Bands you for forgot you liked

Started by tonto1888, March 26, 2020, 07:43:14 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ambrose

Something Happens. Listening to 'Stuck Together With God's Glue'. Has to be one of the best ever albums by an Irish band.

There's a girl in a dress in a sinful mess
With a face just made for kissing
What kind of god gives you a rod
And say's you can't go fishing

You can't live off history and tradition forever

Eamonnca1

Quote from: Ambrose on April 09, 2020, 11:14:28 PM
Something Happens. Listening to 'Stuck Together With God's Glue'. Has to be one of the best ever albums by an Irish band.

There was a bit of a golden age of Irish bands around that time, they got a lot of airplay on 2FM. Cry Before Dawn, The Golden Horde, The Adventures, etc..

Do Irish bands still get priority on 2FM?

armaghniac

Quote from: Eamonnca1 on April 09, 2020, 11:26:46 PM

There was a bit of a golden age of Irish bands around that time, they got a lot of airplay on 2FM. Cry Before Dawn, The Golden Horde, The Adventures, etc..

RTÉ Gold play all these, the tracks stand the test of time.
If at first you don't succeed, then goto Plan B

Ambrose

Definitely a golden age for Irish bands, I was listening to Cry Before Dawn earlier on youtube, their algorithms brought me to Something Happens, brings back a lot of great memories from the late 80s and early 90s.

Not sure what 2FM's position is on Irish bands, I know they used to play something like 25% Irish music back in the day. Dave Fanning was a great man for playing up and coming local bands.

Power of Dreams, Immigrints, Emmigrants and Me is next up.
You can't live off history and tradition forever

johnnycool

Quote from: Ambrose on April 09, 2020, 11:36:20 PM

Definitely a golden age for Irish bands, I was listening to Cry Before Dawn earlier on youtube, their algorithms brought me to Something Happens, brings back a lot of great memories from the late 80s and early 90s.

Not sure what 2FM's position is on Irish bands, I know they used to play something like 25% Irish music back in the day. Dave Fanning was a great man for playing up and coming local bands.

Power of Dreams, Immigrints, Emmigrants and Me is next up.

Yer Man Eoghan McDermott would play a lot of Irish bands and one's you'd not necessarily have heard much about.
Think he's left 2FM now.

bennydorano

That era of great Irish bands coincided with firstly Drumsill Hotel & then the Arena nightclub in Armagh being a proper band venue. In the space of a year or two I remember seeing: The Stunning, An Emotional Fish, Hot House flowers, Devlin, Something Happens, Saw Doctors, Sultans of Ping FC, ( think I saw them in Arena, possibly somewhere else) There's a half dozen + that I can't even remember

mackers

Cry Before Dawn played it twice as well Benny.  Once in the old night club and once in the Arena.  Both great concerts.
Keep your pecker hard and your powder dry and the world will turn.

illdecide

Quote from: mackers on April 10, 2020, 10:37:32 AM
Cry Before Dawn played it twice as well Benny.  Once in the old night club and once in the Arena.  Both great concerts.

Them were the days...you City men used to beat the shite outta us, beat us onto the buses. Why was it always a beating session after the arena...lol?
I can swim a little but i can't fly an inch

mackers

That would have been the Blackwatertown boys......mad for fighting.
Keep your pecker hard and your powder dry and the world will turn.

ONeill

Tiberious Minnows. Until I heard the story behind the minnows and Tiberious. Hit me hard in 1998 at the Pink Pussycat.
I wanna have my kicks before the whole shithouse goes up in flames.

Eamonnca1

Ice House. Underrated IMHO. Bit vanilla for a lot of people's tastes but I found it uplifting.

Baile an tuaigh

https://youtu.be/4vashrNoXTE

Opus live is life 1985. Maradona in his pump. Love this video.