NFL Division 1 2024

Started by Blowitupref, January 16, 2023, 08:23:27 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Manning18

Quote from: Maroon Manc on February 22, 2023, 12:12:15 PM
Quote from: An Fhairche Abu on February 19, 2023, 03:26:36 PM
Question was asked and Galway stepped it up after ht, subs all worked with Sweeney having a super showing and Tierney was excellent getting those marks at the crucial times, a tonic victory.

Looked in real trouble 10 minutes into the 2nd half as Tyrone went looking for a goal, certainly didn't look like Galway would go on to score 9 of the next 12 points.

Won't be getting carried away given conditions/pitch etc and if Tyrone had got the goal it may have been a different result but Galway showed great character to dig in with the wind and momentum against them. Tierney stood up with those marks and 3 points from play as did a good few others with Galway missing their 3 best scoring forwards in Walsh, Comer & Finnerty.

Dylan McHugh has really surprised me, didn't look upto it in the Connacht Final against Mayo in Croke Park 18 months ago but delighted to be proved wrong, looks more then comfortable at this level and gave another outstanding display.

McHughs gone from someone I thought was fairly steady and smart but not up to the level of an AI contender, to someone who looks like he'll be an absolute mainstay on the team for the next 6-7 years. He's developed a burst of pace and ability to beat a man from seemingly nowhere. Jack Glynn also looks like he's making the year to year progress you'd hope for someone of his age. The losses of Silke and Molloy (and I'm by no means writing his season off yet) looked very worrying to begin with. But the improvement of the two mentioned above, along with possibly Sweeney, and Cookes addition allowing one of Heaney or even McDaid possibly to filter back, means the situation is a good bit rosier now than before. Eoghan Kelly is entitled to improve at a rate of knots also given how newly returned he is to football. The worry would be the lack of a physical specific man marker still

tonto1888

Can't see anything other than a kerry win this weekend against us sadly

Main Street

Quote from: seafoid on February 23, 2023, 09:53:18 AM
Cake on the Rossies

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k_UlNkg7iA0
He's got the odd currant laced cross wire.
"now it's a case of looking forward to every game in the league as opposed to start of the league wondering where we were going to pick up 3 points in any game."

https://youtu.be/k_UlNkg7iA0?t=30

seafoid

Quote from: Manning18 on February 23, 2023, 02:52:08 PM
Quote from: Maroon Manc on February 22, 2023, 12:12:15 PM
Quote from: An Fhairche Abu on February 19, 2023, 03:26:36 PM
Question was asked and Galway stepped it up after ht, subs all worked with Sweeney having a super showing and Tierney was excellent getting those marks at the crucial times, a tonic victory.

Looked in real trouble 10 minutes into the 2nd half as Tyrone went looking for a goal, certainly didn't look like Galway would go on to score 9 of the next 12 points.

Won't be getting carried away given conditions/pitch etc and if Tyrone had got the goal it may have been a different result but Galway showed great character to dig in with the wind and momentum against them. Tierney stood up with those marks and 3 points from play as did a good few others with Galway missing their 3 best scoring forwards in Walsh, Comer & Finnerty.

Dylan McHugh has really surprised me, didn't look upto it in the Connacht Final against Mayo in Croke Park 18 months ago but delighted to be proved wrong, looks more then comfortable at this level and gave another outstanding display.

McHughs gone from someone I thought was fairly steady and smart but not up to the level of an AI contender, to someone who looks like he'll be an absolute mainstay on the team for the next 6-7 years. He's developed a burst of pace and ability to beat a man from seemingly nowhere. Jack Glynn also looks like he's making the year to year progress you'd hope for someone of his age. The losses of Silke and Molloy (and I'm by no means writing his season off yet) looked very worrying to begin with. But the improvement of the two mentioned above, along with possibly Sweeney, and Cookes addition allowing one of Heaney or even McDaid possibly to filter back, means the situation is a good bit rosier now than before. Eoghan Kelly is entitled to improve at a rate of knots also given how newly returned he is to football. The worry would be the lack of a physical specific man marker still
The aim of the league was to strengthen the sub options and so far so good.

illdecide

Quote from: tonto1888 on February 23, 2023, 06:00:24 PM

Agreed. Armagh will be under the cosh big time for this game and could be in line for a hiding as we have been really poor so far this year which is the complete opposite to last year where we were flying at the start of the league and everyone accused Armagh of peaking too soon. Maybe KMcG did get it worg last year and maybe we are only building it up towards Championship time but I do doubt that, I just think we're not clicking. The worrying thing is it's our more experienced players who are off the boil as you get that with the younger ones who can be great one week and mediocre the next but you expect better consistency from the older guys. As is said earlier in the week if results go against us this weekend we could be bottom come Sunday tea time
I can swim a little but i can't fly an inch

Throw ball

Quote from: RossieBull on February 20, 2023, 09:40:25 PM
Armagh were very cynical in blocking runners for kickouts. Unpunished by the ref many times despite being pointed out several times.

Going by the amount of ball they win around midfield they are obviously not much good at this!

Captain Obvious

Kerry looked way off in fitness and preparation last weekend so Armagh should get some joy against them however I'd expect O'Shea and David Clifford to start and they'll cause plenty of damage against Armagh defence that still doesn't know how to defend properly.

seafoid

I think Kerry will stay up on the last day. Armagh shouldn't be afraid of them

tonto1888

Quote from: Captain Obvious on February 24, 2023, 12:08:28 PM

Kerry looked way off in fitness and preparation last weekend so Armagh should get some joy against them however I'd expect O'Shea and David Clifford to start and they'll cause plenty of damage against Armagh defence that still doesn't know how to defend properly.

Our forwards haven't really got going this year and midfield is non existent. That's before you get to the defence

seafoid

blanketattack

Quote from: seafoid on February 24, 2023, 09:24:46 PM
Ros are 10/3 favs to win division 1
https://www.oddschecker.com/gaelic-games/gaelic-football

You might think with Championship the following week Roscommon wouldn't go full tilt if they got to the league final, but really they should - it would be their first senior national title since 1979 (or second since 1944), so they should treat it like an All-Ireland final and put it higher priority than Championship where realistically they've no chance of winning Sam.

Blowitupref

Quote from: blanketattack on February 24, 2023, 09:57:52 PM

You might think with Championship the following week Roscommon wouldn't go full tilt if they got to the league final, but really they should - it would be their first senior national title since 1979 (or second since 1944), so they should treat it like an All-Ireland final and put it higher priority than Championship where realistically they've no chance of winning Sam.

More to a championship campaign than just who wins or can realistically win Sam. A good league followed by a good championship will be high priority  for Roscommon I can imagine and would probably need to win Connacht or reach All Ireland quarter final for the latter.
Is the ref going to finally blow his whistle?... No, he's going to blow his nose

Ringfort

I think it's very long odds Ros win the league. More likely we lose narrowly up in Fortress Clones this Sunday, then we have Mayo followed by Kerry, who would back Ros vs those two? Then last game home vs Donegal who might need a win to stay up. We could lose the next 4 very very handy. The league is so even and unpredictable that's what makes it a great competition. I wish it had more prominence in the calendar.

Cunny Funt

Quote from: Ringfort on February 24, 2023, 11:10:34 PM

I think it's very long odds Ros win the league. More likely we lose narrowly up in Fortress Clones this Sunday, then we have Mayo followed by Kerry, who would back Ros vs those two? Then last game home vs Donegal who might need a win to stay up. We could lose the next 4 very very handy. The league is so even and unpredictable that's what makes it a great competition. I wish it had more prominence in the calendar.

HQ old guard too stubborn to change.  As it stands GAA calendar could easily have two important competitions but no, more focused on the championship and having a group stage for the last 16 whereby only 4 teams will get eliminated in.

Ringfort

Quote from: blanketattack on February 24, 2023, 09:57:52 PM

I agree. From the position we are in now I would be going all out for the league. All out 1000%. No Dublin, Kerry still warming up, Ulster teams in various stages of transition. Mayo are flying but won't really want a league,  it's Sam or nothing for them.

We can nab a Connacht every now and then by beating perhaps one serious team, the league (div 1) is a different kettle of fish. I don't expect us to get close to winning it but it would be my preferred target for the year from where we sit now.

The championship with its new set up is an unknown.