Best Local GAA Papers In Your County

Started by OakLeaf, November 15, 2006, 10:23:04 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

theskull1

In North Antrim it would be the Ballymena Chronicle (part of the mid ulster newspaper group thingy me jigger)

Worst would be the ballymoney times & ballymena guardian....they devote more to pigeon racing, angling and the darts & pools leagues than they do to GAA...for the life of me I cannot understand why people buy them...but they do
It's a lot easier to sing karaoke than to sing opera

Redhandfan

Tyrone
Tyrone Times: Outstanding club coverage...they go to great efforts to produce a report on every senior, intermediate and junior league and championship game.  County coverage is pretty dismal...they are much too negative and sensationalist when it comes to reporting on the county senior side and, as a result, they are now being denied interviews by the Tyrone senior players and management.  Club notes are often edited and reducd in length.  The 'Hughes Views' column often provokes much debate and, despite all the criticism it receives, is probably widely read.

Dungannon Observer: Includes detailed and comprehensive coverage of all club and county affairs but is a bit bland. Tries to copy many of the Tyrone Times ideas to spruce up its GAA coverage.  Club notes are always printed in full which is a good thing.

Tyrone Democrat: See Dungannon Observer.

Tyrone Herald: It is refreshing to have a local paper that comes out on a Monday but it could feature even more GAA coverage than it does.  Still a decent read.

Ulster Herald: I have only read it a few times as it is from 'the other end of Tyrone'!  Seems like a decent enough paper with fairly extensive GAA coverage.

Tyrone Courier: Francie Mooney is the main GAA writer here and does a decent enough job.  Does not include enough club notes as the deadline for copy is too early in the week!

Armagh 
Armagh Observer: Joe McManus has to be the most biased inter-county match reporter I have ever read.  When Armagh lose, it is ALWAYS the referee's fault.  The Armagh players and management are rarely criticised.  Although club notes are always printed in full, the coverage given to club football generally is quite poor.  Only a handful of big club championship fixtures are reported on by a neutral writer while too much space is devoted to an U-14 North Armagh league fixture for example.

Ulster Gazette: John Morrison is the main GAA writer here.  Enough said really!