Previous topic - Next topic

square_ball

Quote from: Milltown Row2 on September 14, 2023, 10:34:44 AM
Quote from: square_ball on September 14, 2023, 10:31:01 AM
Quote from: Milltown Row2 on September 14, 2023, 08:41:30 AM
Quote from: Taylor on September 14, 2023, 08:24:06 AM
Quote from: InnocentByStander on September 13, 2023, 12:13:48 PM
Quote from: ClubScene13 on September 13, 2023, 11:46:41 AM
Errigal Ciaran gave Glen a good rattle last year, if they make it out of the Tyrone minefield they would be hard put away. Few key injuries however.

I would also expect Burren to go well if they could overcome Kilcoo (obviously a massive initial hurdle). Is Murdock gonna play much more GAA this season?

I can't see how Glen aren't waiting in the Ulster final anyhow. Some team.

In intermediate, I think the two best teams will meet in the first round. Whoever the Tyrone champions are v St Pat's Cullyhanna

Clonoe, too good to be an Intermediate team wouldnt be shocked if they go the full way

Whoever beats Clonoe will win Ulster. They would give many senior teams a run for their money

Except senior teams in Tyrone?

Got to the semi final of the Tyrone championship last season.

Then relegated ?

Yes obviously as they are playing intermediate football this year.

But you said they couldn't beat senior teams in Tyrone and I was just pointing out they did last season.

InnocentByStander

Errigal Ciaran gave Glen a good rattle last year, if they make it out of the Tyrone minefield they would be hard put away. Few key injuries however.

I would also expect Burren to go well if they could overcome Kilcoo (obviously a massive initial hurdle). Is Murdock gonna play much more GAA this season?

In intermediate, I think the two best teams will meet in the first round. Whoever the Tyrone champions are v St Pat's Cullyhanna

Clonoe, too good to be an Intermediate team wouldnt be shocked if they go the full way

Whoever beats Clonoe will win Ulster. They would give many senior teams a run for their money

Then relegated ?

Yes relegated, unsure if the Tyrone system (but doubt it) is same as Antrim where you can choose where to play.

Senior semi final last year, finished 3rd last relegated and have walked the league this year.

InnocentByStander

Quote from: square_ball on September 14, 2023, 11:17:46 AM

Then relegated ?

Yes obviously as they are playing intermediate football this year.

But you said they couldn't beat senior teams in Tyrone and I was just pointing out they did last season.

Ahh SB give the man a break, we come from a county where the senior county champions can declare to play in Junior the following year.
So I'm assuming he was maybe thinking it was a similar system

WELCOME TO ANTRIM FOOTBALL 8)

square_ball

Can a senior club in Antrim decide to play in the Intermediate championship?

LeoMc

What Counties allow teams to pick which championship they play in?

InnocentByStander

Quote from: LeoMc on September 14, 2023, 12:01:47 PM
What Counties allow teams to pick which championship they play in?

Antrim...

Club declares at start of the year what championship they are going to play in.
Dunloy have reached the senior SF and we're relegated from Div2 but wouldn't be surprised if they play senior next year again while playing Div3 league

Milltown Row2

Quote from: Duine Inteacht Eile on September 14, 2023, 12:16:45 PM
I don't think it's as straight forward as any club just declaring where they are playing next year.
Not 100% sure on the rule but I think all Div 1 teams have to play senior. Div 2 teams can play up if they wish and there is space for them in senior championship.

Dunloy had to play senior this year because they won intermediate last year. Tyrone automatically promote a team like this to Div 1. Antrim don't.

Teams in Antrim can play a championship above them (league ) not below I'm fairly sure, think St Endas won promotion and played intermediate one year
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

InnocentByStander

Quote from: Milltown Row2 on September 14, 2023, 12:46:25 PM
I don't think it's as straight forward as any club just declaring where they are playing next year.
Not 100% sure on the rule but I think all Div 1 teams have to play senior. Div 2 teams can play up if they wish and there is space for them in senior championship.

Dunloy had to play senior this year because they won intermediate last year. Tyrone automatically promote a team like this to Div 1. Antrim don't.

Teams in Antrim can play a championship above them (league ) not below I'm fairly sure, think St Endas won promotion and played intermediate one year

St Endas, won IFC 2018 playing in Div 1?

Milltown Row2

Quote from: InnocentByStander on September 14, 2023, 01:08:50 PM
Quote from: Milltown Row2 on September 14, 2023, 12:46:25 PM

St Endas, won IFC 2018 playing in Div 1?

Not sure of the set up at the time, whether they won division 2 and played IFC the following year while being senior...

But that's down to the clubs, they voted for things like that to happen
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

clarshack

Quote from: ClubScene13 on September 13, 2023, 04:40:29 PM
It is a fair point but with their lengthy stint in senior only ending last year and the county power they have they're not the typical intermediate team in Armagh. I suppose 3 county men isn't everything if you are severely lacking in other areas. It's a bit of a lottery most years the intermediate and junior in Ulster

Shane O'Neills with 3 Armagh Seniors were defeated in the first round of Ulster last year. Are Cullyhanna a better team than them?

SaffronSports

If O'Rourke takes the Derry job would he see out the season with Glen? Surely there would be an overlap if Glen got a good run again.

general_lee

Quote from: clarshack on September 14, 2023, 01:30:03 PM
It is a fair point but with their lengthy stint in senior only ending last year and the county power they have they're not the typical intermediate team in Armagh. I suppose 3 county men isn't everything if you are severely lacking in other areas. It's a bit of a lottery most years the intermediate and junior in Ulster

Shane O'Neills with 3 Armagh Seniors were defeated in the first round of Ulster last year. Are Cullyhanna a better team than them?
Cullyhanna also have 3 Armagh seniors (Ross McQuillan, Aidan Nugent, Jason Duffy) and they probably  have a bit more squad depth and experience as well.

Armagh18

Quote from: general_lee on September 14, 2023, 10:07:54 AM
Quote from: Ed Ricketts on September 13, 2023, 02:28:31 PM
Cullyhanna were intermediate about a decade ago and people were also on about them winning an Ulster title at the time. They won Armagh, and then they were well beaten in the Ulster first round by some unremarkable team from Derry.

It's been over a decade since an Armagh intermediate representative even won a game in Ulster, never mind challenged for the title. That won't change this year. We routinely underestimate just how far off the pace the Armagh intermediate (and junior) clubs are at Ulster level. In reality, most of the senior clubs in the county would struggle to win an Ulster intermediate title.
I'd echo this (somewhat). Cullyhanna didn't even win the Intermediate A league this year, succumbing to 4 defeats including a 1 pt defeat at home to St Paul's who had a stag that weekend. So they're not even guaranteed senior football next year, unless they win the championship. With plenty of banana skins, this isn't a forgone conclusion.

That said, I don't think Armagh teams are that far off. Shane O'Neill's (who were completely out of their depth in Armagh senior football league & championship this year) were beat by 1 pt by the Ulster finalists, who are currently undefeated in the Monaghan SFC.
Both Cullyhanna and Shanes have 3 county men so would be without them for the bulk of the league in fairness. Shanes also lost another few lads to travelling etc. Cullyhanna far from certain to win Armagh intermediate though!

Armagh18

Quote from: clarshack on September 14, 2023, 01:30:03 PM

I would say so yes.