Started by RONAN, February 05, 2008, 11:01:27 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

GJL

Fair play to iceman. Called it well.

fearsiuil

Quote from: GJL on March 06, 2016, 02:12:07 PM
+1
Did someone post that Diaz could be got pre fight at 3/1? Didn't take it as no idea about this MMA.

screenexile

Quote from: fearsiuil on March 06, 2016, 04:38:46 PM
+1
Did someone post that Diaz could be got pre fight at 3/1? Didn't take it as no idea about this MMA.

Yip PP had him at that. I thought McGregor would win but Diaz definitely not 3/1.

McGregors next move will be interesting... Will he still be able to do all the trash talking?? Surely his street cred is blown with this loss!!

Maybe he'll go away and learn to put his hands up rather than concentrating on movement so much!

INDIANA

Its a serious kick in the bollox for Mc Gregor.

Diaz had practically no preparation for this fight. If Mc Gregor lost against a Diaz backed full camp then you'd say fair enough.

Diaz is a an average  MMA fighter. He's had more defeats then anyone who could be deemed to be a top fighter.

Dos Anjos will knock him out

This was a PR disaster for Mc Gregor  make no mistake about it.

He now has to slum it back in the featherweight division for one more fight at least and wait. I doubt very much he'll get a tilt at Dos Anjos before he fights either Cerrone or Pettis first. He'll hammer anyone in the featherweight division but all lightweights will fancy their chances now. lightweight is by far the most competitive weight class in the MMA.

He's at least 12 months away from a lightweight title shot and probably longer really.

Don't be fooled that Diaz is some brilliant MMA fighter. He's not- he's average on his best day. Mc Gregor never hurt him really - Diaz rocked Mc Gregor a couple of times.

I've nothing against Mc Gregor- trash talking is part of the fight game and always has been. Problem is when you take it it extremes you need to win.

Hound

+1
I know Diaz was 18/1 to win in R1, because I had a tenner on it!
I think he was more than 20/1 to win in R2

I don't think this is as big a setback for McGregor as some are making out. The next one is the big one, and he'll still be a star attraction at UFC200. If he wins that he'll be back on track and Diaz will be put well behind him.

gallsman

Quote from: Hound on March 07, 2016, 08:11:27 AM
+1
I know Diaz was 18/1 to win in R1, because I had a tenner on it!
I think he was more than 20/1 to win in R2

I don't think this is as big a setback for McGregor as some are making out. The next one is the big one, and he'll still be a star attraction at UFC200. If he wins that he'll be back on track and Diaz will be put well behind him.

Not so much. I'd put plenty of money on idea that if McGregor has KOd him, they'd skip dos Anjos and the LW belt altogether (for now) and give him Lawler at UFC 200. If this was the case, you could pretty much be certain that he wouldn't be seen at 145 again.

Now he has to go back to 145 (facing a cut he admits is tough, after having packed on a few lbs of muscle and Kavanagh is on record as saying he doesn't want him doing again) and face Edgar or Aldo. Either of them will give him a tough fight (like Saturday, especially if they get him on the ground). If he wins, assuming he still wants LW belt, he'll have to wait his turn and probably take a few contender fights against the likes of Pettis, Cerrone or Alvarez before getting a title shot. The WW dream is over. Lawler actually laughs in title fights when big welters hit him flush on the chin. He would walk through McGregor's best much more easily than Diaz did.

He's still FW champion and has plenty going for him, but make no mistake, Saturday is a huge setback. Most importantly, it likely somewhat diminishes how much he can bully Dana and the Fertittas.

The Gs Man

Bit of talk earlier about him tapping out whilst Holm didn't.

Is it not the case that because he tapped out he can fight again quicker whereas Holm will have to wait out an injury period?

Sensible approach.

Anyways, as a wise man once said, "you can't grow muscles on your chin".
Keep 'er lit

gallsman

Quote from: The Gs Man on March 07, 2016, 09:34:53 AM

Is it not the case that because he tapped out he can fight again quicker whereas Holm will have to wait out an injury period?

Sensible approach.

I wouldn't pay too much attention to the tapping/not tapping thing and I certainly wouldn't hold it against McGregor that he did. In saying that however, I very much doubt it was a conscious decision to allow him to avoid a medical suspension. He was getting the life choked out of him - consciously thinking about anything other than how or where to draw your next breath would be madness. Even with Holm's refusal to tap, I'm not so sure she wasn't trying to. Those little air punches right before she passed out were very strange to watch.

nrico2006

What weight would McGregor and Diaz have been coming in at on the night?
'To the extreme I rock a mic like a vandal, light up a stage and wax a chump like a candle.'

gallsman

Quote from: nrico2006 on March 07, 2016, 10:08:12 AM

I'd say McGregor not too far above the 168 he weighed in at, maybe put a pound or two on. Dunno about Diaz.

laceer

Very exciting and brutal fight. McGregor had Diaz badly opened up from early on - he was catching him regularly but where a smaller man might have gone down to those shots, Diaz brushed them off. When McGregor tried to take him to the ground you just knew he was gone. Looking forward to seeing his next move, and whether he calms down on the trash talking.

The Gs Man

Quote from: gallsman on March 07, 2016, 10:07:01 AM
Quote from: The Gs Man on March 07, 2016, 09:34:53 AM

Sensible approach.

I wouldn't pay too much attention to the tapping/not tapping thing and I certainly wouldn't hold it against McGregor that he did. In saying that however, I very much doubt it was a conscious decision to allow him to avoid a medical suspension. He was getting the life choked out of him - consciously thinking about anything other than how or where to draw your next breath would be madness. Even with Holm's refusal to tap, I'm not so sure she wasn't trying to. Those little air punches right before she passed out were very strange to watch.

Yeah, I definitely think Holm was trying to tap out too.  Was hard to watch for a minute or so until you seen her getting back on her feet.  Tate even looked worried.
Keep 'er lit

gallsman

Quote from: laceer on March 07, 2016, 10:15:09 AM
Very exciting and brutal fight. McGregor had Diaz badly opened up from early on - he was catching him regularly but where a smaller man might have gone down to those shots, Diaz brushed them off. When McGregor tried to take him to the ground you just knew he was gone. Looking forward to seeing his next move, and whether he calms down on the trash talking.

Yeah, that was just sheer desperation as he realised he couldn't make it to the end of the round without taking another big shot. It was almost laughable how easily Diaz stuffed the attempt and once McGregor was on the mat it was over.

What was infuriating for me was that McGregor obviously got rocked with about two and half mins to go and managed to recover somewhat. They clinched against the cage and traded a few knees but McGregor seemed to have recovered and on the break got some lovely combos in. After this, rather than heeding the warning of the shot he took, he continued keeping his hands low and Diaz got another big shot in, which effectively ended the fight.

nrico2006

Quote from: gallsman on March 07, 2016, 10:11:28 AM

I'd say McGregor not too far above the 168 he weighed in at, maybe put a pound or two on. Dunno about Diaz.

I was thinking McGregor wouldn't be too much higher than 170 but was wondering if Diaz was as heavy as 180.

'To the extreme I rock a mic like a vandal, light up a stage and wax a chump like a candle.'

gallsman

Quote from: nrico2006 on March 07, 2016, 10:35:55 AM
Quote from: gallsman on March 07, 2016, 10:11:28 AM

I was thinking McGregor wouldn't be too much higher than 170 but was wondering if Diaz was as heavy as 180.

He's a big lightweight but not a huge welter. Didn't look too dehydrated at weigh in and think he came in at 169? Would be strange to lose the extra pound if struggling to make weight. Heavier than McGregor certainly but I don't think he'd have been as high as 180.

Weight is an interesting point, because McGregor looked banjaxed even before he got hit. He talked about energy efficiency at press conference but missing punches and kicks is part and parcel of fighting. He shouldn't have gassed so quickly, so the decision to go all the way to 170 when it want necessary looks even more foolish.