Antrim, the way forward

Started by Milltown Row2, October 30, 2015, 09:53:31 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

delgany

Alot of wheeling and dealing will  be needed  now.   6  for SV   6 non  SV . Chair  has major  role to pplayin delivering  sustainable progress  and  improvement.   Not quite the  night of the  long  knives.  Lets hope  they can work as an all star team !

Milltown Row2

Quote from: delgany on December 07, 2015, 11:43:00 PM
Alot of wheeling and dealing will  be needed  now.   6  for SV   6 non  SV . Chair  has major  role to pplayin delivering  sustainable progress  and  improvement.   Not quite the  night of the  long  knives.  Lets hope  they can work as an all star team !

Main roles taken up by SV??
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

cnma

Vision did better than I thought they would. Some of the margins surprised me. It was a wipeout. They missed a trick not running candidates against Murray & Eastwood. They were gimmes.

I believe that misunderstanding/confusion led to TE being elected; I heard GMG believed TE had withdrawn so withdrew also so that position would be left vacant requiring co-option later. It was widely believed he would easily beat TE but didn't want to serve under Joe, and in the event of Collie being unsuccessful he would have been stuck. Unfortunate!

JimStynes

What was the carryon?

Someone give us a summary of the evening.

cfclg

Quote from: hardstation on December 08, 2015, 10:38:59 PM
They were basically downright rude to anyone who asked a question, often shouting at them to sit down, refusing to answer questions, shouting people down and just shouting that they were moving on without acknowledging questions. On one occasion Jim Murray shouted, "I don't know what you're talking about, sit down" to a man who was only half way through his question. It was totally embarrassing and shameful.

Better than the "fcuk off" answers he gave at a meeting with CSC members I suppose.

I don't know the guy and have never spoken to him but does anyone have anything decent to say about Jim Murray??? Honest question

Gizzy15

Quote from: cfclg on December 09, 2015, 09:57:31 AM
Quote from: hardstation on December 08, 2015, 10:38:59 PM
They were basically downright rude to anyone who asked a question, often shouting at them to sit down, refusing to answer questions, shouting people down and just shouting that they were moving on without acknowledging questions. On one occasion Jim Murray shouted, "I don't know what you're talking about, sit down" to a man who was only half way through his question. It was totally embarrassing and shameful.

Better than the "fcuk off" answers he gave at a meeting with CSC members I suppose.

I don't know the guy and have never spoken to him but does anyone have anything decent to say about Jim Murray??? Honest question

a face (and attiude) that only a mother could love

MoChara

All change in Antrim as Saffron Vision take the county reins

SAFFRON VISION claimed a resounding victory at Monday night's Antrim County Convention, with six of its eight members winning a place on the new county committee.

It took just 20 minutes for the 139 delegates present in the Dunsilly Hotel, Antrim to set the pattern for the remainder of the two and-a-half-hour event when Collie Donnelly, one of the 'Saffron Vision Eight', was elected chairman to succeed Jim Murray, whose five-year tenure had come to an end.

The St John's former vice-chairman was a clear winner - 88 to 51 - over Joe Edwards, whose nine-year association with the county board ended. The 53-year-old Donnelly, who played both hurling and football for his club and county, comes to the executive with a clean sheet, having little previous involvement in county administration, although he did serve for five years on the hearings committee.

Saffron Vision, who served notice of their intentions to shake up the county in late October, continued to celebrate when member Pól Mac Cana was elected treasurer. The St Enda's clubman was 15 ahead of St Paul's Billy McLarnon and will now fill the position vacated by Brendan Wilson, who did not seek reelection for personal reasons.

Just minutes later, the writing was on the wall for the existing executive when long-serving member Danny McLernon and Frank Smyth did not count against Glen Rovers man Philip Christie, who was elected on the first count as Central Council delegate. Christie, a farm grant consultant, has previous experience at executive level and is currently treasurer of the Armoy club.

The landslide continued when Glenravel's Alec McQuillan was elected as one of the Ulster Council delegates and will accompany James McLean, who retained his position.

Saffron Vision members Brendan Mulgrew and John Hart missed out on making it a clean sweep as they were beaten to the PRO and cultural officer posts, respectively.

Putting his personal disappointment aside, Mulgrew was delighted with Monday night's outcome and said: "It's time for a new Antrim."

"The clubs have spoken and they've decided on a new course, which means wholesale change. The votes were carried by big, big margins. There was a mood for change. The real job starts now for the new officers. And the fact that the people who have been elected, no-one will fault them for their hard work and dedication.

"Nowhere around the country would you see as big a change as that in one night."

Seán Kelly of St Malachy's edged out Mulgrew for the PRO position, 75 to 62, while Bronagh Lennon got the nod for the cultural officer post with a strong majority. Gort na Móna's Terry Reilly took the assistant secretary position, defeating Stephen Boyle by 36 votes and will work alongside existing secretary Frankie Quinn, who has one more term, at least, to serve.

Elsewhere, Cushendall's Malachy Delargy beat former PRO Seán Fleming to the vice-chair position with 39 votes to spare.

In his final address, Jim Murray, who took the new development officer position, said the county committee had made their decision and the challenge was to be welcomed. He did, however, comment on the personal and hurtful comments made during electioneering period before adding that he had a dream for county hurling and football, Casement Park and the Centre of Participation and Dunsilly.

New chairman Collie Donnelly said it was a great honour to be elected and expressed his group's thanks to all the clubs visited in the past six weeks. After the results were announced, former Antrim footballer Anto Finnegan remarked on Twitter that it was important to acknowledge the contribution of the outgoing officers.

The St Paul's man tweeted: "A number of great Antrim GAA servants losing out tonight at county convention. Their contribution should not be forgotten #AontroimAbu."

ELECTED OFFICERS
Chairman: Collie Donnelly; vice-chair: Malachy Delargy; assistant secretary: Terry Reilly; treasurer: Pól Mac Cana; assistant treasurer: Tyrone Eastwood; development officer: Jim Murray; coaching officer: Columb Walsh; language and cultural officer: Bronagh Lennon; PRO: Seán Kelly; Central Council delegate: Philip Christie; Ulster Council delegates: Alex McQuillan and Jim McLean.

http://www.irishnews.com/sport/gaafootball/2015/12/08/news/all-change-in-antrim-347365/

culchie11

the dust has settled now after convention, well done to all the successful candidates but it is nice to see one of our county players paying tribute to the outgoing men. some had v long service to our county and deserve thanks for taking on jobs when nominations werent forthcoming from clubs. our new county board will hopefully right a few wrongs of the past few years and good luck to them. it is our county so we all hope we can be proud of it again and make news for the right reasons!

Na Glinntí Glasa

I notice the twitter account has went into over drive this past few days tweeting and re-tweeting. Its good to see as social media, when used correctly, can put a strong message forward.
hurl like f**k boi!

cnma

I have heard that GMG is still willing to assist SV team if they want him; not all of previous officers have been tarnished

cnma

Any news on how things are progressing within SV team?

delgany

CCC   in  a mess   no one willing to step up
....the role was usually held by vice chair! ( wee man),    Not  much   vision there

Milltown Row2

Quote from: delgany on January 06, 2016, 06:23:51 PM
CCC   in  a mess   no one willing to step up
....the role was usually held by vice chair! ( wee man),    Not  much   vision there

That's it... Close down the doors and merge with Down and Derry!!! Get a grip ffs
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

bannside

Was in Antrim town half an hour ago and called into Dunsilly to see what's happening there (slightly influenced by recent discussion on the Antrim hurling thread) and I am pleased to report that there were three or four workmen there.

I spoke briefly to the foreman and he says if the weather picks up they should have the changing rooms etc finished in three to four months. Only thing holding them back a bit is the weather and I know in our own development in Portglenone it's the weather holding things up a bit there too. Other than that things seem to be on track alright there thankfully.

Na Glinntí Glasa

thats good to hear bannside. hopefully the work continues along.

How is the development at your place going now incidentally? Last time i was there for a match all the trees had been felled and alot of clearing had been done.
hurl like f**k boi!