The Official UFC Thread

Started by RONAN, February 05, 2008, 11:01:27 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

laoislad

When you think you're fucked you're only about 40% fucked.

gallsman

Quote from: laoislad on August 21, 2016, 10:31:47 AM
I got up at half 5 to watch it and the fecking thing was over  ::)
Anywhere I can  watch it today?

You have sports mania, no? They have a great on demand section. Fights will always be in there a few hours after they finish.

laoislad

Quote from: gallsman on August 21, 2016, 11:53:43 AM
Quote from: laoislad on August 21, 2016, 10:31:47 AM
I got up at half 5 to watch it and the fecking thing was over  ::)
Anywhere I can  watch it today?

You have sports mania, no? They have a great on demand section. Fights will always be in there a few hours after they finish.
Yeah found it on the VOD section.

I know little to nothing about UFC and have only ever watched McGregor's fights before.
Could that have gone the other way last night? There didn't seem to be a clear winner in my mind anyway.
Just wondering  maybe McGregor was given it so that there would be a 3rd fight?
Like I said I know very little about the sport so maybe McGregor was a clear winner to those who understand the scoring.

gallsman

I don't think it could have been a Diaz win. At a stretch a draw. McGregor clearly won the first and fourth and Diaz the third. In all likelihood Diaz won the fifth due to pressure and the takedown at the end sealing it, so it all depends on the second.

In that round McGregor dominated for 3 and a half minutes and put him on his back twice before gassing a bit and Diaz was able to come back and put a lot of pressure on. McGregor was able to soak up the pressure and a lot of Diaz's shots were wild and blocked. So for me, I think it as "clear" a 3-2 as can be.

All three judges scored it 3-2, except one gave Diaz the third 10-8, which I disagree with. If you were to give him a 10-8 there you'd have to say McGregor deserved a 10-8 in the first.

Vast majority of media scored it 48-47, some called it a draw and I think I saw one giving it to Diaz. You really have to stretch for the draw but there's no way Diaz won.

screenexile

Thought the knockdowns were enough for McGregor to get it I thought.

Diaz and McGregor are both hard as f**king nails I wonder how long McGregor fought with a broken foot I couldn't see an obvious incident where it happened and he was hobbling. His cardio needs a lot of work he gassed put at least twice and was lucky enough to summon something up to keep fighting.

Very enjoyable scrap!

laoislad

Quote from: gallsman on August 21, 2016, 01:55:03 PM
I don't think it could have been a Diaz win. At a stretch a draw. McGregor clearly won the first and fourth and Diaz the third. In all likelihood Diaz won the fifth due to pressure and the takedown at the end sealing it, so it all depends on the second.

In that round McGregor dominated for 3 and a half minutes and put him on his back twice before gassing a bit and Diaz was able to come back and put a lot of pressure on. McGregor was able to soak up the pressure and a lot of Diaz's shots were wild and blocked. So for me, I think it as "clear" a 3-2 as can be.

All three judges scored it 3-2, except one gave Diaz the third 10-8, which I disagree with. If you were to give him a 10-8 there you'd have to say McGregor deserved a 10-8 in the first.

Vast majority of media scored it 48-47, some called it a draw and I think I saw one giving it to Diaz. You really have to stretch for the draw but there's no way Diaz won.
Fair enough.

Hound

I thought it was relatively easy to score

Rounds 1, 2, 4 to McGregor
Rounds 3, 5 to Diaz

Rounds 1 and 3 very convincing. The others tighter, but still daylight between them in each

gallsman

As I said, there only contentious one was the second. I thought it was McGregor's but could see why someone might call it a draw the way Diaz came back and had him in trouble.

Additionally, you could see why someone might give Diaz a 10-8 in the third. It's about points scored, not rounds won.

screenexile

Just looking at the judges scorecards there... what constitutes a 10-8 round? I thought McGregor's first round domination and knockdown merited a 10-8.

In the second round he dropped him twice but Diaz did well to have McGregor reeling coming to the end of it so I think the 10-9 was probably fair for it.

Just curious as to the scoring.

gallsman

It's actually undergoing a change in language at the moment. Knockdown is different from in boxing - it doesn't automatically score 10-8. When assessing whether a round should be 10-8 or not, judges are asked to look at dominance, duration and impact/damage. The knockdowns would influence the damage component of that, but Diaz was never really that hurt and was defending immediately. Same as for McGregor in the third - he was blocking and slipping enough shots that, while exhausted, he was never really rocked the way he was in the first fight.

The Iceman

202 was some card - not sure if you got a chance to watch all the fights but some great scraps and the UFC now has a lot of options and a lot of fighters futures to consider....

Larkin comes back in to contention and his contract is done...this man beat Robbie Lawler and could well do again... do you let him go or resign him on bigger money and push him?

Cerrone... 155 or 170? I agree with Uncle Dana and say keep him at 170 - we need some more excitement there.. and he has looked excellent at the weight.

McGregor and Diaz. What can I say? McGregor completely surprised me.  I didn't think he had it in him. I was delighted to see him winning but I genuinely thought Diaz would have been too much for him.  He followed the blue print a few of us called out before their first fight and he got the win in a spectacular war.  I've watched the fight 3 times now (once with Joe Rogan turned off) and it was definitely a fair result.  As was said 1 and 4 definitely McGregor, 3 and 5 definitely Diaz.  Two things - Diaz definitely did not score a 10-8 round in the 3rd - he was landing lots of shots but McGreogr was intelligently defending himself.  If the 3rd was a 10-8 then the 1st should be too...  Diaz was lucky to win the 5th - the take down and overall aggression won the round for him.  Now the contentious 2nd round....I couldn't give it to Diaz.  McGregor knocked him down, landed a lot of clean shots then tired in the last 90 seconds where Diaz was the aggressor.  Too little too late. 

Diaz' excuses after the fight were a surprise.  I don't think not being able to train BJJ for a few weeks made a difference. Diaz like most pure BJJ guys is not a wrestler. He struggles to take a fight to the ground but can finish you in a second when it goes there.  He has a trip and a hip throw and that body lock drag down he caught Conor with - but that's really it.  McGregor didn't show great takedown defense - he just fought someone who isn't great at takedowns.  Compare the takedowns of Chad Mendes to Diaz....
Diaz ate a bunch of body shots so I struggle to believe he had a bruised rib and McGregor couldn't hurt him... you can't hide a rib injury...

I'd love to see a 3rd fight.  Diaz of course wants it because he can't get millions for another fight...McGregor would be smart to take it and make some more coin...he's on some bank roll...

I will always keep myself mentally alert, physically strong and morally straight

Hound

I see they've announced the official purses for the fights:

Conor McGregor: $3 million (no win bonus)
def. Nate Diaz: $2 million

Anthony Johnson: $270,000 (includes $135,000 win bonus)
def. Glover Teixeira: $65,000

Donald Cerrone: $170,000 (includes $85,000 win bonus)
def. Rick Story: $41,000

Mike Perry: $20,000 (includes $10,000 win bonus)
def. Hyun Gyu Lim: $18,000

Tim Means: $62,000 (includes $31,000 win bonus)
def. Sabah Homasi: $12,000

Cody Garbrandt: $54,000 (includes $27,000 win bonus)
def. Takeya Mizugaki: $39,000

Raquel Pennington: $46,000 (includes $23,000 win bonus)
def. Elizabeth Phillips: $12,000

Artem Lobov: $26,000 (includes $13,000 win bonus)
def. Chris Avila: $10,000

Cortney Casey: $40,000 (includes $20,000 win bonus)
def. Randa Markos: $14,000

Lorenz Larkin: $78,000 (includes $39,000 win bonus)
def. Neil Magny: $47,000

Colby Covington: $42,000 (includes $21,000 win bonus)
def. Max Griffin: $10,000

Marvin Vettori: $20,000 (includes $10,000 win bonus)
def. Alberto Uda: $10,000

McGregor and Diaz also got $50k each "fight of the night" bonus.

They both would get Reebok sponsorship money too, estimated to be $250k each.

But the big kicker is the PPV share, which is estimated to be somewhere in the region of $10m each (with McGregor to get $1m more than Diaz).

In Diaz's last fight before the McGregor fights, he picked up $40k!

screenexile

Why does McGregor not get a win bonus??

Hound

Quote from: screenexile on August 22, 2016, 04:24:15 PM
Why does McGregor not get a win bonus??
It's a good thing for McGregor rather than a negative.
The deal was $3M for McGregor and $2M for Diaz guaranteed regardless of who wins.

gallsman

Because he's getting a guaranteed 3m! His 1m for the first fight was the biggest in history, then Brock juiced his way to 2.5m for 200 then McGregor topped it.

I agree with Iceman - great card from beginning to end. Far better than 200. Keep an eye on the bantamweight Cody Garbrandt. He's on an absolute tear and could be the man to stop Cruz