Roscommon v Armagh

Started by illdecide, July 02, 2018, 10:06:15 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Captain Obvious

Portlaoise at 3pm on Saturday. Double header with Tyrone Cork at 5pm

dec

Quote from: APM on July 02, 2018, 11:57:01 AM
in the good old days Ulster teams looked for a draw against Connaught opposition as a realistic opportunity to make an AI Final.

The first All Ireland championship I remember was 1974. The first year that a Connacht/Ulster team beat a Munster/Leinster team in my memory was 1991

Oraisteach

Well, if we manage to wriggle past the Rossies, I fear that the Trifecta hammering that armaghniac projected would be very likely. Still, I'd like a crack at Tyrone, if they beat Cork.

weareros

Quote from: Captain Obvious on July 02, 2018, 03:13:24 PM
Portlaoise at 3pm on Saturday. Double header with Tyrone Cork at 5pm
Pleasantly surprised they came up with a neutral venue in Leinster to suit all 4 teams. Armagh, like Kildare, are a team that have been improving throughout the qualifiers, after a poor first outing. Jury very much out on us; would be a major disappointment not to win on Saturday, though a group of death awaits the winner.

seafoid

Quote from: dec on July 02, 2018, 03:23:43 PM
Quote from: APM on July 02, 2018, 11:57:01 AM
in the good old days Ulster teams looked for a draw against Connaught opposition as a realistic opportunity to make an AI Final.

The first All Ireland championship I remember was 1974. The first year that a Connacht/Ulster team beat a Munster/Leinster team in my memory was 1991
That match was like the end of an era
After that was the first time a Connacht team beat a Leinster/Munster team- Mayo in 96
A notable mention too to Ross Carr saying it would be 20 years before a Connacht team won Sam- that was in 95 I think. Good man Ross.
"f**k it, just score"- Donaghy   https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IbxG2WwVRjU

tonto1888

Tough draw but I'm happy with it. Will let us know where we are at. Can we win? Possibly. More likely we won't but I like how Roscommon play. They aren't ultra defensive. That gives us a chance

Syferus

Quote from: tonto1888 on July 02, 2018, 06:20:40 PM
Tough draw but I'm happy with it. Will let us know where we are at. Can we win? Possibly. More likely we won't but I like how Roscommon play. They aren't ultra defensive. That gives us a chance

We play that way because it gives us a better chance to win, so that's a bad thing to take heart in.

tonto1888

Quote from: Syferus on July 02, 2018, 06:25:30 PM

We play that way because it gives us a better chance to win, so that's a bad thing to take heart in.

It's not really taking heart, it's just wenplay better against teams that play. We can't play against ultra defensive teams.

trueblue1234

Quote from: Syferus on July 02, 2018, 06:25:30 PM

I think it's more a case of you don't know how to defend.
Grammar: the difference between knowing your shit

tonto1888

Tickets ordered. Roll on Saturday

Rossfan

Joe McQuillan to Ref it I hear.
Davy's given us a dream to cling to
We're going to bring home the SAM

Farrandeelin

Quote from: Rossfan on July 02, 2018, 10:01:22 PM
Joe McQuillan to Ref it I hear.

To make up for the non-Ulster venue, they appoint an Ulster ref. Not that it matters one jot.
Inaugural Football Championship Prediction Winner.

DuffleKing

Lol. Joe has done us over so many times you should be counting Jehovah, Allah, Thor or whatever deity you usually credit with this stuff.

Tubberman

It's not easy to support the Rossies given that one of them invades every thread with his hyperbole and ad hominem responses, but I'm going to try.
Up the Rossies!
"Our greatest glory is not in never falling, but in rising every time we fall."

Kuwabatake Sanjuro

Quote from: DuffleKing on July 02, 2018, 10:05:37 PM

Lol. Joe has done us over so many times you should be counting Jehovah, Allah, Thor or whatever deity you usually credit with this stuff.

He hasn't been too bad for Kildare post McGeeney to be fair.