The Official UFC Thread

Started by RONAN, February 05, 2008, 11:01:27 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

GJL

Quote from: Gabriel_Hurl on August 17, 2016, 10:04:37 PM
A farce of a press conference between Diaz and McGregor earlier

Getting more like WWF all the time. Hard to take it seriously.

omagh_gael

That was embarrassing. Vince McMahon would've taken a redner at that shite.

on the sideline

Quote from: GJL on August 17, 2016, 10:05:56 PM
Quote from: Gabriel_Hurl on August 17, 2016, 10:04:37 PM
A farce of a press conference between Diaz and McGregor earlier

Getting more like WWF all the time. Hard to take it seriously.

The weigh in will be tasty now after that though. Looking forward to Saturday night!

gallsman

Embarrassing pantomime shite. Actually fancy McGregor in this one for once.

JimStynes

It's got everyone talking! Twitter going mad about it and exactly what they wanted!

The Iceman

Quote from: gallsman on August 17, 2016, 10:34:46 PM
Embarrassing pantomime shite. Actually fancy McGregor in this one for once.

definitely respect your opinion when it comes to MMA - why are going with CMG this time?
I will always keep myself mentally alert, physically strong and morally straight

gallsman

I don't really know. I don't buy into the "McGregor busted him up" for 8 minutes argument as Diaz has always been able to take five shots to land one and, like nick, his face is a mass of scar tissue that cuts easily. Diaz looks in the shape of his life, as does McGregor in fairness. McGregor has obviously paid a lot more attention to his ground hand but I think the fight will be 99% on the feet again and McGregor is definitely more skilled in that aspect. If his conditioning is where it needs to be at 170, I think he can simply outlast Diaz and win by stoppage due to sheer accumulation of strikes. Don't see a knockout gathering from anyone other than Diaz. Just too big and McGregor has to ration his energy a lot more this time.

McGregor win, hell try for fight against Aldo and struggle to make weight, give up 145 belt and go to 155 against Khabib will be champion by then. Then get suplexed into next week.

The Iceman

Quote from: gallsman on August 18, 2016, 12:13:40 AM
I don't really know. I don't buy into the "McGregor chatted him up" for 8 minutes argument as Diaz has always been able to take five shots to land one and, like nick, his face is a mass of scar tissue that cuts easily. Diaz looks in the shape of his life, as does McGregor in fairness. McGregor has obviously paid a lot more attention to his ground hand but I think the fight will be 99% on the feet again and McGregor is definitely more skilled in that aspect. If his conditioning is where it needs to be at 170, I think he can simply outlast Diaz and win by stoppage due to sheer accumulation of strikes. Don't see a knockout gathering from anyone other than Diaz. Just too big and McGregor has to ration his energy a lot more this time.

McGregor win, hell try for fight against Aldo and struggle to make weight, give up 145 belt and go to 155 against Khabib will be champion by then. Then get suplexed into next week.
I hope you are right about the win.... I just don't see it happening. Diaz' boxing is phenomenal, he knows how to use his reach and i think he is in Mcgregor's head...he also has shown he has the power to rock McGreogr if not stop him on the feet.  Conor has some great kicks and he may well attack that lead leg and the gut but I think Diaz can take those all day and just fight through it.  I agree it won't go to the ground unless Conor is point scoring at the end of the round where Diaz doesn't have enough time to mount an attack from the bottom.

I see a TKO by Diaz in the 3rd.  He's going to talk and talk to Mcgregor and laugh at him and taunt him and McGregor will be like Clubber Lang throwing big bombs and getting tired.  Diaz will eat whatever CMG has to dish out then start popping him...

I said before I'm a fan of Mcgregor - I have his autograph on my bookshelf here in my office.  But this is a bad matchup for him and a loss is a failed experiment at 170.  He already has an exit, an escape route that Diaz talked about and I don't see the hunger when something like that is place....

I'm buying the PPV either way
I will always keep myself mentally alert, physically strong and morally straight

gallsman

He'll definitely have to use more kicks to keep Nate off him. He's experimented with oblique kicks before which would be useful as Nate is very heavy on the front foot.

Coming out and throwing bombs is the one thing I don't think he'll do. That's what gassed him in the first fight. He'll still be very active but will pick and choose his shots much more wisely. Speed is the one big accuracy he has.

gawa316

What's the opinion of the old school UFC fans of McGregor? Do they like the pantomime he brings with him cause it increases the popularity of the sport or is he a cancer on the sport that appears to be turning the pre fight stuff anyway into the WWE?

I am new to it but love his shit. Barely watched it before then. First fight I ever seen when I was in Chattanooga in 96 on the ulster project. Couldn't believe what I was seeing. Defo not an expert but watch what I can and will be heading out to a bar full of yanks to cheer him on. Remember going out for the Mendez fight only to find out he is from Hanford about 40 miles from where I live. Had no idea, so when Mendez was getting the better of him the place was going nuts, McGregor hits him a couple of sucks and it's done. Only me and 2 Mexican fellas celebrating the whole place!!

gallsman

Generally, he's liked because he's undeniably talented in the octagon and, for all his bluster, generally backs it up. Like most people though, able to see that he's a complete tit at times.

I reckon a lot of people are secretly hoping some good comes off the back of the recent friction between him and the powers that be. No fighter in UFC history has ever had more power than him (Lesnar close) so there's a hope that McGregor could spearhead a bit of a revolution in terms of fighter welfare. Don't see it happening myself though.

JoG2

Outside of McGregor I know diddly about UFC. I watched the last fight, and seeing the condition Diaz is in compared to the last outing, I'd fear he'll win again, albeit it might last longer. McGregor has won me over though, I'd really like to see him win.

ONeill

Hope I'm wrong but I can't see how McGregor can win it. People say he's the better boxer - but you saw in the previous fight how powerful Diaz was when he got through just before they went to ground. And if it does hit the floor there's only one winner too.

Maybe he can do an Ali and tire Diaz out. How has Diaz tended to lose his fights?
I wanna have my kicks before the whole shithouse goes up in flames.

gallsman

Quote from: ONeill on August 19, 2016, 10:31:10 AM
Hope I'm wrong but I can't see how McGregor can win it. People say he's the better boxer - but you saw in the previous fight how powerful Diaz was when he got through just before they went to ground. And if it does hit the floor there's only one winner too.

Maybe he can do an Ali and tire Diaz out. How has Diaz tended to lose his fights?

He's only been stopped once. Diaz's cardio is superb. Unlikely to tire. Hopefully McGregor has learned that it's not as easy to knock out bigger fighters with one punch and doesn't try and throw an absolute bomb of a left hand at every opportunity.

BennyHarp

Quote from: ONeill on August 19, 2016, 10:31:10 AM

Im no expert in UFC, but based on the last fight, it's more likely that McGregor will be the one to tire first.
That was never a square ball!!