County Manager Merry go round

Started by Rossfan, August 11, 2015, 02:39:34 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

naka

Quote from: Taylor on August 17, 2023, 02:53:37 PM
Quote from: naka on August 17, 2023, 02:34:23 PM
Quote from: J70 on August 17, 2023, 12:45:50 PM
Rumours today that McGuinness is actually a realistic prospect to return to the Donegal job.

I'll believe it when I see it.

The expectations would be sky high, but I seriously doubt there is an AI challenge in that Donegal squad. There's no elite players like Murphy, Lacey and Neil McGee that McGuinness was able to harness the first time. Would he be content with contesting Ulster finals and, maybe on an extremely good year, an AI semi?

And would he not be publicly acknowledging that his dream of breaking into top level soccer coaching is over?
Tbf talking to a senior Donegal official at the football final and he was confident that Mc Guiness would be back with Gilligan as his no2

Was Gilligan not rumoured to be in with Armagh now?

McGuinness is bound to know he will be on a hiding to nothing taking that Donegal team over now
Yip but this was told to me before gilligan was mentioned with Armagh
Tbf thr official seemed confident enough.

the goal was on

Donegal been digging out the gold the past few weeks for the deal mc Guinness will be looking and all the support he'll demand. He's an underage development coach so his chances of making it in soccer are zero at this stage. Maybe Rory G will come back to Derry and we could get a blockbuster down the line

Captain Obvious

Rumours today that McGuinness is actually a realistic prospect to return to the Donegal job.

The expectations would be sky high, but I seriously doubt there is an AI challenge in that Donegal squad. There's no elite players like Murphy, Lacey and Neil McGee that McGuinness was able to harness the first time. Would he be content with contesting Ulster finals and, maybe on an extremely good year, an AI semi?

And would he not be publicly acknowledging that his dream of breaking into top level soccer coaching is over?
Tbf talking to a senior Donegal official at the football final and he was confident that Mc Guiness would be back with Gilligan as his no2

McGuinness is bound to know he will be on a hiding to nothing taking that Donegal team over now

Donegal are in a simliar place to where they were when he took on the Donegal gig in his first spell. Division 2, few if any tipping them to win Ulster. Jim will have fit and very intense and have some good underage players that are waiting to establish themselves at senior level. If Murphy comes back it will likely to be part of his management team

J70

Quote from: Rudi on August 17, 2023, 04:08:38 PM

100,000 reasons he will not be on a hiding to nothing. Murphy won't be back.

What's the word on the ground Rudi?

Likely or not?

Rudi

Quote from: J70 on August 17, 2023, 07:58:41 PM
Quote from: Rudi on August 17, 2023, 04:08:38 PM

100,000 reasons he will not be on a hiding to nothing. Murphy won't be back.

What's the word on the ground Rudi?

Likely or not?

Pretty much a done deal, which will probably have a positive snowball effect for Donegal football, regarding getting Academy going again.

tyrone08

Would love to see Jim back at donegal as it will expose him for what he is. A one trick pony who took a talented bunch of players and pushed them to the absolute extreme and managed to squeeze out an AI.

He probably shorted a few players career's with his extreme training but rode off into the sunset a hero after only a few years there. Now as a failed soccer manager he might be back.

Best case is he wins an ulster. Could be proven wrong but time will tell.

Bord na Mona man

Declan Kelly, manager of the 2021 U20 All Ireland winning team gets the Offaly job.

https://twitter.com/Offaly_GAA/status/1692212729669464192?s=20

shawshank

Quote from: tyrone08 on August 17, 2023, 09:27:45 PM
Would love to see Jim back at donegal as it will expose him for what he is. A one trick pony who took a talented bunch of players and pushed them to the absolute extreme and managed to squeeze out an AI.

He probably shorted a few players career's with his extreme training but rode off into the sunset a hero after only a few years there. Now as a failed soccer manager he might be back.

The bitterness of this post 😂😂😂😂
He put Tyrone in his box for sure.

tyrone08

Quote from: shawshank on August 19, 2023, 05:38:15 PM

No bitterness at all. Donegal continued to beat Tyrone for many of years after he left. Tell me this, do you disagree with what I said. Would you consider Jim a top manager ?

His record is

1st year. Beat by dublin after donegal scored 6 points in the entire game.

2nd year. Won the ai against mayo. Pretty much standard lol.

3rd year. Lost quater final by 16 points against mayo.

4th year. Lost final against kerry

Then left for a soccer career with 1 win in about 15 matches in USA.

imtommygunn

2012 beat a very good Kerry and cork in the run up to beating Mayo in the final. The run up had some huge wins.

2011 he played a hugely defensive system because the players weren't ready to play the counter attacking game he wanted.

Tbh I thought the 2014 final was his biggest failing. Kerry mirrored Donegal's tactics and I don't think he knew what to do. Donegal really left that one behind.

(Also that 2014 beating for Dublin was imo the making of that Dublin team but probably can't blame him for that...).

Ethan Tremblay

Quote from: tyrone08 on August 19, 2023, 06:57:47 PM

No bitterness at all. Donegal continued to beat Tyrone for many of years after he left. Tell me this, do you disagree with what I said. Would you consider Jim a top manager ?

His record is

Something about how you have worded it makes it read bitter tbf

But I think your point is valid, it'll be interesting to see how good he actually is with this crop of players and the counry teams playing the way they are. 

I tend to think of myself as a one man wolfpack...

the goal was on

By all accounts Mc Guinness was working weekly with Down  this year. Didn't see down play much but they didn't get out of div 3 or shake up the championship in May way. Would have loved to see him get a soccer job in Ireland to see how he would have got on.

Cunny Funt

Quote from: the goal was on on August 19, 2023, 08:32:07 PM
By all accounts Mc Guinness was working weekly with Down  this year. Didn't see down play much but they didn't get out of div 3 or shake up the championship in May way. Would have loved to see him get a soccer job in Ireland to see how he would have got on.
First I've heard of it. Be interesting to see how McGuinness does on his return, ten years a long time out of inter county management and unlike 2014 pretty much every team nowadays has a focus on possession football with number back in defence plus counter attacking with pace for the majority of their scores.

tyrone08

Quote from: Ethan Tremblay on August 19, 2023, 07:42:34 PM
Quote from: tyrone08 on August 19, 2023, 06:57:47 PM

His record is

Something about how you have worded it makes it read bitter tbf

But I think your point is valid, it'll be interesting to see how good he actually is with this crop of players and the counry teams playing the way they are.

Reading it again myself it does sound bitter but it's really not meant to be. I just honestly think he done a smash and grab with a very talented bunch but pushed them and the tactics of gaelic to the extreme.

I never really bought into the myth that he was some sort of wonder manager. Suppose time will tell but wouldn't be betting on it. Even as a commentator he wasn't great. Said Tyrone would be no were near AI in 2021 and sure look what happened

bennydorano

They did fluke it tho so he was thinking in line with 95% of the country.