GAA club names.

Started by Feckitt, February 27, 2023, 09:09:03 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

armaghniac

What would be new names suitable for clubs?

The Humes, or the The Whittakers (to take figures voted as being top people in the 20th century) or the Mary Robinsons?

The Seamus Heaneys or Patrick Kavanaghs might be poetic.

The Wokes?
If at first you don't succeed, then goto Plan B

Dreadnought

Quote from: whitey on March 01, 2023, 04:33:12 PM
Quote from: Dreadnought on March 01, 2023, 03:28:58 PM
Quote from: whitey on March 01, 2023, 02:45:38 PM
So should Tipperary be prohibited from singing the Galtee Mountain Boy next time they win the All Ireland because it honors and mentions rabid Nazi Supporter Dan Breen?

Should Casement Park be renamed because buy all accounts Roger Casement was a paedophile?

Watch you don't pull a muscle with those stretches

So it's okay for people to be outraged and demand action when it comes to slavery but it's not okay for people to be outraged about the Holocaust or child sexual abuse?

I'm on about clubs specifically named after a man with links to slavery. Someone mentioned in a line in a song, and something that is likely to be untrue claim in order to tar someone for being gay at that time is really not even in the same ballpark. Completely disingenuous considering we're on about names, something chosen, and within control, rather than part of a song. You're being absolutely ridiculous

Armagh18

So should Tipperary be prohibited from singing the Galtee Mountain Boy next time they win the All Ireland because it honors and mentions rabid Nazi Supporter Dan Breen?

Should Casement Park be renamed because buy all accounts Roger Casement was a paedophile?

So it's okay for people to be outraged and demand action when it comes to slavery but it's not okay for people to be outraged about the Holocaust or child sexual abuse?
Totally off topic, but it's complete revisionism to call anyone who supported the Nazis in WW2 holocaust supporters- it wasn't exactly common knowledge that people were being taken to concentration camps and gassed. Germans were seen as the Brits enemy- as old saying goes the enemy of my enemy is my friend. Don't forget that the Brits had done plenty of fairly horrific stuff here in the not too distant past for anyone alive at that time too....

And no, before any clown says so I am in no way defending Nazis or the Holocaust ffs.

whitey

Quote from: Dreadnought on March 01, 2023, 04:51:11 PM

I'm on about clubs specifically named after a man with links to slavery. Someone mentioned in a line in a song, and something that is likely to be untrue claim in order to tar someone for being gay at that time is really not even in the same ballpark. Completely disingenuous considering we're on about names, something chosen, and within control, rather than part of a song. You're being absolutely ridiculous

Well the cup for the SHC in Tipperary is named after him

Should that be changed, considering Breen was a huge fan of Hitler and even sent him a birthday card a few weeks before he died?

https://tippfm.com/sport/gaa/hurling/battle-dan-breen-cup-goes-replay/

seafoid

Quote from: armaghniac on March 01, 2023, 04:42:55 PM

The Humes, or the The Whittakers (to take figures voted as being top people in the 20th century) or the Mary Robinsons?

The Wokes?
Now is too dull for names. Maybe in 20 years when the rich have to get the pitchfork treatment again.

Eamonnca1

The Wokes?

I'm not a big fan of clubs being named after people that were involved in political violence in the last 50 or so years. Sarsfield? Okay. Connolly? Borderline okay. Bobby Sands and Mairead Farrell? Not so much. It makes the GAA less accessible to northern Protestants. I happen to think that the sight of Protestant children playing hurling and protestant children playing Gaelic football is a much better image to aspire to than historic commemoration, and anything that helps it to happen more often has to be a good thing.

For an example from my own hometown, the hurling club is named after Sean Treacy who, to the best of my knowledge, had no immediate connection to the town of Lurgan. He may fall outside the 50-year cutoff that I mentioned, but the name might still be a sticking point for young protestant lads who might otherwise be interested in taking up the sport. If I were still there and involved with the club I'd be opening a discussion about a name that might be more relevant to the town as well as being less off-putting to Protestants. In a town with 4 or 5 football clubs but only one hurling club, recruiting from the town's whole population would be a better business plan than just recruiting from half of it.

AustinPowers

What about clubs  named after  saints?  Do we have to drop saints names in  case it offends  non-believers?

Also..... did St Patrick even  exist?  And St Brigid?  Wasn't Brigid a pagan goddess associated with spring (hence 1st February feast day) who was hijacked by the church  and given a Christian  story?

I mean , if we're just  inventing people/things,  why not Strabane Santa Claus's (sorry , any kids reading this ) , Youghal Yeti's* or Ballyshannon Bigfoot's*?

* May actually exist

general_lee

Change anything named after Dan Breen, Sean South and Eoin O'Duffy.

From the Bunker

Quote from: Eamonnca1 on March 01, 2023, 06:40:39 PM

The Wokes?

I'm not a big fan of clubs being named after people that were involved in political violence in the last 50 or so years. Sarsfield? Okay. Connolly? Borderline okay. Bobby Sands and Mairead Farrell? Not so much. It makes the GAA less accessible to northern Protestants. I happen to think that the sight of Protestant children playing hurling and protestant children playing Gaelic football is a much better image to aspire to than historic commemoration, and anything that helps it to happen more often has to be a good thing.

For an example from my own hometown, the hurling club is named after Sean Treacy who, to the best of my knowledge, had no immediate connection to the town of Lurgan. He may fall outside the 50-year cutoff that I mentioned, but the name might still be a sticking point for young protestant lads who might otherwise be interested in taking up the sport. If I were still there and involved with the club I'd be opening a discussion about a name that might be more relevant to the town as well as being less off-putting to Protestants. In a town with 4 or 5 football clubs but only one hurling club, recruiting from the town's whole population would be a better business plan than just recruiting from half of it.

I totally agree here. We should never forget our past, but does politics belong in sport?  Are we about making potential members uncomfortable?

weareros

What's wrong with just the town or parish name? eg Ballina GAA Club. Or if you feel the need to make it sound even more Irish, just tag on something harmless like Roscommon Gaels or Kilmovee Shamrocks. Now if you really need an Irish patriot there, have the good sense to pick someone from way back that no one ever heard of, like Longford Slashers. Who in the blazes was Myles "The Slasher" O'Reilly? Irish saints are fine too because everyone knows the miracles they performed were just wild exaggerations like the memories we pass on of our own footballing days.

AustinPowers

Quote from: From the Bunker on March 01, 2023, 08:34:55 PM
Quote from: Eamonnca1 on March 01, 2023, 06:40:39 PM

The Wokes?

I totally agree here. We should never forget our past, but does politics belong in sport?  Are we about making potential members uncomfortable?

Well if you're going  down that route , you have to look at flag, anthem, President/Taoiseach at games , renaming Sam, etc. Plus unionists will  likely say the Irish language is political, so They'll want it gone

Eamonnca1

Quote from: AustinPowers on March 01, 2023, 07:16:11 PM
What about clubs  named after  saints?  Do we have to drop saints names in  case it offends  non-believers?

Also..... did St Patrick even  exist?  And St Brigid?  Wasn't Brigid a pagan goddess associated with spring (hence 1st February feast day) who was hijacked by the church  and given a Christian  story?

I mean , if we're just  inventing people/things,  why not Strabane Santa Claus's (sorry , any kids reading this ) , Youghal Yeti's* or Ballyshannon Bigfoot's*?

* May actually exist
Saints aren't a great choice IMO but I don't make too big a deal about that since they've become so embedded in popular culture beyond their original meaning. Same has how I don't believe in the Roman god Saturn but I'm not offended by the day of the week that we call Saturday.

armaghniac

Quote from: Eamonnca1 on March 01, 2023, 09:39:35 PM
Quote from: AustinPowers on March 01, 2023, 07:16:11 PM

* May actually exist
Saints aren't a great choice IMO but I don't make too big a deal about that since they've become so embedded in popular culture beyond their original meaning. Same has how I don't believe in the Roman god Saturn but I'm not offended by the day of the week that we call Saturday.

The saints lived in the areas concerned, so are a reasonable choice. Some other well known person from the 6th century could be chosen as well, Niall of the 9 hostages or whoever.
If at first you don't succeed, then goto Plan B

Ringfort

On the Saints thing, I've often felt in Roscommon we have an inordinate amount of St. X clubs. I think 10 or so out of total 32. Would that be a common enough ratio in other counties?

St. Faithleachs is a great one. They won Connacht inter last year or year before so was gas listening to national radio trying to pronounce it when covering their games !

Rossfan

Don't forget the fada ;)
We're a right holy lot alright with Aidans, Brids, Dominics, Josephs, Castlerea St Kevin's, Croans, Barry's, Micks, Ronans and the Fáithleachs.
Davy's given us a dream to cling to
We're going to bring home the SAM