County Manager Merry go round

Started by Rossfan, August 11, 2015, 02:39:34 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Smokin Joe

Heard rumours about a very big name being suggested for the Down job.

toby47

Quote from: Smokin Joe on November 08, 2021, 10:33:00 AM

Jimmy

inroundthesquare

yellowcard

Quote from: inroundthesquare on November 08, 2021, 11:06:37 AM
Quote from: toby47 on November 08, 2021, 11:04:33 AM

Jimmy

Gavin or McGuinness.....

Don't think I've ever heard Gavin referred to as Jimmy Gavin so I am presuming the rumour must be Jimmy McGuinness? If that were to ring true it would end all pretensions of there being a 'Down way' once and for all. I can't see that happening however.

imtommygunn

The Down thread is hilarious. New name every morning.

toby47

The Down job looks very unappealing. Not sure if even McGuinness could do a job there

seafoid

Quote from: imtommygunn on November 08, 2021, 11:38:29 AM
The Down thread is hilarious. New name every morning.
Kilcoo should be disbanded if the new new manager has any chance of making a go of it
Dominant teams are rarely good for the county
"f**k it, just score"- Donaghy   https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IbxG2WwVRjU

Taylor

Kilcoo players have issues playing for the county - that would be one of the issues rather than a dominant club being the issue

Jim Bob

Quote from: toby47 on November 08, 2021, 12:03:00 PM
The Down job looks very unappealing. Not sure if even McGuinness could do a job there

McGuinness won one All Ireland and never came close to winning another. One season wonder. What's the big deal about him ?

tyrone08

Quote from: Jim Bob on November 08, 2021, 06:22:01 PM

McGuinness won one All Ireland and never came close to winning another. One season wonder. What's the big deal about him ?

I have always thought the same. Took players to the absolute extreme and was involved in some of the worst matches in living memory. He wouldnt have a look in at another AI

Captain Obvious

Like a name with a lot of letters?

Blowitupref

Quote from: Jim Bob on November 08, 2021, 06:22:01 PM

Donegal under Jim McGuinness won three Ulster titles 2011, '12, '14  (2011 was their first since 1992) and reached two All-Ireland finals winning one. Donegal haven't reached All Ireland semi final since he left.
Is the ref going to finally blow his whistle?... No, he's going to blow his nose

yellowcard

I wouldn't rewrite history because McGuinness did transform Donegal and won an All Ireland that nobody seen coming. I think they were ranked 17th in Ireland or something like that before he took them over.

However his tactics were a blight on the GAA as they filtered their way down through the GAA in every county at every level. You have to admire him for having the vision and the balls to implement that style of play but it was brutal, horrible stuff. The game has moved on a lot since then, however. Adapt or die.

From the Bunker

Ah, McGuinness took on a three to four year Project. He (on his own whim) got the proper finances in order during that period. He took what was in large a very experienced and under-achieving group of players and made them believe in a system. He also made other teams fear Donegal.

Finance, ambition/hunger, Energy, life cycle, an aging squad and the emergence of financially doped Dublin meant this project was always going to have short term success.

seafoid

Quote from: yellowcard on November 08, 2021, 07:23:17 PM
I wouldn't rewrite history because McGuinness did transform Donegal and won an All Ireland that nobody seen coming. I think they were ranked 17th in Ireland or something like that before he took them over.

However his tactics were a blight on the GAA as they filtered their way down through the GAA in every county at every level. You have to admire him for having the vision and the balls to implement that style of play but it was brutal, horrible stuff. The game has moved on a lot since then, however. Adapt or die.

That doesn't mean he would use the same tactics now. He analyses football in the Irish Times and is always a good read.
"f**k it, just score"- Donaghy   https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IbxG2WwVRjU