The Official UFC Thread

Started by RONAN, February 05, 2008, 11:01:27 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

AZOffaly

I know feck all about UFC or MMA, but I don't think Aldo was shitting himself. If anything he allowed McGregor to annoy him so much that he lunged in and a very clever counter punch absolutely nailed him.

In fact I'm not so sure that that fight would be any indicator to a rematch either. Aldo would surely be cleverer than to try that again.

gallsman

This fight could end up exposing some of the issues with the UFC as a promotion. Superstars like Anderson Silva, Cain Velasquez and Rousey get immediate rematches having been the victims of just as one sided or spectacular defeats as Aldo's (albeit significantly longer ones). Holly Holm has effectively been told that despite producing the most momentous result in UFC history (until yesterday perhaps) that she will wait until Ronda is good and ready before she can defend her belt again. Aldo has never been a huge pay per view draw and has never been a favourite, but considering his stature, you'd think he'd be entitled to the rematch. A fight at 145 with Edgar or a lightweight fight (they'll be praying Cerrone wins next week) will be bigger money for Dana and the Fertittas, so those will be the fights that are made.

On the "Aldo being afraid" bit - I assume people are inferring this because he looked at the ground and didn't raise is head during the intros. As I said earlier, it's something he's always done. His way of getting in the zone so to speak.

Club Rossa

Thought Herb Dean should have stopped Weidman's fight in the 3rd round.The man took a hell of a lot of punishment in the final minute and I couldn't believe he didn't intervene.

gallsman

Quote from: Club Rossa on December 14, 2015, 02:24:18 PM
Thought Herb Dean should have stopped Weidman's fight in the 3rd round.The man took a hell of a lot of punishment in the final minute and I couldn't believe he didn't intervene.

Aye, that was scandalous. Weidman was done. He was covering his face so in theory defending himseld but for about 70 seconds he just got smashed by forearms, elbows and fists. By the time Rockhold had him again in the fourth I thought he was starting to pull the punches a bit to avoid doing any more damage until Dean stopped it.

Some big MMA media boys like Rogan going very easy on Dean I feel. He deserves plenty of criticisim for it.

Hound

Quote from: gallsman on December 14, 2015, 01:47:09 PM
1) In your opinion. I find his defensive skills and movement and ability to make fighters miss absolutely mesmerising.
2) Did you enjoy the Nelson-Maia fight? There wasn't much action in it.
3) It's what you define as entertainment that matters. If you get your kicks from the blood and guts going everywhere rather than the skill, technique and craftsmanship that leads to it, then there's something wrong with you and I would suggest you're more interested than the spectacle than the sport.

No, I'm not a fan. I have had a passing interest in it for years but don't really enjoy the wrestling and grappling side of things all that much. Also, I despise the pricks who in one breath talk about the explosion of MMA and how great McGregor and Rousey are for it and then in the next criticise "bandwagon fans" who are driving all the new hype. What I can't abide however is people who profess to be fans of the sport and could barely name you anyone beyond McGregor and whatever opponent he's facing at the time, many of whom appear to exist here in Ireland these days. For example, the absolute gang of walts who turned up at the Convention Centre press conference to abuse Aldo (a p4p king and ten year undefeated, undisputed champion) as a pussy etc. Or the "the new UFC featherweight of the championship" lad from the same event.
Jeez, I thought the Nelson-Maia fight was action packed.
From a viewing point of view it was greatly enhanced by the commentary. "Gunnar needs to do X to get out of this hold". Which Gunnar would then try and do, but everytime Maia had a countermove. Maia was very impressive.

I haven't been a big follower of UFC, I used to be a big follower of boxing. I watched every fight on the card on Saturday and the really refreshing thing was that pretty much every fighter there thought they could win. Which is so so different to a boxing card where mismatches are far more common than pick'ems.

QuoteThought Herb Dean should have stopped Weidman's fight in the 3rd round.The man took a hell of a lot of punishment in the final minute and I couldn't believe he didn't intervene.
You could see in the ref's face after the round that he knew he made a mistake. He stopped it as soon as Weidman got into trouble in the 4th. In the 3rd the ref was trying to give the champion the benefit. Knew the round was nearly up. But 10 seconds is a helluva long time when you are in Weidman's position and I'd bet the ref regrets it now.

The ref in the McGregor fight was very sharp. He was waving it off before Aldo hit the deck, although not fast enough to stop McGregor getting in a couple of extra digs. Funny thing in that one is that if it was under boxing rules, Aldo probably would have survived a 10 count. But you'd imagine it wouldnt have been long before he would have been decked again.

JoG2

surely they'll give a man of Aldo's standing a rematch?

HiMucker

The rule is you must be able to "intelligently defend yourself"
Terrible refereeing

gallsman

Quote from: JoG2 on December 14, 2015, 02:53:45 PM

The two options they've outlined are a defence against Edgar or move up to 155 for an immediate title shot against next week's winner. Harsh on Aldo.

screenexile

Quote from: gallsman on December 14, 2015, 03:02:18 PM
Quote from: JoG2 on December 14, 2015, 02:53:45 PM

The two options they've outlined are a defence against Edgar or move up to 155 for an immediate title shot against next week's winner. Harsh on Aldo.

McGregor says he told Aldo they could go again and I think they will. At the end of the day the Champ was floored by a sucker punch. If they fight 50 times that happens once (McGregor admitted he expected it to take a bit longer) and I think the Public would be well up for a rematch as they know it should be much tighter than it was the other evening.

Either it's a rematch or he moves up a division! I definitely expect McGregor and Aldo to fight again but it might not be next year!

stew

Quote from: gallsman on December 14, 2015, 01:48:11 PM
Quote from: stew on December 14, 2015, 01:08:31 PM
Quote from: omaghjoe on December 14, 2015, 04:59:11 AM
Quote from: trileacman on December 14, 2015, 12:38:37 AM
I really dislike the trash-talk and to be honest I'm looking forward to his inevitable defeat down the line. He mightn't be so fond of seeing a microphone shoved in his face after that.

I don't see his attitude as new or refreshing, Ali started it years ago and now it seems to be the done thing for combat sports. It doesn't entertain me either, if it did I probably wouldn't even watch UFC I'd watch videos of tinkers calling each other out on Youtube. Winding people up/Being a w@nk shouldn't be part and parcel of being a respected sportsman, inevitably some gowl takes it too far like Tyson Fury and everyone just shrugs their shoulders because top boxers are expected to be controversial. The views guys like Fury espouse aren't okay.

Muppet I don't think it's something you want to see in GAA, we already have a mouthy WUM up on centre stage and he's far from a national treasure in the county of Mayo. Next time you Mayo boys take offence to Brolly calling you chokers or cheats I'll remind you of love for the braggadocio.

George Hook was right, pre-match interview are a waste of everyone's time. Supporters, interviewers, interviewees. Unless you know you're gonna get something different from the norm don't bother your hole. Journalists have column inches to fill though and pre-match interviews make acceptable manure filler.

Spot on, I don't understand why people think they need to hear trash talk to make a sport interesting. Whats the difference between using slabbering as a promotional tool and sledging? This is actually worse than sledging in IMO. Sledging is used to gain a competitive advantage, this carry on is used to generate money, which IMO is as vulgar and as distasteful as it gets.

Boxing has allowed it to be used as a promotional tool for a long time now in an attempt to try and stem the tide of its gradual 80 year demise. And while it gives small boosts to some fighters it has not stopped the overall decline in interest. I think because team sports have a legacy and tradition it is more adept at fulfilling the tribalism wants that many sports fan are yearning for. Anyway the result  for boxing has been to turn its image into a crude corrupt pantomime, even tho inside the ropes is still overall, more or less, as good as it has always has.

Do you lot really think that he does it for any other reasons than money and getting inside the head of his opponent? It is not personal, acting the arse wipe make him more marketable, expecially when he backs up everything he say's, and as for the second part, Aldo's wife was saying he is crazy and he agreed, tell me Aldo wasnt shitting himself the other night!

Aldo wasn't shitting himself the other night.

He lasted 13 seconds ffs, he is the MMA version of Leon Spinks which is sad because he was a tremendous champion, he was never ready to fight McGregor, never wanted to fight McGregor because McGregor got to him between the ears! His wife coming out and flapping her gums was music to McGregors ears.
Armagh, the one true love of a mans life.

AZOffaly

Why do you think lasting 13 seconds has anything to do with whether he was afraid or not? He lost his cool and lunged at McGregor, because McGregor got in his head. If he was afraid he'd have tried to dance and get into some sort of clinch hold, or keep his distance and kick. The fact he dived in like a lunatic looked like he was over eager, and McGregor took advantage. At least that's how it looked to me, but I've no clue of this MMA stuff.

muppet

Quote from: AZOffaly on December 14, 2015, 03:58:10 PM
Why do you think lasting 13 seconds has anything to do with whether he was afraid or not? He lost his cool and lunged at McGregor, because McGregor got in his head. If he was afraid he'd have tried to dance and get into some sort of clinch hold, or keep his distance and kick. The fact he dived in like a lunatic looked like he was over eager, and McGregor took advantage. At least that's how it looked to me, but I've no clue of this MMA stuff.

I have looked at the fight a few times, yes all 13 seconds of it, and Aldo connected with a decent punch, despite the handicap of being knocked out while throwing it. It is not too big a leap to suggest that Conor was wide open and if his own punch hadn't done the damage it did, things could have been very different. All of that happened in a split second.

Fine margins etc.

I don't know anything about Aldo. This could have a terrible effect on him, or he could be the type to come back and set the record straight.

MWWSI 2017

AZOffaly

He looked off balance throwing it though. I'm not sure it would have had enough power to do damage. McGregor was expecting it and unloaded a counter perfectly. I think Aldo's punch landed before McGregor's, so I don't think he was knocked out when it landed.

Edit - Looked at it again, you're right. It was the right hand that McGregor countered. Aldo's left was going to land heavy if McGregor didn't spark him out.

muppet

Quote from: AZOffaly on December 14, 2015, 04:30:57 PM
He looked off balance throwing it though. I'm not sure it would have had enough power to do damage. McGregor was expecting it and unloaded a counter perfectly. I think Aldo's punch landed before McGregor's, so I don't think he was knocked out when it landed.

Edit - Looked at it again, you're right. It was the right hand that McGregor countered. Aldo's left was going to land heavy if McGregor didn't spark him out.

https://youtu.be/LTit9mg_XOc

It looked a decent punch even though he had already been hit with a knockout punch. If McGregor was slightly later, they could have both been knocked out! Apparently the rule for that is, the first man to stand up wins.
MWWSI 2017

laoislad

Quote from: muppet on December 14, 2015, 04:35:30 PM
Quote from: AZOffaly on December 14, 2015, 04:30:57 PM

https://youtu.be/LTit9mg_XOc

It looked a decent punch even though he had already been hit with a knockout punch. If McGregor was slightly later, they could have both been knocked out! Apparently the rule for that is, the first man to stand up wins.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LEGY_fLBCsQ
When you think you're fucked you're only about 40% fucked.