Laois 2017 - NHL and Leinster SHC

Started by G@@, October 14, 2016, 04:15:43 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

redsetanta

I assume they worked on it in training but we need to start scoring goals. We're probably going to concede so without stating the obvious we have to outscore them. We can't rely on points alone. A few bob on Foyle to grab one tomorrow night though I doubt the odds would be great.
The real glory is being knocked to your knees and then coming back. That's real glory. VinceLombardi

honest hurler

look no one wants to be criticle of players but our inside back line needs a good shaken up forget the college its now down to buisness does not matter who yu are if your nt good enough for a position then you must make way foyle was hard done last week good to see him keep his place fleming has done everything right and he must be very dissapointed well thats hurling only 15 can start and i hope we have got our best out tomorrow

Don Draper

Quote from: Ogie on February 17, 2017, 04:56:17 PM
Full back line one of the poorest I've ever seen,
I'm told it was pre planned that Fleming would hurl against Kerry & Rowland against Offaly but I feel it's very unfair on Fleming he has been outstanding, hasn't put a foot wrong.
Neither has Rowland

Ogie

Fleming was in possession so why change now if he's started the league as number 1

Keyser Söze

Quote from: Ogie on February 17, 2017, 11:20:52 PM
Fleming was in possession so why change now if he's started the league as number 1

The most important thing is that come championship the best man for the job is in possession. I don't see any other way of deciding it! Does Kelly wait for Fleming to make one mistake and then drop him and give Rowland a run. And repeat?
The fact that Rowland starts this game doesn't erase Fleming's performance v Kerry, which by all accounts was exceptional.

I think you may be looked at this with a slightly biased viewpoint.
And btw I was and am delighted to see Fleming in there- I think he will ultimately end up as Number 1.
The greatest trick the devil ever pulled.......

Don Draper

Quote from: Ogie on February 17, 2017, 11:20:52 PM
I would imagine nobody was in possession. Both are excellent keepers, we've never had it so good in that position. Just hope they can both drive each other on, and at the same time, be content backing up the other.

redsetanta

Rowland does have the ability to knock over a free which could be the difference.
The real glory is being knocked to your knees and then coming back. That's real glory. VinceLombardi

Keyser Söze

Quote from: redsetanta on February 17, 2017, 11:59:29 PM
Rowland does have the ability to knock over a free which could be the difference.

I would say Fleming scored 0-15/0-20 last year in league and championship from frees for Borris Kilcotton

TP Ashe

Fleming is a great lad and a technically sound keeper but Rowland has a far higher ceiling. That's the reason every single underage coach picked him as #1....

I can't see us keeping within 8 of Offaly to be honest...

I think our half-back line will get ripped to shreds.

Tobias

Fleming is a great lad and a technically sound keeper but Rowland has a far higher ceiling. That's the reason every single underage coach picked him as #1....

I don't agree, Offaly are no better than we are and they have a few lads injured. We need to be more consistent and perform for the 70 minutes. I think we have a good chance of winning this. I wouldn't be worried about our half back line, I think it's a strong line in fact.

G@@

Quote from: TP Ashe on February 18, 2017, 01:24:20 AM

Thankfully your prediction was way off... Laois 1-26 v 1-20 Offaly. A great result for the lads tonight, a much needed morale boost. Laois were 7pts up when Offaly were reduced to 13 men, so slightly worrying that we didn't have the killer streak to bury them by 10+ pts. Still though, a win over the old enemy is worth it! :)
"I can't get over you - 'till you come out from under him" - Pat Shortt - Class!

Don Draper

Quote from: G@@ on February 18, 2017, 08:44:35 PM
Quote from: TP Ashe on February 18, 2017, 01:24:20 AM

Thankfully your prediction was way off... Laois 1-26 v 1-20 Offaly. A great result for the lads tonight, a much needed morale boost. Laois were 7pts up when Offaly were reduced to 13 men, so slightly worrying that we didn't have the killer streak to bury them by 10+ pts. Still though, a win over the old enemy is worth it! :)

Wouldn't been too upset about not running up the scoreboard. We  emptied our bench and Cha, Picky, Dwane etc all pulled up the handbrake a bit after a **** of a week tbf. Woulda been fun to bury them but best leave them limp along for fear they'd do something drastic and improve their lot.

We're awful young lads, awful young. They're poor, we're marginally better with a bit more scope to develop but, as has been well flagged here, we lack physicality in the backs and well backs in general.

Anyway, nothing we don't know, a good win all things considered, always nice to beat them. The sending offs were nailed on, horrible strokes both. Our lads gave a response after last weeks defeat and we have some potential to develop. Credit where it's due. Jaysus but if we'd only finished it out last week look at where we'd be st now though.

Special mention for Cian Taylor, the boy has it.

burdizzo

I agree, 'twas a shame we didn't win by more, but you have to remember the referee gave Offaly a whole load of terribly soft frees once he sent their second man off. Also, whenever Offaly clawed it back a bit, Laois were able to tag on another point or two.
Thought Bergin did well enough at full-back, despite the misgivings about him. Nice goal from Foyle, even if he may have taken too many steps, and some good point-taking from Dwyer and Dunphy.
Still and all, these two teams could be back in a relegation game in Tullamore, and if Offaly are a bit stronger, would you fancy Laois then?!

Keyser Söze

Good win, job done. Poor game. Don't want to be too negative.

But 2 things;
Why didn't Taylor start?
Why did we wait until Offaly had scored 1-2 before abandoning our 2 man Full back line?! What a crazy situation to allow Offaly play a 2 v 2 set up for the first 6-7 minutes.

theoldvet

With offaly down to 13 players, you think we would score a few goals
No, same old story.