The Official UFC Thread

Started by RONAN, February 05, 2008, 11:01:27 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

gallsman

Quote from: nrico2006 on July 03, 2015, 09:09:30 AM
Quote from: gallsman on July 03, 2015, 09:01:22 AM
Quote from: DennistheMenace on July 03, 2015, 08:43:39 AM
Quote from: gallsman on July 03, 2015, 08:39:05 AM
I think that's part of it, but KT is a five time world champion and an Olympic champion to boot. McGregor has been handpicked by Dana and parachuted into a title fight before his turn, yet acts as if he's already the champion. Nothing wing with a wee bit of humility.

And the otherside of the coin is women's boxing is poor and it would be much easier to get to the top of your weight class than the top of the UFC weight class. In my opinion of course. Again nothing wrong with humility but it doesn't sell.

It's all relative. You say women's boxing is poor, but KT is at the very top of it and had worked her arse off just as much and possibly more than McGregor to get to where she is in her sport. She had earned the respect she doesn't demand. McGregor demands respect and recognition that he has not yet earned. Like yourself, that's also just my opinion.

There's plenty of shite MMA too by the way. Much of it UFC.

KT is only at the top of amateur boxing.

What, precisely, is your point? You say "only" at the top. Makes her life's work redundant, does it? Henry Shefflin, the Gooch, Bernard Brogan etc are all "only" amateurs too I take it, despite being amongst the country's finest sportsmen?

nrico2006

Quote from: gallsman on July 03, 2015, 09:26:10 AM
Quote from: nrico2006 on July 03, 2015, 09:09:30 AM
Quote from: gallsman on July 03, 2015, 09:01:22 AM
Quote from: DennistheMenace on July 03, 2015, 08:43:39 AM
Quote from: gallsman on July 03, 2015, 08:39:05 AM
I think that's part of it, but KT is a five time world champion and an Olympic champion to boot. McGregor has been handpicked by Dana and parachuted into a title fight before his turn, yet acts as if he's already the champion. Nothing wing with a wee bit of humility.

And the otherside of the coin is women's boxing is poor and it would be much easier to get to the top of your weight class than the top of the UFC weight class. In my opinion of course. Again nothing wrong with humility but it doesn't sell.

It's all relative. You say women's boxing is poor, but KT is at the very top of it and had worked her arse off just as much and possibly more than McGregor to get to where she is in her sport. She had earned the respect she doesn't demand. McGregor demands respect and recognition that he has not yet earned. Like yourself, that's also just my opinion.

There's plenty of shite MMA too by the way. Much of it UFC.

KT is only at the top of amateur boxing.

What, precisely, is your point? You say "only" at the top. Makes her life's work redundant, does it? Henry Shefflin, the Gooch, Bernard Brogan etc are all "only" amateurs too I take it, despite being amongst the country's finest sportsmen?

Taylor is at the top of a section of her sport.  Shefflin, Gooch and Brogan are/were at the top of their sports full stop. 
'To the extreme I rock a mic like a vandal, light up a stage and wax a chump like a candle.'

gallsman

Taylor's sport is amateur boxing. How much do you actually know about women's professional boxing?

nrico2006

Quote from: gallsman on July 03, 2015, 10:31:05 AM
Taylor's sport is amateur boxing. How much do you actually know about women's professional boxing?

Very little, but I would imagine its a cut above amateur boxing.
'To the extreme I rock a mic like a vandal, light up a stage and wax a chump like a candle.'

gallsman

Quote from: nrico2006 on July 03, 2015, 10:40:54 AM

I'm the same, and I think that would be a very brave assumption - even in the men's game, some amateurs are simply *that* good. Look at Lomachenko as an example.

Anyway, back on track. I think McGregor's a c**k and he should distance himself from the morons who turned up at the press conference in the convention centre but all the best to him.

DennistheMenace

Quote from: gallsman on July 03, 2015, 11:02:21 AM
Quote from: nrico2006 on July 03, 2015, 10:40:54 AM

I'm the same, and I think that would be a very brave assumption.

Ironically turning professional would be largely fruitless for the vast majority of women boxers. Contrast that to the UFC were Ronda Rousey, Meisha Tate and the likes are up there with the most recognisable faces in any women's sport. How Katie was a big reason why Women's boxing was accepted into the Olympics and definitely changed the perception of the sport but would she gain much from turning pro? Absolutely not in my view.

DennistheMenace

Are many going to watch McGregor Mendes? Be interesting to see viewing figures.

DuffleKing

Is McGregor struggling with the weight?  He looks very gaunt and drained over the last week

screenexile

What time do we reckon McGregor will be on tonight lads?? Planning on getting up for it rather than staying up!

Tony Baloney

Quote from: screenexile on July 11, 2015, 10:48:21 PM
What time do we reckon McGregor will be on tonight lads?? Planning on getting up for it rather than staying up!
Have heard from 4am onwards.

Gmac

Quote from: DuffleKing on July 11, 2015, 10:46:29 AM

Is McGregor struggling with the weight?  He looks very gaunt and drained over the last week
I thought the same he looked brutal , very thin in his face

gallsman

Quote from: Gmac on July 11, 2015, 11:48:32 PM
Quote from: DuffleKing on July 11, 2015, 10:46:29 AM

I thought the same he looked brutal , very thin in his face

He's looked bad at the weigh in the last couple of fights. The cut to 145 must be awful for him. Don't think there's any hope of them letting him go to LW for a while so looks like he'll have to keep it up.

Tony Baloney

The Irish support in LV is something else so Dana White is gonna milk this cash cow till the tit is dry.

Gmac

Quote from: Tony Baloney on July 12, 2015, 12:35:13 AM
The Irish support in LV is something else so Dana White is gonna milk this cash cow till the tit is dry.
Thousand of Irish from the cities in the states there as well as the ones who travelled from home.
On another note Irish fans need a new song or anthem other than the ole ole ole getting old that one.

gawa316

Quote from: Gmac on July 12, 2015, 12:46:13 AM
Quote from: Tony Baloney on July 12, 2015, 12:35:13 AM
Thousand of Irish from the cities in the states there as well as the ones who travelled from home.
On another note Irish fans need a new song or anthem other than the ole ole ole getting old that one.

I think it's class and so quickly recognizable and that's coming from a nordie prod.

Sitting in a bar in Fresno, 40 odd miles from where Mendes is from. Outnumbered to say the least!