Shankill Bombing

Started by omagh_gael, October 25, 2018, 10:36:18 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Itchy

Quote from: Therealdonald on October 26, 2018, 04:45:07 PM
Quote from: Itchy on October 26, 2018, 02:03:45 PM
Quote from: farset on October 26, 2018, 12:15:08 PM
Quote from: Milltown Row2 on October 26, 2018, 10:08:52 AM
joining up would have elevated him around the area...

his family lost a son and have had the shame (possibly) of having a son known as a mass murder.

Joining up to be elevated in the area?? Do you think this guy just wanted to boost his ego? This guy, whilst carrying out a disastrous operation, risked and gave his life for something he obviously believed in and went out to wipe out the leadership of the UFF. I think its an absolute insult to call his joining a movement as some sort of ego drive.

I know of his family and I know a few of his close friends. Ashamed of him they most certainly are not. The opposite in fact.

Maybe they should be, he murder a lot of innocent civilians - that is the bottom line. Republican, of which I am one, are quick to point to disgusting loyalist memorials of mass murderers of catholics. Maybe we should take a look in the mirror too.

But is it not case that the IRA didn't intentionally kill civilians 95% of the time? The targets of their shootings/bombings were for the most part security forces or Paramilitaries? There are obvious glaring exceptions like Enniskillen, but for the most part they didn't go for Civilians. Likely opening myself up to the Anti-brigade here but whatever. Someone said above about how a person was shot through the window after the Shankill bomb and he in fact turned out to be a protestant, there's not too many examples of this on the other side.

I was referring to this man and this incident only. Nothing to be proud of.

red hander

Quote from: seafoid on October 26, 2018, 06:45:31 AM
If you look at the statistics of deaths a lot of either civilians or paramilitaries died when bombs went off at the wrong time, as in Shankill. In the Miami Showband case the 2 UVF thugs who put a bomb in the band's bus were decapitated because of shoddy work. Nothing to do with securing the Union or
Dulce et decorum est pro patria mori

When  a few civilians died due to what was basically incompetence it changed the dynamics from a targeting of other paramilitaries (which was grand) to an attack on
the whole community (which was not).

The gravitas of dying for Ireland or the Union as a paramilitary ignores the technical incompetence angle.

Somerville and that other cnut Boyle were UDR, wearing their uniforms that night and members of the Glenanne Gang, who along with many more UDR and RUC scum, were running rampant in Mid Ulster murdering nationalists left, right and centre without hindrance in that period. The legal forces of the British state. They did the exact same throughout their empire.

Orior

Do soldiers get accused of murder or manslaughter?

Does the person who launched a drone bomb which hits a hospital in Afghanistan get accused of murder or manslaughter?

The Shankill bombers set out to kill UVF members, but for whatever reason ended up killing civilians. Is that murder or manslaughter?
Cover me in chocolate and feed me to the lesbians

Milltown Row2

Quote from: Orior on October 26, 2018, 05:45:54 PM

Does the person who launched a drone bomb which hits a hospital in Afghanistan get accused of murder or manslaughter?

The Shankill bombers set out to kill UVF members, but for whatever reason ended up killing civilians. Is that murder or manslaughter?

McGurks bar, murder or manslaughter?
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

imtommygunn

Quote from: Orior on October 26, 2018, 05:45:54 PM

Are you talking the intricacies of the law here or what you believe?

Murder is premeditated. They went out to kill people and they killed people albeit not the ones they wanted. I am not sure that is the exact letter of the law here but in any sane mind that is murder and the people are murderers...

trailer

Thomas Begley's family now attending the gathering at the IRA plot. This is a change from earlier in the week when they said that they would not attend.

michaelg

Quote from: trailer on October 27, 2018, 05:00:50 PM
Thomas Begley's family now attending the gathering at the IRA plot. This is a change from earlier in the week when they said that they would not attend.
The (rotten) apple didn't fall far from the tree.

OgraAnDun

Quote from: farset on October 27, 2018, 06:41:19 PM
Quote from: michaelg on October 27, 2018, 05:40:55 PM

You're a disgrace. The family have a right to attend anything that involves remembering their son. He was in the IRA. What the IRA did was wrong that day and completely stupid but he carried out what he was asked with an operation of wiping out the UFF leadership.

Why weren't the UFF there? Who made the bomb go off prematurely? It certainly wasn't a suicide mission. Just like countless other incidents, the spooks were involved.

What is your take on O'Malley, Breen, Pearse, Collins, Brugha?

More like what's your take on Craig and Carson, michaelg?

cadhlancian

cnut....

michaelg

Quote from: cadhlancian on October 27, 2018, 07:20:20 PM
cnut....
I think the biggest cnut was the guy who murdered 9 innocent people out shopping on a Saturday afternoon.

Baile an tuaigh

The IRA was formed to protect the Irish prople against tyranny. The young the old the sick the defenseless and people who couldn't defend themselves. It was a thankless horrible job. You were either going to be put in jail or killed unless you made it out of the Country. However the enemy was calculated sinister turning weaker Republicans into traitors. Committing crimes outside Republican ideology and principles with devastating effect which ultimately killed the movement and its support.

general_lee

Watched this programme last night on iPlayer. Sombering to say the least. I'd be fairly certain however that this was an operation that was compromised. I've read somewhere that begley wasn't a member of the ra that long so probably used as a patsy along with kelly. The getaway car didn't hang around anyway

https://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/home-news/shankill-road-bomb-ira-double-agent-deliberately-set-device-to-explode-prematurely-a6833581.html%3famp

trailer

Quote from: Baile an tuaigh on October 27, 2018, 09:02:51 PM
The IRA was formed to protect the Irish prople against tyranny. The young the old the sick the defenseless and people who couldn't defend themselves. It was a thankless horrible job. You were either going to be put in jail or killed unless you made it out of the Country. However the enemy was calculated sinister turning weaker Republicans into traitors. Committing crimes outside Republican ideology and principles with devastating effect which ultimately killed the movement and its support.

I've read some shite in my time but this takes the biscuit.

trailer

Quote from: farset on October 27, 2018, 06:41:19 PM

You're a disgrace. The family have a right to attend anything that involves remembering their son. He was in the IRA. What the IRA did was wrong that day and completely stupid but he carried out what he was asked with an operation of wiping out the UFF leadership.

Why weren't the UFF there? Who made the bomb go off prematurely? It certainly wasn't a suicide mission. Just like countless other incidents, the spooks were involved.

What is your take on O'Malley, Breen, Pearse, Collins, Brugha?

Gerry probably told them not to be there, while tasking Freddy to find out who was informing.

Baile an tuaigh

Safe to say your under 25. Idiot!