County Manager Merry go round

Started by Rossfan, August 11, 2015, 02:39:34 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Rudi

Monday  was the last day for applications to be in, for parties interested in the role of Donegal senior football manager.
Donegal gaa is keeping all parties interested confidential. A 3 team committee is being set up to interview candidates.

An Watcher

Not sure if the donegal post is as appealing as it once was.  Could still squeeze a bit out of Murphys legs but maybe only a few years left.
As for McGeeney, he made some progress last year but hardly massive strides.  He needs an Ulster title.  Someone said they need to get lucky with the draw.  Derry hardly got lucky in the draw but won it and armagh received an almost perfect draw towards an all ireland final and messed it up. 

Captain Obvious

Quote from: An Watcher on August 16, 2022, 07:54:18 PM
Not sure if the donegal post is as appealing as it once was.  Could still squeeze a bit out of Murphys legs but maybe only a few years left.
As for McGeeney, he made some progress last year but hardly massive strides.  He needs an Ulster title.  Someone said they need to get lucky with the draw.  Derry hardly got lucky in the draw but won it and armagh received an almost perfect draw towards an all ireland final and messed it up.

Armagh beat simliar opposition as Derry to reach the All-Ireland quarter final. Both made their championship exits at the hands of Galway. Derry well beaten by Galway and Armagh on a shootout. One messed up and the other didn't with a so called "perfect" draw?

naka

Quote from: Itchy on August 16, 2022, 03:23:56 PM
Quote from: trailer on August 16, 2022, 03:07:21 PM
Quote from: naka on August 16, 2022, 11:35:01 AM
Mc geeney ratified for another year

A great reward for all their success last year. In Kieran we trust!

Most counties measure success in titles won, especially when they are operating in Div 1 or Div 2. It never ceases to amaze me the cult like status McGeeney has in Armagh.
Mc geeney is doing a decent job in Armagh
Ffs we haven't had a decent under age team on 10 years but are in division 1
It's hardly like we have a conveyor belt like Derry or Tyrone
Actually think he deserves another couple of years

marty34

Quote from: naka on August 16, 2022, 09:59:43 PM
Quote from: Itchy on August 16, 2022, 03:23:56 PM
Quote from: trailer on August 16, 2022, 03:07:21 PM
Quote from: naka on August 16, 2022, 11:35:01 AM
Mc geeney ratified for another year

A great reward for all their success last year. In Kieran we trust!

Most counties measure success in titles won, especially when they are operating in Div 1 or Div 2. It never ceases to amaze me the cult like status McGeeney has in Armagh.
Mc geeney is doing a decent job in Armagh
Ffs we haven't had a decent under age team on 10 years but are in division 1
It's hardly like we have a conveyor belt like Derry or Tyrone
Actually think he deserves another couple of years

Fair enough point.

Plus the club situation isn't as strong, or schools for that matter, so he's doing a very decent job.

screenexile

Quote from: Captain Obvious on August 16, 2022, 08:09:22 PM

Armagh beat simliar opposition as Derry to reach the All-Ireland quarter final. Both made their championship exits at the hands of Galway. Derry well beaten by Galway and Armagh on a shootout. One messed up and the other didn't with a so called "perfect" draw?

Do we totally discount the fact they were well beaten by Donegal? Could be argued both teams had an off day each in the Championship!

Captain Obvious

Quote from: screenexile on August 16, 2022, 11:35:34 PM
Quote from: Captain Obvious on August 16, 2022, 08:09:22 PM

Do we totally discount the fact they were well beaten by Donegal? Could be argued both teams had an off day each in the Championship!

Can be argued that you can discount it as the 2nd Donegal v Armagh game was a season finale for the loser.  Derry's showing their hand in the Ulster championship and then lacking a plan B against Galway was the main issue.

Walter Cronc

History shows when two teams meet again in the championship, the initial loser tends to come out on top. There was an Ulster title this year for Armagh but they bottled it in the 1st round. Don't mind McGeeney but he needs a trophy!

mackers

Quote from: Walter Cronc on August 17, 2022, 06:50:10 AM
History shows when two teams meet again in the championship, the initial loser tends to come out on top. There was an Ulster title this year for Armagh but they bottled it in the 1st round. Don't mind McGeeney but he needs a trophy!
I agree.  McGeeney set us up too defensively for the first game in Ballybofey, he tried to take Donegal on at their own game in their back yard. When we played them in Clones we played the style of football that is more natural to this team. 
Keep your pecker hard and your powder dry and the world will turn.

Ethan Tremblay

Its always hard for a manager to take a team in transition or on a low eb.  For several years under mcgeeney, Armagh were not fancied to do much and didn't have a solid team as they appear to now.  I suppose the country board are recognising that and giving him a turn with a team with potential. 

Similar to McCartan in Down last year, with the team he had available, what was he expected to do? McGeeney could keep a sense of unity amongst the teams he has had, despite their lack of success. 

Regarding the Donegal post, I am not sure who would want it.  I think most people look at the team and think there is an inflated sense of expectation about them due to their recent history and success. 
I tend to think of myself as a one man wolfpack...

Jim Bob

Must be both galling and embarrassing for McGeeney all the same when he sees Logan and Dooher roll up and win Ulster and All Ireland in one year then Gallagher turns up and wins Ulster.
He there 8 years , is it, and hasn't even reached a final never mind win one. If he wasn't who he was he'd been gone long before now

Ethan Tremblay

Quote from: Jim Bob on August 17, 2022, 12:25:33 PM
Must be both galling and embarrassing for McGeeney all the same when he sees Logan and Dooher roll up and win Ulster and All Ireland in one year then Gallagher turns up and wins Ulster.
He there 8 years , is it, and hasn't even reached a final never mind win one. If he wasn't who he was he'd been gone long before now

Yes I would agree with that also.  I would stick by my summary that given the teams they had available over the course of his tenure, no manager, having replaced him, would have fared any better, with the exception of this year possibly. 
I tend to think of myself as a one man wolfpack...

tonto1888

Quote from: Jim Bob on August 17, 2022, 12:25:33 PM

Hardly embarrassing though

J70

Quote from: Ethan Tremblay on August 17, 2022, 11:55:08 AM

Regarding the Donegal post, I am not sure who would want it.  I think most people look at the team and think there is an inflated sense of expectation about them due to their recent history and success.

I think the expectations were well and truly shown to have disappeared this year. We were outnumbered 5:1 in both the Ulster Final and Armagh qualifier games. Cavan outnumbered us too.

Now I'd suggest that was mainly down to general demoralization with the cowardly type of football we were playing rather than confidence in the quality of player we have.

Hopefully whoever gets the job will improve the football and extract the optimum performance levels from the players. If we're not good enough on the talent front, so be it. Personally, I think we've easily enough talent to be seriously challenging for Ulster. Not good enough beyond that though.