Elections North and South

Started by Farrandeelin, April 18, 2019, 04:09:48 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

giveherlong

Quote from: ziggysego on May 03, 2019, 12:43:45 AM
72% turnout in Greencastle

How will the local independent candidate do?

RedHand88

If the middle parties can't make hay today they never will.

ziggysego

Testing Accessibility

giveherlong

Roughly how many first preference votes would he need?

Estimator

Looking at the results coming in from England - it looks like the Cons are being hammered because they haven't delivered Brexit and Labour are being hit because they haven't come out in favour of a 2nd Referendum. Lib Dems, Greens, Independents etc are making huge gains.
Don't think results like that will be repeated over here.

Looking at the 2014 results from Mid-Ulster:
Sinn Fein 18
Dup 8
UUP 7
SDLP 6
Independent 1

It'll probably be roughly the same, though I wouldn't be surprised to see one or two more Independents.

In 2014 the Moyola DEA elected:
Sinn Fein 3 (from 3 Candidates)
DUP 1 (from 1 Candidate)
UUP 1 (from 1 Candidate)

This year the above parties have the same amount of candidates standing as well. Plus 1 SDLP, 1 Alliance, 1 Workers Party.
5 seats available. The quota in 2014 was 1,235 with a turnout of 62%.

Ulster League Champions 2009

RadioGAAGAA

Quote from: marty34 on May 02, 2019, 11:37:07 PM
All I'm saying is people do so much complaining about politicans that they don't even vote.

Its a complete waste of time.

If the job of any minister were to be done via CV and interview process - not one of the politicians who end up being ministers would get by the first CV vetting stage.

Representative democracy where folks are "represented" by a bunch of history & politics students is insane. Its even worse when the civil service are so clearly incompetent that they **need** subject matter experts above them to hold their feet to the fire.

What do we have? Clueless civil service, even worse politicians and SPADS. :rolleyes:

And you wonder why people are disillusioned? If a political party doesn't have any member suitably qualified and experienced for the ministry roles in government - then they should be allowed to employ someone who is - but they should not be allowed to appoint any member who doesn't have a f**king clue and cannot even do a basic sniff test of what is being proposed from/going on within their ministry.
i usse an speelchekor

naka

Chatting to a fair few who didn't vote sf
Brexit/ stormont( no storming impacting in schools etc) and complacency for their votes
The main reason.

GetOverTheBar

Quote from: naka on May 03, 2019, 12:50:33 PM
Brexit/ stormont( no storming impacting in schools etc) and complacency for their votes
The main reason.

I didn't vote SF. Normally might well have. Independent Republican #1 and Alliance #2.

Main reasons above.

Snapchap

Quote from: GetOverTheBar on May 03, 2019, 12:51:29 PM
Quote from: naka on May 03, 2019, 12:50:33 PM
The main reason.

I didn't vote SF. Normally might well have. Independent Republican #1 and Alliance #2.

Main reasons above.

Not buying this line from the media that SF are coming under pressure from their base to get back to Stormont. Pulling the pin from Stormont propelled them to their two most successful elections since partition and that's not exactly ancient history.

But for those who would normally have voted SF but decided not to this time because they aren't back in Stormont - is the memory seriously that short that it has already been forgotten who it was that reneged at the last second on a deal to get back to the assembly? As far as I'm concerned, not voting for SF for that reason is naively punishing SF for the DUP's intransigence.

RedHand88

SF been given a bloody nose in the torrent DEA (coalisland, donaghmore, ardboe etc.
Independent republican Dan Kerr elected on the first count with a whopping 1500 votes, probably at the expense of the 4th SF seat now.

Estimator

Quote from: Estimator on May 03, 2019, 09:55:50 AM
Sinn Fein 18
Dup 8
UUP 7
SDLP 6
Independent 1
It'll probably be roughly the same, though I wouldn't be surprised to see one or two more Independents.

With 15 seats counted the current scoreline is:

SF: 5
DUP: 5
SDLP: 3
INP: 2

naka

But for those who would normally have voted SF but decided not to this time because they aren't back in Stormont - is the memory seriously that short that it has already been forgotten who it was that reneged at the last second on a deal to get back to the assembly? As far as I'm concerned, not voting for SF for that reason is naively punishing SF for the DUP's intransigence.
[/quote]

think its wrong to thin otherwise
council elections first chance possible to mark sf card
1 Brexit wtf are sf doing
2 no Stormont, issues with education, health etc

united Ireland, equality etc are important but jeez its a fking mess out there re jobs pressures on public services etc.

Walter Cronc

Quote from: Estimator on May 03, 2019, 02:15:49 PM
Sinn Fein 18
Dup 8
UUP 7
SDLP 6
Independent 1

Where you getting these Estimator?

thewobbler

Fair play to the English population, who are showing their incompetent politicians the door.

Meanwhile in NI.....

we deserve a shit economy folks

Estimator

Quote from: Walter Cronc on May 03, 2019, 02:50:09 PM
Quote from: Estimator on May 03, 2019, 02:15:49 PM
Sinn Fein 18
Dup 8
UUP 7
SDLP 6
Independent 1

Where you getting these Estimator?

Found on Twitter using hashtag below:
#MidUlsterElection
Also the Mid Ulster Council and various media outlets are live tweeting the count.