County Manager Merry go round

Started by Rossfan, August 11, 2015, 02:39:34 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Schkite

Quote from: Rossfan on July 06, 2023, 10:03:56 AM
Vacancies  - Donegal., Laois,  Tipperary,  Clare.
Possible vacancies soon -Tyrone, Armagh,  Offaly, Galway, Leitrim, Kildare.

No vacancy this year (unless voluntary) - Ros, Kerry, Derry, Down, Meath, Dublin, Cork, Louth.

Don't know about the rest except Mayowestros will be throwing some of the management staff under the bus.

You really think Vinny Corey's position isn't secure after his first year over Monaghan?

Rossfan

Quote from: Schkite on July 06, 2023, 07:27:19 PM
Quote from: Rossfan on July 06, 2023, 10:03:56 AM
Vacancies  - Donegal., Laois,  Tipperary,  Clare.
Possible vacancies soon -Tyrone, Armagh,  Offaly, Galway, Leitrim, Kildare.

No vacancy this year (unless voluntary) - Ros, Kerry, Derry, Down, Meath, Dublin, Cork, Louth.

Don't know about the rest except Mayowestros will be throwing some of the management staff under the bus.

You really think Vinny Corey's position isn't secure after his first year over Monaghan?
Just forgot to include them on the safe list :-[
Davy's given us a dream to cling to
We're going to bring home the SAM

J70

Quote from: seafoid on July 06, 2023, 06:27:05 AM
https://www.irishtimes.com/sport/gaelic-games/2023/07/05/michael-murphy-rules-himself-out-of-the-donegal-managerial-race/Murphy has moved to distance himself from taking on the role at this stage.

"Not yet, not yet. Listen, timing, I suppose last year the reason I moved away from playing was because of the whole energy thing of what's required on an everyday basis, that's the whole thing I would have struggled to give," he said.

Learn more

"I knew myself it was something I would struggle to give, and moving into management, listen, it's a big thing.

"In order to do it right and the way it needs to be done, it's massive hours within every single day. Plus added into the fact I need to go and learn the trade, I need to go and learn about it and maybe go and figure out coaching and figure out management.

"I've been taking the local minors for the last couple of years and at that level I give it my all for a couple of days a week, but that's what it is - a couple of days of the week. So I'm not foolish enough to kind of know that I could throw myself into something."

And Murphy does not see himself linking up as a selector on any Donegal managerial dream-team ticket for 2024 either.

"Definitely not for me anyway at the moment, no," he added.

"If anything, I had already committed, I suppose, to helping out along with Karl (Lacey) in the academy last year with the underage teams.

"If that kind of project gets back up and going again I think I would probably try and help out in some capacity again with Donegal at underage level, and figure that thing out in an environment that is maybe less pressurised and less time-consuming and where you can maybe afford to make mistakes and learn from them."

Murphy is head of sport at the ATU (formerly LYIT) in Letterkenny. Getting married too. And I think he's still joint owner of the sports shop with Neil Gallagher. So probably cannot spare the time and effort needed.

It would be great for the county though if they get the academy back up and running under Lacey and he brings the likes of Murphy back in. Not holding my breath though.

I saw another interview in which he was quoted being pretty brutally honest about the relative lack of attraction of the senior football job in Donegal. He compared it to Mayo, who had their opening at the same time as Donegal last year, being able to entice four high profile management teams, not just managers, to apply.

skeog

Murphy has plenty of perks Gaago etc plus other Marty Morrissey extras.Management not on his agenda.

marty34

Quote from: skeog on July 06, 2023, 09:32:34 PM
Murphy has plenty of perks Gaago etc plus other Marty Morrissey extras.Management not on his agenda.

Why would he go into management?

He has a cushy number and a bit of tv work.  Can't lose.

Go into management and he'll lose his legacy.

marty34

Quote from: J70 on July 06, 2023, 08:15:07 PM
https://www.irishtimes.com/sport/gaelic-games/2023/07/05/michael-murphy-rules-himself-out-of-the-donegal-managerial-race/Murphy has moved to distance himself from taking on the role at this stage.

"Not yet, not yet. Listen, timing, I suppose last year the reason I moved away from playing was because of the whole energy thing of what's required on an everyday basis, that's the whole thing I would have struggled to give," he said.

Learn more

"I knew myself it was something I would struggle to give, and moving into management, listen, it's a big thing.

"In order to do it right and the way it needs to be done, it's massive hours within every single day. Plus added into the fact I need to go and learn the trade, I need to go and learn about it and maybe go and figure out coaching and figure out management.

"I've been taking the local minors for the last couple of years and at that level I give it my all for a couple of days a week, but that's what it is - a couple of days of the week. So I'm not foolish enough to kind of know that I could throw myself into something."

And Murphy does not see himself linking up as a selector on any Donegal managerial dream-team ticket for 2024 either.

"If anything, I had already committed, I suppose, to helping out along with Karl (Lacey) in the academy last year with the underage teams.

"If that kind of project gets back up and going again I think I would probably try and help out in some capacity again with Donegal at underage level, and figure that thing out in an environment that is maybe less pressurised and less time-consuming and where you can maybe afford to make mistakes and learn from them."

Murphy is head of sport at the ATU (formerly LYIT) in Letterkenny. Getting married too. And I think he's still joint owner of the sports shop with Neil Gallagher. So probably cannot spare the time and effort needed.

It would be great for the county though if they get the academy back up and running under Lacey and he brings the likes of Murphy back in. Not holding my breath though.

I saw another interview in which he was quoted being pretty brutally honest about the relative lack of attraction of the senior football job in Donegal. He compared it to Mayo, who had their opening at the same time as Donegal last year, being able to entice four high profile management teams, not just managers, to apply.

What is the story with the academy nowadays anyway?

Has that been sorted?

Rudi

Quote from: marty34 on July 06, 2023, 11:17:51 PM

Learn more

Has that been sorted?

Not sorted by any means. U 16s & u15s have some coaches, to keep them ticking over. U14s never got up & running at all.

marty34

Quote from: Rudi on July 07, 2023, 08:59:06 AM

Learn more

Has that been sorted?

Not sorted by any means. U 16s & u15s have some coaches, to keep them ticking over. U14s never got up & running at all.

Is there any compromise in sight Rudi?  Or will this just drag on over the winter and there'll be a 1/2 academy in 2024 do you reckon?

Rudi

Quote from: marty34 on July 07, 2023, 09:05:56 AM
Quote from: Rudi on July 07, 2023, 08:59:06 AM

Learn more

Has that been sorted?

Is there any compromise in sight Rudi?  Or will this just drag on over the winter and there'll be a 1/2 academy in 2024 do you reckon?

County board have held some talks with former academy coaches, Croke Park have got involved - no white smoke yet.

Itchy

Mickey Graham stands down as Cavan manager.

Rossfan

Davy's given us a dream to cling to
We're going to bring home the SAM

Blowitupref

Quote from: Itchy on July 10, 2023, 08:54:31 PM

Correct time to do so, and likely replacement?
Is the ref going to finally blow his whistle?... No, he's going to blow his nose

seafoid

Quote from: Blowitupref on July 10, 2023, 10:04:35 PM

Someone who can win the Tailteann
"f**k it, just score"- Donaghy   https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IbxG2WwVRjU

Derryman forever

Itchy

Quote from: seafoid on July 11, 2023, 08:46:20 AM
Quote from: Blowitupref on July 10, 2023, 10:04:35 PM

Someone who can win the Tailteann

Unlikely they will be in the Tailteann unless you are looking for the new manager to purposely get them relegated from Div2 so they can enter it?