Things that make you go What the F**k?

Started by The Real Laoislad, November 19, 2007, 05:54:25 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

sid waddell

Quote from: laoislad on December 30, 2020, 10:10:35 PM
The reaction to the shooting of this fella George Nkencho.
f**k me pink, he wasn't shot because he was black ffs. He was shot because he lunged at a Guard with a knife and after beating up a supermarket employee beforehand.
From the video it looked like he was shot in the back

Serious questions to be asked

It's really weird how a lot of people on the internet are rushing to justify it without knowing all the facts

armaghniac

I've no doubt that this was dangerous individual. I do wonder though if they can tranquillise a rhinoceros with a dart why something similar is not feasible in this case.
If at first you don't succeed, then goto Plan B

trileacman

Quote from: armaghniac on December 30, 2020, 10:51:14 PM
I've no doubt that this was dangerous individual. I do wonder though if they can tranquillise a rhinoceros with a dart why something similar is not feasible in this case.

Takes a good 5-10 minutes for most tranquilisers to work. Be a bit of a wait between shooting a lad and him hitting the deck.
Fantasy Rugby World Cup Champion 2011,
Fantasy 6 Nations Champion 2014

GetOverTheBar

Quote from: sid waddell on December 30, 2020, 10:46:38 PM
f**k me pink, he wasn't shot because he was black ffs. He was shot because he lunged at a Guard with a knife and after beating up a supermarket employee beforehand.

It's really weird how a lot of people on the internet are rushing to justify it without knowing all the facts

The ERU aren't called for the craic.

He threatened the public, twice in one day with a knife (one with a facial injury).

Not hard to imagine where the probabilities of what happened next was likely to happen. The ERU won't have been briefed this was a guy not right in the head prior. They cannot shoot their weapon unless under threat or a series of pre existing boxes have been ticked. Colour is not one of those.

armaghniac

Quote from: trileacman on December 31, 2020, 11:47:29 AM

Takes a good 5-10 minutes for most tranquilisers to work. Be a bit of a wait between shooting a lad and him hitting the deck.

For someone with a knife, could you not just keep out of his road for the 5 minutes, or throw a net over him?
A gun would be totally different, of course.

gallsman

Quote from: armaghniac on December 31, 2020, 12:11:23 PM

For someone with a knife, could you not just keep out of his road for the 5 minutes, or throw a net over him?

That's not the question you should be asking it. It should be can you reasonably be expected to do that without incurring serious injury or worse.

trileacman

Unless your assailant will happily volunteer his age, weight and known allergies the tranquilliser is just as likely to be lethal or stone useless.
Fantasy Rugby World Cup Champion 2011,
Fantasy 6 Nations Champion 2014

sid waddell

Quote from: GetOverTheBar on December 31, 2020, 12:04:26 PM
Quote from: sid waddell on December 30, 2020, 10:46:38 PM

The ERU aren't called for the craic.

He threatened the public, twice in one day with a knife (one with a facial injury).

Not hard to imagine where the probabilities of what happened next was likely to happen. The ERU won't have been briefed this was a guy not right in the head prior. They cannot shoot their weapon unless under threat or a series of pre existing boxes have been ticked. Colour is not one of those.
It wasn't the ERU, it was the ASU

Jeepers Creepers

They are trained marksmen. Why not shoot in the arm/leg if it was clear he didn't have a gun or was carrying explosives. States included.

gallsman

Quote from: Jeepers Creepers on December 31, 2020, 12:38:29 PM
They are trained marksmen. Why not shoot in the arm/leg if it was clear he didn't have a gun or was carrying explosives. States included.

They are trained to shoot the mass of the chest and torso. More likely to hit and for bullet to be stopped, therefore less chance of it travelling through and hitting someone else.

The legs also have major arteries in them.

Tony Baloney

Quote from: gallsman on December 31, 2020, 12:43:21 PM

They are trained to shoot the mass of the chest and torso. More likely to hit and for bullet to be stopped, therefore less chance of it travelling through and hitting someone else.

Yeah, I know it would be preferable to "wing" an assailant but everyone should know by now it's pretty much a global standard that marksmen go for centre mass.

armaghniac

Quote from: trileacman on December 31, 2020, 12:29:33 PM

Unless your assailant will happily volunteer his age, weight and known allergies the tranquilliser is just as likely to be lethal or stone useless.

A person's weight and age can be reasonably guessed by looking at them. If a person has allergies and dies, then that cannot be helped.

gallsman

Quote from: Tony Baloney on December 31, 2020, 12:50:32 PM
Quote from: gallsman on December 31, 2020, 12:43:21 PM

Yeah, I know it would be preferable to "wing" an assailant but everyone should know by now it's pretty much a global standard that marksmen go for centre mass.

Winging someone also much less likely to stop them.

armaghniac

pbat

Reading up on the sad case of Garda that took his own life on Monday partly on the back of the abuse he received since Gemma O Doherty streamed him doing a routine stop. Probably cant link her directly to his death but hopefully she gets her justice in other ways some night.