County Manager Merry go round

Started by Rossfan, August 11, 2015, 02:39:34 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

The Trap

Itchy I already said county level is £1m a year!
There wouldn't be a senior team in Tyrone not spending £50k a year, or Down, or Derry........even the clubs with an in house man at the front back them with everything they need.
On physios.......say they charge £25 per appt and £50 match cover which are both very reasonable.........even only 4 appts per week (if you head down to your local pitch a physio will be there for hours) is £150 a week for 9 or 10 months which os £6k.........some clubs have 2 physios.......use outside physios for bigger injuries......use rehabilitation gyms.......have massuese available.

Listen I am only highlighting what is going on and the industry that has been built around GAA. Sure the Cavan backroom team announced just reinforced it. And top clubs aren't far off that level.

Not saying its right or wrong but over the last 10 years this has built and built and you cannot put the genie back in the bottle....

Brendan

And still certain club players refuse to pay membership because they feel they get nothing for their money, it's crazy

yellowcard

Quote from: The Trap on August 24, 2023, 04:28:38 PM
There wouldn't be a senior team in Tyrone not spending £50k a year, or Down, or Derry........even the clubs with an in house man at the front back them with everything they need.
On physios.......say they charge £25 per appt and £50 match cover which are both very reasonable.........even only 4 appts per week (if you head down to your local pitch a physio will be there for hours) is £150 a week for 9 or 10 months which os £6k.........some clubs have 2 physios.......use outside physios for bigger injuries......use rehabilitation gyms.......have massuese available.

Listen I am only highlighting what is going on and the industry that has been built around GAA. Sure the Cavan backroom team announced just reinforced it. And top clubs aren't far off that level.

Not saying its right or wrong but over the last 10 years this has built and built and you cannot put the genie back in the bottle....

All very true and those figures aren't exaggerated. Medical costs form a large part of the running of any clubs and players now expect this level of welfare. That's before the manager/coach (sometimes one and now often two for senior clubs) get their cut. Plus not all the payments will be seen in the club running costs as some clubs will have their own backers. It's a huge industry.

As for the Cavan back room team, I don't see too many names with a track record of success apart from the Meath ladies manager. The rest are made up of some good ex sports people which is a totally different skill set and some unknown backroom members. It might work but it looks like a managerial team cobbled together with a few big names thrown in to keep the natives happy.

rodney trotter

Some of the backroom were there already so it's not all totally new. James Burke ex Mayo coach was there this year. Andre Quinn been with Cavan for the past few years in a full time position head of Athletic .
Gary Rogers worked with Cavan before for 2 years.

Murray is from Cavan orginally.

seafoid

Cavan have to stay in the top half of D2 as a start. It will have to be well managed.
"f**k it, just score"- Donaghy   https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IbxG2WwVRjU

yellowcard

Quote from: Sonny Joe on August 24, 2023, 01:48:17 PM
Quote from: NAG1 on August 24, 2023, 12:40:01 PM
Quote from: The Trap on August 24, 2023, 02:46:51 AM
50k to cover
Manager
Coach
Physio
S&C
Nutritionist
Mri scans
An operation or 2 a year

Look round most clubs next time you play a match and see how many people are on the sideline.......even some junior clubs would surprise you.

Most senior clubs with any ambition are spending way more than that.

Any club spending that need their heads read  :-[

clearly someone who has no idea of the level needed to create the environment needed for success. Our club alone spent 21K on physico and ops last year. Admittedly two of the ops were unfortunate and not typical of a normal season. Still that figure is about spot on for any top senior club with aspirations. With an inside manager doing it for nothing, your still on the money mark

Except that the money spent on these coaches is not always reflective of the level of their ability. Its an industry full of spivs and bluffers. The biggest culprits are those clubs who spend crazy sums to get high profile celebrity names in for a session or two either coaching or to give talks to a club side. Most are high profile county managers or ex players. Nobody will ever prove whether they were effective or not but if they can sell themselves well and talk flowery language they will make an impression on some young lads but the reality is that the club members are paying for the privilege of hiring these lads. At least with a coach and a physio there is a form of service being provided which can be measured easily. 

Sonny Joe

Quote from: yellowcard on August 25, 2023, 09:09:36 AM
Quote from: Sonny Joe on August 24, 2023, 01:48:17 PM
Quote from: NAG1 on August 24, 2023, 12:40:01 PM
Quote from: The Trap on August 24, 2023, 02:46:51 AM
50k to cover
Manager
Coach
Physio
S&C
Nutritionist
Mri scans
An operation or 2 a year

Look round most clubs next time you play a match and see how many people are on the sideline.......even some junior clubs would surprise you.

Most senior clubs with any ambition are spending way more than that.

Any club spending that need their heads read  :-[

clearly someone who has no idea of the level needed to create the environment needed for success. Our club alone spent 21K on physico and ops last year. Admittedly two of the ops were unfortunate and not typical of a normal season. Still that figure is about spot on for any top senior club with aspirations. With an inside manager doing it for nothing, your still on the money mark

Except that the money spent on these coaches is not always reflective of the level of their ability. Its an industry full of spivs and bluffers. The biggest culprits are those clubs who spend crazy sums to get high profile celebrity names in for a session or two either coaching or to give talks to a club side. Most are high profile county managers or ex players. Nobody will ever prove whether they were effective or not but if they can sell themselves well and talk flowery language they will make an impression on some young lads but the reality is that the club members are paying for the privilege of hiring these lads. At least with a coach and a physio there is a form of service being provided which can be measured easily.

agree entirely that is some bullshit and totally pointless, with an outcome that would last about two hours.
If winning isn't everything, why do they keep score?

Itchy

Quote from: The Trap on August 24, 2023, 04:28:38 PM

I do find it hard to believe that every senior team in Tyrone is spending 50k on their senior team. If they are then what a ridiculous waste of money. Is there a penny left for anything else after that or are ye all super rich clubs up there? All this stuff that lads think they need to be cutting edge at club level is such nonsense. As I said, its a simple enough game when its broken down. I am not a dinosaur, I coached senior teams and underage teams and I still do with some success. The biggest problem seems to be that players think they are missing out if they don't have all this garbage and of course isnt it also a great excuse (if only we had 2 physios like team X we would have won the championship!), it deflects away from the basic requirements of turning up to training and applying yourself at trainings and matches - you can always blame the lack of expertise on the line instead of take responsibility.

Sonny Joe

We are clearly not talking like for like, as the 2/3 teams at the top end that prepare the way I am suggesting, train and prepare properly, no missing training, fully committed, there or there abouts each year. Why would any club invest in players if they didn't do the basics like attend every session and bust a gut.
If winning isn't everything, why do they keep score?

Itchy

Quote from: Sonny Joe on August 25, 2023, 10:26:18 AM
We are clearly not talking like for like, as the 2/3 teams at the top end that prepare the way I am suggesting, train and prepare properly, no missing training, fully committed, there or there abouts each year. Why would any club invest in players if they didn't do the basics like attend every session and bust a gut.

Why indeed

seafoid

Financial conditions vary hugely by County. I doubt top clubs in most Leinster counties or N Connacht are forking out what is paid in Tyrone where they never win the club all Ireland.

Itchy

Quote from: seafoid on August 25, 2023, 02:19:57 PM
Financial conditions vary hugely by County. I doubt top clubs in most Leinster counties or N Connacht are forking out what is paid in Tyrone where they never win the club all Ireland.

I would say total turnover in some top clubs would be 50k.

seafoid

The ESRI report might have some numbers.

seafoid

"County level is £1m per annum." For D2-4? 

Rossfan

Fitzgerald steps down from Waterford

Football.
Davy's given us a dream to cling to
We're going to bring home the SAM