selfless, do a job where needed player and start using him as a weapon. Especially as, with Tommy and Cillian out we are so much prone to getting shut down by shutting down RO'D

Is Doherty now an inside forward? He used to do his best work on the 40 but there doesn't seem to be a spot for him there.

Assuming Cillian out at least for Galway, will Orme start? I think he deserves a chance.

Not sure what the story is with both J Carr and D Coen on the panel? Both players that have a v high ceiling that we have seen glimpses of, but for different reasons have yet to gain any sort of consistency.
Hasta la victoria siempre

rosnarun

Ramblings

one thing is that with all the injuries Jh will have to compromise on hid picks. but almost all the suad have been blooded  now so there are real choices.
Horan is so unpredictable I would nt suprised if we saw new faces again against galway . I was delight to see Conor McStay named  in the League final Squad as he's a terrific player. But needs to show he has the strenght to play inter county .
Mark moran too is a player with that extra gear and needs to get game time else it'll be 2 years and almost no minutes,
after that stage you become bed stopper a la Drake and Crow at the end .
as for the forwards i think for now Towey has played his way off the team
Orme hugely promising but can't find his radar for Mayo . looks like a player that will click one day . maybe not this year though
and for the older trio 2 oconnors and DOC i just fear for them every time they fall or even stretch.
and the bravest of them Kevin Mcl is showing signs the end of the read is very near

with reservations  my team   for galway

R byrne
hession D Mcbrien Lee keegan
P durcan s coen   m plunket

J flynn matty ruane

Carney aido D'oc
Ro'd cillian james carr

Tommy Conroy :<

Tubberman

Quote from: rosnarun on April 08, 2022, 09:50:22 AM
Ramblings

one thing is that with all the injuries Jh will have to compromise on hid picks. but almost all the suad have been blooded  now so there are real choices.
Horan is so unpredictable I would nt suprised if we saw new faces again against galway . I was delight to see Conor McStay named  in the League final Squad as he's a terrific player. But needs to show he has the strenght to play inter county .
Mark moran too is a player with that extra gear and needs to get game time else it'll be 2 years and almost no minutes,
after that stage you become bed stopper a la Drake and Crow at the end .
as for the forwards i think for now Towey has played his way off the team
Orme hugely promising but can't find his radar for Mayo . looks like a player that will click one day . maybe not this year though
and for the older trio 2 oconnors and DOC i just fear for them every time they fall or even stretch.
and the bravest of them Kevin Mcl is showing signs the end of the read is very near

with reservations  my team   for galway

R byrne
hession D Mcbrien Lee keegan
P durcan s coen   m plunket

J flynn matty ruane

Carney aido D'oc
Ro'd cillian james carr

Tommy Conroy :<

Flynn will hardly be fit to play against Galway?
Also, Cillian looked a long way off the pace when he came on against Kerry, I'd say another appearance off the bench is as much as he's able for
"Our greatest glory is not in never falling, but in rising every time we fall."

Farrandeelin

Might Diarmuid O'Connor start at midfield against Galway if fit, or cross-with AOS between centre forward and centrefield. Personally I think Aiden's best days are behind him as a starter but given the injuries he probably will start against Galway.

Any word on Hennelly?
Inaugural Football Championship Prediction Winner.

rosnarun

any back story to Liam Mchale leaving .
will we see as a vounty manager some where , longfprd ? Donegal? or oust Andi