The Official UFC Thread

Started by RONAN, February 05, 2008, 11:01:27 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

gallsman

Quote from: Never beat the deeler on July 12, 2015, 05:26:23 PM
Quote from: bridgegael on July 12, 2015, 05:19:03 PM
would he fill croke park??

He'd get enough people to fill it 5 times.... the residents wouldnt want that though

I think that's bullshit. He'd sell it out, but 410,000 people here want to go and see him? Rubbish.

laceer

Fair play to McGregor. Backing up his talk with performances. I thought he'd put on a lot more muscle since his last fight so would struggle to make weight. Seemed really gaunt and unhealthy looking even after the weigh in-would love to know how much weight he actually cut. Dealt with Mendes' take downs during the fight and finished him with a sweet left. Cocky in prediction, confident in preparation, humble in victory or defeat. Not the typical Irish sportsman's approach but shows great pride in being Irish. Looking forward to seeing him progress.

Wildweasel74

Think all his mouthing puts the Irish in a bad light, sooner hes beat the better, cant stand him. This lets all jump on the Irish bandwagon pure crap, hes got no class!

trileacman

Quote from: Wildweasel74 on July 13, 2015, 12:47:42 AM
Think all his mouthing puts the Irish in a bad light, sooner hes beat the better, cant stand him. This lets all jump on the Irish bandwagon pure crap, hes got no class!

A p***k, I have no time for him. Can't understand the mentality that deems Rory McIlroy's smugness to be distasteful but McGregor's arrogance and hardman play acting to be acceptable.
Fantasy Rugby World Cup Champion 2011,
Fantasy 6 Nations Champion 2014

Syferus

Quote from: trileacman on July 13, 2015, 12:53:13 AM

A p***k, I have no time for him. Can't understand the mentality that deems Rory McIlroy's smugness to be distasteful but McGregor's arrogance and hardman play acting to be acceptable.

I don't defend the Rory haters but it might have something to do with one of them hitting golf balls and the other hitting bad motherfûckers! Different rules apply to the fight game. It's part theater. The best of all-time understand and embrace that.

The Iceman

Quote from: gallsman on July 12, 2015, 09:41:02 AM
Iceman or Gab or someone who really understands this - was McGregor playing possum the whole time on the ground, happy to take the shots, while waiting for Mendes to transition to a hold knowing that was his chance to escape? Also, when Mendes went for it, he had him by the neck for the choke, he looked to have it locked in. When he went to wrap the legs was it poor execution or was it skill by McGregor to escape?

I don't like him but that was great to watch and he took a fair hammering and came out the far side. Still think Dean should have left it the three seconds!
McGregor was in serious trouble on his back Gallsman. He said in the press conference he was hitting him from the bottom, stalling Mendes and being efficient but he had nothing to offer other than that. McGregor got up because Mendes made a mistake and went for a submission, McGregor is a bigger man and exploded up in the scramble and got back to his feet. He was losing the fight by both rounds at that point. You really need to have the choke secured and be in at least half guard transitioning to full guard to land it properly. Mendes smaller frame hurt him, hard to wrap short legs around anyone.  I still think Mendes beats him with a full training camp but fair play to CMG - he was amazing in the standup, despite his obvious physical deterioration (he looked dreadful from the weight cut)....

A fantastic main card. Robbie Lawler is a warrior and Mcdonald won me over for his gutsy performance. Robbie has brutally hurt him now in two fights - I don't know if McDonald can ever be the same after that.

Some crazy flying knee finishes by Jeremy Stephens and Thomas Almeida  - both worth a look.

Also on the prelims check out Matt Brown versus Tim Means  - too tight tight men
I will always keep myself mentally alert, physically strong and morally straight

Premier Emperor

Quote from: Never beat the deeler on July 12, 2015, 05:26:23 PM
Quote from: bridgegael on July 12, 2015, 05:19:03 PM
would he fill croke park??

He'd get enough people to fill it 5 times.... the residents wouldnt want that though
The residents around Croke Park would have no problem with Sheamus McGregor. He draws a lot of his following from that area.

finbar o tool

Quote from: Syferus on July 13, 2015, 02:22:50 AM

I don't defend the Rody haters but it might have something to do with one of them hitting golf balls and the other hitting bad motherfûckers! Different rules apply to the fight game. It's part theater. The best of all-time understand and embrace that.

agree Syferus. boxers do it too, but boxing has become boring now, very little good fights anymore. thats part of the reason UFC has become so popular. Muhammad Ali was the biggest mouth piece ever when he started out, the Louisville Lip! everyone thought he was crazy and couldn't wait til he was beat! now im not comparing the 2 men, but they are similar in that sense.

how do people not see that its a show, to generate interest, which generates money!! the Americans all take him seriously too, you have to take his talk with a pinch of salt! he is a very intelligent man and he is reaping the rewards!
taking Aldos belt in Dublin was a little bit much, but, it went viral around the world, it was attention, it added to the hype!
if i was McGregor i would stay doing exactly as im doing! he is Dana Whites money machine!
he is, and i quote, "the new face of the UFC" !

oh and he would sell out Croke Park no problem!

An amateur requires a personal commitment that money cannot buy

Sidney

Quote from: JimStynes on July 12, 2015, 05:11:26 PM
Does McGregor call the shots now or does he have to fight Aldo? Anymore reports on why Aldo pulled out? I've read a few rumours about him using fake X-ray scans, chasing drug testers away etc.
I thought UFC doesn't have drug testing, though? I thought that was the point, that it's not regulated and thus they have carte blanche to juice up on whatever they want?

omagh_gael

As far as I am aware they do, one of the biggest names no longer competes due to testosterone enhancements, Chel Sonnen.

Gabriel_Hurl

Quote from: Sidney on July 13, 2015, 10:52:54 AM
Does McGregor call the shots now or does he have to fight Aldo? Anymore reports on why Aldo pulled out? I've read a few rumours about him using fake X-ray scans, chasing drug testers away etc.
I thought UFC doesn't have drug testing, though? I thought that was the point, that it's not regulated and thus they have carte blanche to juice up on whatever they want?

you couldn't be more wrong even if you tried

gallsman

Quote from: Gabriel_Hurl on July 13, 2015, 11:29:41 AM
Quote from: Sidney on July 13, 2015, 10:52:54 AM

you couldn't be more wrong even if you tried

At the same time, let's not ignore fact that even with its progress recently, UFC and the wider world of mma has a long way to go on this front.

AZOffaly

Just had a look at the fight there. Wouldn't be my thing at all. A lad hammering elbows into another lads eye socket is something you'd expect outside the Bullring in Tralee, or at 4am outside a nightclub, not something I would class as sport, but sure everyone to their own.

McGregor I dislike his public persona a lot. I don't like that sort of self aggrandising approach, but I realise why he does it and I'm willing to believe he's not like that in real life. However, whatever about his posturing and nonsense talking, he's a brave little divil. That was a lot of punishment he took, and he stood up well. He actually looks like he could be a decent boxer too, that's a big left hand he has there.

Best part for me though was Sinead O'Connor singing the Foggy Dew. Talk about hair raising. (no pun intended Sinead!).

I'm glad everyone had a good time, and I'm glad he won, but I won't be mad to watch his next fight either. In contrast i'll probably buy a ticket for Andy Lee in Thomond Park.

laoislad

I'd love to see McGregor get Mcilroy into the ring or hexagon or what ever the feck it's called for a few rounds.
When you think you're fucked you're only about 40% fucked.