Galway v Kerry. Super 8s Round 1. 15 July Croke Park.

Started by Mayo4Sam14, July 08, 2018, 12:30:33 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

seafoid

Galway by 3. I don't think the Kerry franchise is what it was.
"f**k it, just score"- Donaghy   https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IbxG2WwVRjU

Kuwabatake Sanjuro

Galway won in the league, it wasn't exactly a weak Kerry team out in that. Kerry will be better but Galway have to have belief that they can take them again.

Baggio90

Galway have a very week half back line and a very iffy full back line, I can see this being badly exposed against Kerry. Think the Kerry midfield will dominate too.

Maroon Manc

Quote from: An Fhairche Abu on July 08, 2018, 05:00:36 PM
If Galway show up, play well and have cut at them I'll be happy enough, see where that takes us, if Kerry are as great as its made out then even a really good performance mightn't be enough.
What can't be accepted is a repeat of last year's performance against Kerry which was a disgrace, beaten before they walked on the pitch, if that happens again then whatever brickbats are thrown at Galway will be deserved.
The fact that this is not a "win or go home" match will help the Galway lads mentally I think.

Agree with that, nobody really giving Galway a chance in this game or to come out of the group. I can't recall seeing any pundit tip Galway to go any further.

Manning18

Quote from: Baggio90 on July 09, 2018, 12:08:50 AM
Galway have a very week half back line and a very iffy full back line, I can see this being badly exposed against Kerry. Think the Kerry midfield will dominate too.

Half back line fair enough. How did you come to the conclusion that the Full Back line was "very iffy"?

seafoid

You could start at last year's qf and see how teams have changed in the meantime
Galway are much tighter at the back and had a decent league.
What about Kerry ?

Jayop

Well played Galway!! One of the best things I've read in a long time.

twohands!!!

Quote from: seafoid on July 09, 2018, 11:54:27 AM
You could start at last year's qf and see how teams have changed in the meantime
Galway are much tighter at the back and had a decent league.
What about Kerry ?

Galway had a very settled side during the league - especially in terms of their backs.
Kerry in the league had way more rotation/experimentation/injuries/whatever you want to call it.
Galway had 19 players who played 7 or more games in this year's league campaign; Kerry had 2 players who played 7 games.
Galway did play one game more (the final) but I think the stat gives a huge indication into how settled Galway were in the league compared to Kerry who seemed a bit thrown together.

The two teams from last year's quarter-final

QuoteKerry
1. Brian Kelly (Killarney Legion)

3. Mark Griffin (St Michaels-Foilmore)
2. Fionn Fitzgerald (Dr Crokes)
4. Shane Enright (Tarbert)

7. Paul Murphy (Rathmore)
6. Tadhg Morley (Templenoe)
5. Peter Crowley (Laune Rangers)

8. David Moran (Kerins O'Rahillys)
9. Jack Barry (Na Gaeil)

10. Michael Geaney (Dingle)
11. Johnny Buckley (Dr Crokes – captain)
12. Donnchadh Walsh (Cromane)

13. Paul Geaney (Dingle)
14. Kieran Donaghy (Austin Stacks)
15. James O'Donoghue (Killarney Legion)

Subs

18. Stephen O'Brien (Kenmare) for Michael Geaney (39)
20. Jack Savage (Kerins O'Rahillys) for O'Donoghue (48)
17. Anthony Maher (Duagh) for Barry (54)
21. Barry John Keane (Kerins O'Rahillys) for Donaghy (57)
22. Killian Young (Renard) for Morley (63)

Galway
1. Bernard Power (Corofin)

2. Eoghan Kerin (Annaghdown)
22. David Walsh (Kilannin)
3. Declan Kyne (Clonbur)

5. Gary O'Donnell (Tuam Stars)
6. Gareth Bradshaw (Moycullen)
7. Liam Silke (Corofin)

8. Paul Conroy (St James')
10. Tom Flynn (Athenry)

9. Johnny Heaney (Killannin)
11. Micheal Daly (Mountbellew/Moylough)
13. Shane Walsh (Kilkerrin/Clonberne)

15. Sean Armstrong (Salthill/Knocknacarra)
12. Ian Burke (Corofin)
14. Damien Comer (Annaghdown)

Subs

4. Cathal Sweeney (Killanin) for David Walsh (38)
23. Eamonn Brannigan (St Michael's) for Shane Walsh (44)
19. Michael Farragher (Corofin) for Bradshaw (52)
21. Fiontán Ó Curraoin (Mícheál Breathnach) for Daly (57)
18. Cillian McDaid (Monivea-Abbey) for Flynn (63)

No teams named yet but would expect there to be less changes in the Galway side compared to the Kerry lineout, based on what we've seen in the league and championship so far.

Kuwabatake Sanjuro

Kerry should only have 7 of the 15 that started last year playing. The young lads coming through are serious players but the ones gone like Johnny Buckley and Donnchadh Walsh were very solid players to replace.
Sean Andy and Lavelle are 2 big additions to last years Galway team and with Paddy Tally's influence defensively I can't see Kerry having it all their own way up front.

An Fhairche Abu

The Croke Park record is so bad since 2001 that there's no point in ignoring it, the Galway lads don't know what it is to win a championship match there and it's showed on numerous occasions. Galway had umpteen chances to get into a good position last year against Kerry, they had no belief that they could beat Kerry or had any confidence in themselves bar Ian Burke who looked like he didn't care who was playing in the opposition jerseys.

Kevin Walsh was talking to GBFM in the run up to the match last year and it sounded like he was thanking them for the coverage during the year as if he expected to lose that weekend and not have the chance again, unbelievable stuff to be quite honest.

If that attitude turns up again next Sunday Kerry will win at their ease, and by as much as they want.
Maybe I'm a country mile out but I don't foresee that kind of craven performance this time around, I expect them to show up and if they do they'll give Kerry a match, whether that will be enough to get anything out of it is to be decided.
All that said, if these Kerry lads are the new "class of 75" as advertised then it'll hardly matter what Galway do either way.

seafoid

Quote from: Kuwabatake Sanjuro on July 09, 2018, 10:22:15 PM
Kerry should only have 7 of the 15 that started last year playing. The young lads coming through are serious players but the ones gone like Johnny Buckley and Donnchadh Walsh were very solid players to replace.
Sean Andy and Lavelle are 2 big additions to last years Galway team and with Paddy Tally's influence defensively I can't see Kerry having it all their own way up front.

Kerry had to go back to the drawing  board in the autumn because they were a long way off Dublin's level,  not just last year but for several years. This cuts very deep in Kerry.

Bringing in a load of young lads is no panacea these days. They have to do the iterations. They have to be able to make the best decision for the team at any moment. This requires not just slipped and pace but also spatial awareness. Plus power.

https://www.rte.ie/sport/gaa/2018/0627/973716-brennan-galway-remind-me-of-kilkenny-in-their-pomp/
 "they are really talented and well able to hurl, but you have to have the complete package. Two or three years of strength and conditioning is requisite now for anyone."

Another problem with younger players is shot/pass selection.
Here is a hurling example at 3.44

https://youtu.be/zyowergNnwY

He didn't see who else was available and he shot wide. The exact same issue as in football.

Compare to the way to do it  at 0.49

The new players could be the nucleus of a very successful team down the road.

But it less likely to happen in time for the World Cup final. 

Galway footballers have been together longer as a team, have built up more experience and if they have learnt from 16 and 17 they will have several advantages over Kerry

From the Bunker

Ah, Seafoid, Kerry this and Kerry that! Bar losing to Mayo in 2017. (Which Mayo huffed and puffed to do coupled with leaving Aido back in front of his own square to mind the physiologically fragile mindset of the Mayo player.) Kerry have lost to no one other than Dublin in the last half a decade or so in Championship! Their Croke Park record is very strong and they always know how to control games. There is a lot of talk about the young boys (media Speak) but Kerry will still have a plethora of old heads in responsible positions to steady the ship.

Kerry like playing the old Galway. Nice football, open football, not much cynical and always at arms length on the home strait. The new Galway may ruffle Kerry's feathers, but not enough to end their Croke Park hoodoo!

An Fhairche Abu

Not saying you're wrong in terms of how it's going to pan out but if Galway - like they clearly did last year - go in with the attitude that Kerry can't be beaten they'll get soundly walloped.

Jinxy

Would be great to see the two teams just go at it.
If you were any use you'd be playing.

Maroon Manc

Last years performance was disgraceful, Galway were beaten before they left the dressing room and a despite a very average Kerry performance they won 8 points. Galway still though created a lot of chances, missed a lot of good goal chances and kicked some ridiculous wides.

I'd like to think Galway will do better on kickouts, last year Galway were annihailated on them; We lost so many of our own, let Kerry go short far too often and when they were forced to go long Kerry completely dominated. Galway have certainly improved on kickouts this year and there's clearly more of a plan in place so would expect to do far better on them. Peter Cooke & Jack Barry was a fair contest in the Sigerson should they both start although the only way I see Cooke starting is if KW starts with all 3 midfielders. Flynn was dire last July but does appear to have upped the ante this summer. Conroy needs a good game, he's been very average since the league final and that needs to change.

Who knows what Galway wil turn up though, I do think Galway have improved in the tackle and have turned more ball over this year and just look like more of a pest to the opposition in general but putting this into practice is whats its all about and during the first half against Roscommon this didn't happen.