Why doesn't the GAA prosper in working class areas?

Started by Zulu, January 19, 2008, 12:30:53 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bord na Mona man

Soccer is by a long way the most popular sport of the working class areas and I think most of the reasons have been covered.

- Built up areas suit the playing of soccer better.

- Structures. Soccer caters for the social player better. 5 a-side leagues, pub teams, astro leagues, indoor halls, allow the casual player a regular game. Even the biggest GAA clubs don't field many adult teams. They are seen as a drain on the club unless they are of some benefit to the better teams. Anybody can start up a soccer team with their mates and have a bit of fun. Setting up a GAA team/club is far more cumbersome.
In cities and big towns where there isn't the benefit of tightly knit communities and sacred boundaries the GAA still hasn't found an alternative means of getting teams and players mobilised.
The GAA gets away with murder in most rural areas with its bad fixture planning. Where there is any sort of competition with other sports, the GAA cuts its own throats with terrible club fixture planning.

- The perception of the GAA being of rural/green/traditional/connected to the past doesn't appeal to a lot of urban people. In Dublin for example, my experience is that the hostility towards the GAA is very often rooted in a dislike of culchies. Lots of people are quick to tell you about their dislike of the GAA, yet can't present much of a case as to why they feel that way.
It is what the "gah" is associated with, rather than any particular bad acts by the GAA that turn them off.

On a slightly related issue GAA bashing is seen as fairly acceptable, whereas GAA people speaking ill of other sports certainly isn't. It is reflective of a certain mindset that exists in the country.

- Escapism. Soccer offers the hope (though maybe slim) of a teenager being thrust into a life of mega riches and wealth. Especially in areas where there is low participation in higher education and traditionally don't churn out the barristers, stock brokers and doctors.
Similar to why sales of lottery tickets are highest in poorer areas. Pushing your son towards a career as a professional soccer is a bit like buying the ticket and hoping your number comes in. Scouts and coaches can be very manipulative when it comes to selling the dream to teenage boys and their families.

Thousands of young people have gone through the mill of going on trial with clubs in England, or being told they are being they are being watched by scouts from all sorts of random clubs.
It almost seems farcical how few make it. I wonder is the whole thing a big setup to keep young people's heads turned, when realistically most of them haven't a hope of making it.

Zulu

Good post BnaM and I agree that there is a certain perception of the GAA in urban areas especially in the cities. However that doesn't always hold true, both Cork and Waterford are GAA towns and many large towns have flourishing GAA scenes. I don't accept the built up areas or escapism reasons however as the are just as applicable to middle class areas, I'd question if the GAA are doing enough to establish a presence in urban areas like Galway, dublin and Derry in particular.

Zapatista

Quote from: Zulu on January 19, 2008, 04:14:45 PM
Oh right, but even in Ulster would it be fair to say that the GAA is the game of the rural and middle class Catholic community. Even in Ulster where for obvious reasons the GAA may have represented more than a sporting organisation to the Nationalist community, soccer wins hands down in Derry city.

That is true. And I believe it is becuase of the protest sport. It's also true that over the years Ulster Nationalist middle class have been in a small minority. It's not true for the 26 county's though.You are right about Derry city and I don't claim to know why but I will say there are exceptions to every rule.

lynchbhoy

dunno
maybe because its just easier to play soccer

a lot of kids together, only a handful might play Gaelic Football and even if they all did, age differences in groups in housing estates mean that football games are not equal,
while its a more competitive game when the ball is on the deck and speed, strength are no longer an advantage to the older lads
- so they opt for soccer, and get a more competetive game they all can play (without rows , fights of smaller kids going home crying)